Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quest for the Ever-Elusive Flat Stomach

I've decided I'm on a mission to get my body to a point where I feel comfortable in a bikini. I've been working very hard with food choices and hitting the gym, and have been very very pleased with the results so far. I'm happy with my back, arms, and even my thighs... BUT the dreaded stomach is killing me!!! :cursing:

My skin has been very kind to me, and I feel fortunate to have decent elasticity still. My lower stomach (formally known as my "pooch") is ok in my mind. Its the area above my belly button that I am having issues with. It's like my belly button has created a little shelf for a pocket of fat and skin to sit on and it won't go away!!!! Grrr... lol Additionally, I have a protruding port that doesn't help the matter (which also sits right in the aformentioned shelf area) and makes me look even more lumpy.

DH thinks my tummy looks great as is (smart man!), but also believes having a port revision will help my concerns drastically. I'm not so sure.

I have an upcoming consult with a great plastic surgeon, just to pick his brain. I want to know if I'd theoretically be a canidate for Lipo, or a mini TT, or if a full TT would be necessary (hope not!).

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

wow! you look great!. I just had a full TT and from what I can see i wouldn't think you would need a full, maybe just some Lipo. good luck

OMG, you are the first person I've ever read to describe exactly my problem. Everyone has these aprons, I have a perfectly flat lower belly, but a pooch above the belly button.

When i grab my skin and pull down as in a traditional Tummy Tuck, it barely imnproves the upper belly. I am afraid they would have to do that T incision and then you cant wear a bikini anyway. Or they'd have to put the hip to hip incision high. When they say you can wear a bikini, they often mean an awful 80's version where the bottoms come up to your navel.

when I grab my upper belly skin and pull up, voila! Perfect, flat stomach WITH visible six pack. There is such a thing as an upside down tummy tuck where they put the incision under the breasts, but I cant see that anyone in Australia does it, its a very rare procedure and lord only knows what the scarring would be like. Normally what they'd do is a traditional tummy tuck with a vertical incision also (the upside down T) to pull you into the middle, to get at that upper belly skin. I wasnt even fat there! But it must be from pregnancy, I always did carry very high.

I'm 42, I've had 3 babies and lost a frick of a lot of weight and I'm super super fit. I've decided to just wear my body with pride and focus more on how great I look for a 42 year old mother of 3 rather than focus on how I dont look like a 20 year old.

At the end of the day, I figure I can wear a lycra dress and look good in it, all I need is some Spanx for the saddlebags, lol. I can look great in fitted tops, tight Tshirts, anything I want to wear. So the choice is to just wear that bikini with pride or to simply wear a tankini instead. Personally, I dont think I'll seek out any sort of surgery.

You look insanely good in your pic. But you're probably young and I can understand the bikini thing and wanting to fix it. Its a bit different when you're old like me, lol.

Edited by Jachut

Hello again,

I've been collecting info the past few days and thought I'd share what I found.

I met with a great plastic surgeon, and he, without hesitation, said "full tummy tuck." Grumble grumble :-/ I guess I was somehow wishing for a new magical procedure to emerge between Lipo and a full TT! lol

With that info, I posted photos and my question over at realself.com and now have 10 out of 10 plastic surgeons agreeing that I'd get pretty great results with a full TT and possibly some liposculpting. If you click the link it will take you to the photos of my stomach; I welcome anyone else's respectful opinion on my conundrum.

My hesitations with a TT are of course the invasiveness, recovery time and cost, but honestly my #1 concern is going through all of that and just trading in one odd-looking belly button for another. Many people look fantastic after their TT, but after looking at hundreds and hundreds of TT photos, I have to say that very often the navel is left looking a little "off." Maybe I'm being trivial, but I'm just not sure it'd be a fair trade off for me personally.

Those of you that have had a TT, do you like your new belly button?

vonhelzing: Thanks for the compliment! Congrats on your weightloss and TT :-) I'd love to see photos!

Jachut: I'm so glad you stopped by and commented! I've followed you progress and think you look fantastic! I don't know what's up with this belly button shelf thing, but it's always nice to know you're not alone. You look amazing in your bikini though! I think my problem is significantly more severe than yours (for example, the word deformity is kicked around on the link I provided). I'm working on the self-love-rock-what-I've-got attitude. Its funny, I feel very confident in any type of clothing nowadays, it's just the flippin' bikini that brings the insecurities out!

smsmithart: I appreciate the heads up, you look so great! How long would you say it was until you felt totally 100% again after you PS?

Edited by Allison925

Allison: I have to tell you I think you look great. Does that little bit above your belly button bother you that much?

Just my opinion buy I really do think you look great.

Just a quick update on my flat stomach quest! I had a port revision last week, and am hopeful for the results :-) I'm still swollen and bruised, but I can't feel my port anymore! I've been taking some photos, and will post progress pics after the swelling goes down....

Good luck with it all - actually your tummy looks a LOT like mine, maybe its a little more severe but not by much. I also have a big lump where my port is.

How did you find the port replacement- easy to get over?

Allison,

Due to a hiatal hernia I had my band removed on Tuesday. Although I'm not close to goal, my tummy area has never been large. But that above the navel area has looked funky since I was banded. I didn't mind because I'm older than dirt, my legs look like crap so there's no possibility I'll be wearing a swim suit of any sort without spandex from bust to ankel. LOL Anyway after my port was removed already my tummy doesn't look funky even with surgery swelling still going on.

MY DH had a TT two years ago. He'd lost 170 lbs... most in his tummy. So he had massive loose skin to be removed. And the improvements are immense, but his navel looks odd. Some people don't get to keep their navels and that can look even funkier if one is "created." The trade off in his case was well worth it.

Good that you are thinking it through before spending tons of money for improvements that might only satisfy your plastic surgeon.

looks like a lot of weight looss and not much skin hanging how much weight did you loose?:unsure: I need to looase 122lbs and very scared about the stomach hanging hard i'm hoping exercise will help it be a very min amt any suggestions?

Allison - Try the body wrap applicators at www.wraptodaylosetoday.com they are absolutely awesome, they tone, tighten and target fat and toxins!! Review the body slimming testimonials and look at before and after photos - they are affordable and they work! I use them and many of my friends, too many great reviews to list here!! I am using them throughout my Lap Band journey - they Rock!!

Allison, tell us more about your relocation....I look like I have an alien about to pop out!!!! Did you switch to a low profile? How does it feel?

Thanks for any info you can share!!!

Mimi

Has anyone tried that new Xerona laser? Its like a rotating laser light that waves over your trouble area to mobilize fat but no incisions...I saw it on a talk show for a fit woman who couldnt exercise off a tummy bulge and it looked good. I wonder if having the port in there would be a contraindication. I have seen that they have it in Sacramento and I'm sure in LA and SF...any info??