Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chit Chat

Just thought I will start chit chat thread, if you have something you would like to share please feel free to share it here.

I have a sleep study coming up on the 20th and I cant imagine I will be able to sleep at all especially when I know someone is watching me sleep. Granted its not some creepy person outside fogging up my window LOL but I still will know they are watching me. Not to mention all of the cables and cords that I'm sure will be hooked up to me, how do they expect me to sleep?:w00t: I'm sure a lot of you have had to do one of these things, how was your experience?

I am so glad that I found this site. I just turned 26 and this procedure is something I have considered for quite a while. I am going to a seminar in my area on the 21st of this month and am excited and nervous at the same time. I know that beginning this journey will be one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have a few question. For one, is a sleep study always required or is it case by case? I had my gallbladder removed about 8 months ago and other than some basic bloodwork I didn't have to have any other special tests. Also, what kind of support systems does everyone have? I am very uncomfortable discussing any of this with people so this site is a godsend! (Not to say that you guys aren't people, its just so much easier to chat online!) I have been on some kind of diet or another practically since I was in 4th grade. I also worry about some of the documentation because I have always refused to be weighed at the doc's office. Sorry for the ramblings. I really need to organize my thoughts!

Hey Ash.... I am 26, I have really bad sleep apnea and have had 2 sleep study... I actually didnt find them that hard to do... I would take a little bit of a sleep melt before going in (its a otc sleep med) and once i was awake i slept like a baby..

I was worried about the wires too cause I am a resless sleeper but those wires really do stick well and they do a good job at taping them so you kinda forget they are there..

good luck!

I am so glad that I found this site. I just turned 26 and this procedure is something I have considered for quite a while. I am going to a seminar in my area on the 21st of this month and am excited and nervous at the same time. I know that beginning this journey will be one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have a few question. For one, is a sleep study always required or is it case by case? I had my gallbladder removed about 8 months ago and other than some basic bloodwork I didn't have to have any other special tests. Also, what kind of support systems does everyone have? I am very uncomfortable discussing any of this with people so this site is a godsend! (Not to say that you guys aren't people, its just so much easier to chat online!) I have been on some kind of diet or another practically since I was in 4th grade. I also worry about some of the documentation because I have always refused to be weighed at the doc's office. Sorry for the ramblings. I really need to organize my thoughts!

Hey Shelly, I'm sure we all feel the same way to some extent, I know I'm nervous. So many of us if not all have been there and done the diet thing. There are a couple different factors that will determine if you need a sleep study and other tests, not everyone is the same. It really depends on how you will be paying for the LAP-BAND, such as self pay or through your insurance co. Just try and soak up as much info as you can from the seminar and don't be afraid to ask questions. I bet you will walk away fairly confident in your decision. Good Luck and we are all here for you. :)

Hey Ash.... I am 26, I have really bad sleep apnea and have had 2 sleep study... I actually didnt find them that hard to do... I would take a little bit of a sleep melt before going in (its a otc sleep med) and once i was awake i slept like a baby..

I was worried about the wires too cause I am a resless sleeper but those wires really do stick well and they do a good job at taping them so you kinda forget they are there..

good luck!

Thanks for the info Liftingchic, I haven't ever had a history of sleep apnea and Im hoping that I still don't. The only problem Im having is trouble falling asleep. Its odd when I started school last summer all that stopped I slept like a log, but I took this semester off so I could get the surgery done and not miss any school and I swear now its the same thing again ugh!

Edited by ash23

Thanks for the info Liftingchic, I haven't ever had a history of sleep apnea and Im hoping that I still don't. The only problem Im having is trouble falling asleep. Its odd when I started school last summer all that stopped I slept like a log, but I took this semester off so I could get the surgery done and not miss any school and I swear now its the same thing again ugh!

Anyone told you that you snore?

If you dont fall asleep for a set amount of time, most sleep labs give you a sleeping pill to help you fall asleep. I took my MP3 player with me too, it helped me relax and fall sleep..

Good luck!

Anyone told you that you snore?

If you dont fall asleep for a set amount of time, most sleep labs give you a sleeping pill to help you fall asleep. I took my MP3 player with me too, it helped me relax and fall sleep..

Good luck!

Well I asked around and they said very lightly. I hope they do give me something that will help me fall asleep because I'm definitely going to be out of my comfort zone.

Heyy!! I'm actually glad someone asked about the sleep study because I have to go to one soon as well. I was worried about the wires since I am too a restless sleeper. I know someone said they took some otc medicine to sleep I was planning on doing the same thing but didn't know if it was allowed. When is your sleep study scheduled for?? I haven't set mine up yet but I'll definitely keep you posted.

LIftingchic is right .... at my sleep study, they told me if I wasn't asleep by a certain time, they would give me a sleeping pill because they really needed me to sleep for a certain amount of time in order to have solid test results. So of course, I didn't fall right asleep as I normally do, and they gave me a sleeping pill. Out light a light.

My sleep study is tomorrow and I'm so nervous! I know its not that much of a big deal but still its going to be nerve racking for me. :mad: I think I will go buy some good gossip magazines and I will definitely be asking for a sleeping pill.

I'm pretty sure they provide cable TV too :-)

Yep mine had a tv and a radio... I watched a dvd too:)

Good luck! try not to worry too much about it, i promise its not that bad!

Good luck tonight Ash!