Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Example of a Day meal menu

Can someone who has a lapband post a menu of what they would eat in a day ....

I am curious to know just how much a person can eat with the banding...

:scared2:

Can someone who has a LAP-BAND® post a menu of what they would eat in a day ....

I am curious to know just how much a person can eat with the banding...

:smile:

Hi Majj

Below is a typical menu for me.

Breakfast

Steel Cut Oats with a 1/2 scoop of Protein powder, a few rasins, and a few walnuts, cinnamon, and splenda brown sugar blend

Or, a smoothie made with light yogurt, frozen fruit, splenda, and about 1/2 or skim milk, and a scoop of Protein Powder.

Or, scrambled eggs

Or, cottage cheese and fruit

Usually, lunch comes to 300 to 400 calories

Lunch

I make up batches of low fat Protein foods on the weekend when I have time and freeze them in one cup plastic containers to take to work, so that I don't go out and buy too much food. Some of my favorites are.

Turkey Chilli

Black Bean Soup

chicken Stew

No Crust Quiche

Turkey meatloaf

I have a piece of frest fruit that is in season. Right now, I love Honey Crisp Apples.

Usually, dinner comes to 300 to 400 calories.

Dinner

Grilled fish, I really love salmon

Grilled chicken

salad with a small 3 oz can of tuna

salad with feta cheese

Every now I have a small beef steak

I try to have a vegtable with my dinner.

Again, dinner usually comes to 300 -400 calories

Or, if I go out to eat I look for low fat grilled food.

I try to stay away from white flour, potatoes, white rice and refined sugar.

On a special occasion, once in a while, I will have a very small dessert. I find when I eat sweets, I just want to keep eating, so I stay away from them most of the time.

I found that once I started losing the weight, and feeling better I didn't want the sweets as much. That's not to says that sometimes I don't crave things, but I try to find a healthy subsitute when I have cravings.

Hope this helps, and have a Happy Valentines Day,

Karen

Edited by KarenIn
Added more text

I do push the limits of the food budget 1300-1500 calories per day vs. the typical 800-1200 quoted by most doctors. I do this for 4 reasons: 1) I think that they (the doctors) under estimate the amount of Protein. The higher I keep my Protein the better weight comes off. 2) I lift weights and feel I need the extra protein, 3) I want to keep my metabolism in as high a gear as I can, 4) based on my target weight 190 lbs. I won’t have to make many changes when I get there.

Keys for my menu:

First, one of my key tools is Vitol Egg Protein Powder.

Second is packing all my meal in 8oz plastic containers so I don’t have to guess.

Third, we make most of the items below in a big batch on Sunday and uses them during the week.

Fourth, sometimes you have to eat out, when I do I stick to fish or soups/stews they are easier to digest.

Fifth, I avoid directly adding carbs because they make my hungry between meals.

Breakfast (5 am)

Option 1: 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites, 1oz low fat cheese and sliced peppers and mushrooms

Option 2: 1 Cup oatmeal with Vitol Egg powder 2 Tablespoons (adds 24Grams of Protein)

Option 3: 1Cup fat free yogurt with Vitol Egg powder 2 Tablespoons (adds 24Grams of Protein)

Mid-Morning (9 am)

Option 1: 1Cup fat free yogurt with Vitol Egg powder 2 Tablespoons (adds 24Grams of Protein)

Option 2: 8oz Diced chicken salad

Option 3: 2 String cheese and 1oz. Almonds

Option 4: MuscleMilk Protein shake

lunch (Noon)

Option 1: 1 cup Turkey Chili with 1 oz of Cheese

Option 2: 1 cup fat free fried Beans with diced, onions, peppers and salsa

Option 3: 8oz Diced chicken or tuna salad

Pre Work Out Meal Late Afternoon (4 pm)

supplements – Nitric Oxide Drink with Creatine, Gummy Vitamins, Gummy Omegas

Option 1: ½ Cup fat free yogurt with Vitol Egg powder 2 Tablespoons (adds 24Grams of Protein)

Option 2: 4oz Diced Chicken Salad

Option 3: 1 String cheese and 1oz. Almonds

Option 4: MuscleMilk Protein Shake

Post Work Out dinner

Option 1: 6 oz Ahi Tuna Steak in olive oil and lemon pepper

Option2: 1 cup chipotle chicken crock pot stew with carrots, onion, mushrooms, peppers

Option 3: 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites, 1oz low fat cheese and sliced peppers and mushrooms

so its o.k to eat more than 3 meals a day , I thought we were only suppose to eat 3 times a day ...

Sounds like plenty of food in your diets... :angry:

I'm being banded on July 1st and my nutritionist has my diet to include 3 meals and 1 snack (with a total of 77-84g of protein).

5am

coffee or projoe coffee drink (20g protein)

Breakfast 7am

greek yogurt w/protein powder (40g+)

or Protein smoothie (40g+)

or scrambled egg whites (i don't like yolks) with Protein powder and cottage cheese (40g+)

lunch 11:30/dinner 5:30 (15g+)

1oz. turkey or chicken breast (sliced deli meat)

1oz. cheese (mozz., provol., pepper jack, etc.)

Soy chips

or black bean tostada w/cheese

or turkey chili w/beans and cheese

or 2oz. salmon/chicken, 1tbs. starch (potato, Pasta, etc.)

or hummus w/1oz. grilled chicken

or 3oz. tuna/chicken salad w/walnuts

or 1oz. turkey/chicken/tuna and 1/4 cup cottage cheese with salsa

or layered dip with shredded chicken, oaxaca cheese, black Beans and salsa w/a few baked tortilla chips

Snack 3:00 (7g+)

28 dry roasted almonds

or 2 tbs. pb, 3 saltine crackers or a sliver of mult-grain toast

or 1/4 cup cottage cheese/SF Jello

or 1oz. string cheese and SF Jello

I know I have YET to be banded...but this was kinda a run down of the choices we discussed last week based on what and when I currently eat.

GOOD LUCK!

Your diets sort of disappoint me. I thought once I got banded I could eat whatever I wanted only in smaller quantities.... I sick of diets... been dieting for 20 years.... What you people are eating is what I am eating now and I'm not losing at all.

Hi,

I'm just following the plan my Dr. has for me. You can always make it as interesting as you want. I had 2 weeks pre-op Liquid Protein. :party: (I make shakes, Broths with unflavored powder, Iced tea & coffee, homemade Lime & or Lemon aides, Mocha blends, etc.)

I'm 5 days post-op with 9 days left of Protein Drinks :cursing:!!!

Those menues sound pretty darn good to me :scared2:. I can't wait for my first REAL food in a month :thumbup:!!! Then 2 weeks of soft/mushie food. By that time they'll probably tell me I need a fill :Banane20:??

I think you can spread your meals out to 4-5 plus Snacks. Just keep in your days allowance??

Hang In there!!!

Hi Majj

Below is a typical menu for me.

Breakfast

Steel Cut Oats with a 1/2 scoop of Protein powder, a few rasins, and a few walnuts, cinnamon, and splenda brown sugar blend

Or, a smoothie made with light yogurt, frozen fruit, splenda, and about 1/2 or skim milk, and a scoop of Protein powder.

Or, scrambled eggs

Or, cottage cheese and fruit

Usually, lunch comes to 300 to 400 calories

Lunch

I make up batches of low fat protein foods on the weekend when I have time and freeze them in one cup plastic containers to take to work, so that I don't go out and buy too much food. Some of my favorites are.

Turkey Chilli

Black Bean Soup

chicken Stew

No Crust Quiche

Turkey meatloaf

I have a piece of frest fruit that is in season. Right now, I love Honey Crisp Apples.

Usually, dinner comes to 300 to 400 calories.

Dinner

Grilled fish, I really love salmon

Grilled chicken

salad with a small 3 oz can of tuna

salad with feta cheese

Every now I have a small beef steak

I try to have a vegtable with my dinner.

Again, dinner usually comes to 300 -400 calories

Or, if I go out to eat I look for low fat grilled food.

I try to stay away from white flour, potatoes, white rice and refined sugar.

On a special occasion, once in a while, I will have a very small dessert. I find when I eat sweets, I just want to keep eating, so I stay away from them most of the time.

I found that once I started losing the weight, and feeling better I didn't want the sweets as much. That's not to says that sometimes I don't crave things, but I try to find a healthy subsitute when I have cravings.

Hope this helps, and have a Happy Valentines Day,

Karen

Hi Karen,

I don't think I told you today?? "YOU LOOK MARVELOUS!!!!!!

I also pushed the boundaries on calories, and always ate about 1500 to lose. I really think its paid off, i can eat 2000 calories a day to maintain now, which is a very very normal caloric intake for a 5ft 10, 150lb woman. With my running and bootcamp, I think my metabolism is nice and fast.

Hi Not not sure why this its not letting type and space normal but would like to see more sample meals.........

My 2 year anniversary is Oct. 27th, I have lost 80 pounds. My food intake varies. After a fill I am very limited to what my body will accept. I am much more careful about what I eat and how much. You cannot eat mindlessly or your gonna be hurtin. Right now I need a fill, gonna get one on Nov. 1st, I ate a 1/2 of a hamburger with lettuce and ketchup, chew well, about 7 seasoned fries and a diet pepsi for dinner. I had cottage cheese about 4 slices of pineapple and a glass of crystal lite for lunch. I stay away from pancakes, bread, pizza, rolls, ice cream and anything that has tomatoes...I had learned from trial and error. No two situations are the same. I have learned the hard way a couple of times and was quite miserable. I eat pretty much what I want only in small quantities and chew well! I have gone from 260 to 180 it has been a long and winding road, but I would do it all over again. I want to lose 30 more..I am 5'4 and don't feel like a circle anymore,,,LOL.

I'm not losing weight at all. It might be my age, I'm 69. I'm filled to #5 not sure if that's a lot or not but I can't imagine filling more because I'm constantly suffering with vomiting, especially at the beginning of the meal. I chew very good. I can't eat the things they want me to like meats... I have a problem getting them down. So I lean toward eating what I know I can swallow without vomiting which is ground beef and very very tender chicken.

I don't know how Sandra (above) can drink diet soda. I was told that carbonated beverages is taboo. I have not had any since my surgery 3 yrs ago. Otherwise, Sandra's looks very good. Congrats Sandra. I envy your loss.

Once I get past the vomiting stage when eating, I can consume more food than I think I'm supposed to. So I might need a fill, but I'm afraid to because of the eating problem.

I miss pizza so we discovered pizza Hut's Thin and Crispy pizza. The crust is paper thin and you just get it with cheese or onions etc. I can eat a whole piece. I usually get a one trip to the salad bar first and then one piece is enough.

Would love to hear from other seniors and how they are doing with their weight loss. I'm ready to give up. Dieting for over 3 years is depressing.

I'm not losing weight at all. It might be my age, I'm 69. I'm filled to #5 not sure if that's a lot or not but I can't imagine filling more because I'm constantly suffering with vomiting, especially at the beginning of the meal. I chew very good. I can't eat the things they want me to like meats... I have a problem getting them down. So I lean toward eating what I know I can swallow without vomiting which is ground beef and very very tender chicken.

I don't know how Sandra (above) can drink diet soda. I was told that carbonated beverages is taboo. I have not had any since my surgery 3 yrs ago. Otherwise, Sandra's looks very good. Congrats Sandra. I envy your loss.

Once I get past the vomiting stage when eating, I can consume more food than I think I'm supposed to. So I might need a fill, but I'm afraid to because of the eating problem.

I miss pizza so we discovered pizza Hut's Thin and Crispy pizza. The crust is paper thin and you just get it with cheese or onions etc. I can eat a whole piece. I usually get a one trip to the salad bar first and then one piece is enough.

Would love to hear from other seniors and how they are doing with their weight loss. I'm ready to give up. Dieting for over 3 years is depressing.

How active are you? When you plateau its a good idea to change what sort of activities you are doing and even change some of the foods you eat because your body has got used to them. Have you looked at Paleo foods? I cant eat anything with starch or wheat so I try to eat foods that taste yum that dont have any of the high calories or additives I cant eat.

This website is awesome for some low carb options that allow you to eat like a 'normal' person. In particular the cauliflower pizza is amazing!!!

http://yourlighterside.com/

You asked: How active are you?

I walk a mile a day, weather permitting. Thank you for the link. I'll look it over. I really apprecaite your help. I just had foot surgery so I can't walk for a while and am really worried about gaining.

For Breakfast I eat the same everyday. I can't eat anything that's not soft as I'm very tight in the a.m. I take two graham crackers and smear Peanut Butter on very thick and dip it into a hot cup of Decaf coffee (with just creamora). That softens up the cracker so I can eat it. I try to incorporate Protein into every meal.

lunch is pretty tight too. Since I also can't manage bread unless toasted, I just eat whatever we had for supper the night before onlly a much smaller portion. If there wasn't any leftovers... I will eat Progresso Lite Soup, minus the broth. Sometimes I make myself a meatloaf and eat a few slices (small loaf) for lunch.< /p>

Supper I eat whatever I cook for my husband. I can eat two hard shell tacos. I can eat a whole chicken breast or a hamburger and veggies.

If I eat a snack it is usually a handful of mixed nuts. Protein keeps me satisfied. Before bed I eat a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich or a banana.

I don't eat anything with flour or sugar... (taco shell is corn). I don't drink any caffein, carbonated beverages. For spaghetti, I usually make a spaghetti squash with sauce or I found some sweet potato/whole wheat flour gnocchi's that I have occasionally.

I can't possible walk farther than a mile... I could last year, but with all the problems with my foot, and arthitic knee, I just can't. I baby sit daily for a 3 yr old and she keeps me pretty active.

Again, thanks for the help. It is very appreciatedf.

Barbee here's what I usually eat. I eat alot of foods that I maybe shouldn't but they taste so good. I usally try not to eat them but sometimes they creep in.

B-i have started to make a very large breakfast and divide into 7 days in containers put in freezer then I heat it up in microwave.

I either take a pkg of sausage turkey lowfat etc. Or turkey bacon. I use all of each. I brown the ssusage until crumbly. I use a handful of frozen red, yellow, orange peppers that I have bought in bulk and clean them and slice them put in freezer after frezing them on a cookie sheet so they don't stick.

Next I use olive oil to fry the peppers and lg diced onion.

Then I take 5 eggs w/ yolk and 5 whites add a little skim milk fry those up.

Take each bowl and add several spoonfuls in 7 containers. Cool then stick in freezer. I drink a cup of hot tea b/c my throat is tight after that I can eat my breakdast fine.

Btw if using turkey bacon instead of sausage I cut the whole pkg into small pieces and fry them until slmost crispy.

L- Cottage cheese 1/2 c. To 3/4 c. With half a cup of crushed pineapple with some peanuts

D-usually a casserole and noodle mixed in cream Soup with cheese. I use crockpot to make up chili, meat sauce, veg beef soup usually have a full cup maybe a little more. Iwas banded august 2013 and havent been filled yet and take close to 30 pills a day. It's hard to get them all down divided into 4x a day.

I've lost only 25 lbs. I go 2-3 lbs up and down. But with fill I might make some progress. I don't know if I get enough Protein but think I do. Right now eating more than suppose to. I hope you can find foods you can eat. Just go on Facebook and get receipes friend Karen White who sells skinny Fiber which shouldn't be good for us we need food to fill up on. Or go to receipe sites. Good luck.