Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

-4 this Week--& this is HOW

Well that's 50 gone for me now. I've really been working hard at this--especially the last few weeks-- since my brother's wedding is THIS Saturday. I'll see a lot of people there I only see every few years and some of them haven't seen me since I was 312#.

The last few weeks I've been averaging 1000 calories per day and working out about 90 minutes daily. I get up in the morning and do 20-30 minutes on my elliptical trainer, walk 20 minutes at my lunch break and then walk the dog for 40-50 minutes every night (also do about 15 minutes of free-weights several nights a week while watching TV). Even with all that I've only been losing 1-2 pounds a week. That didn't really surprise me because I know from past experience that the less you have to carry around--the harder you have to work to get what's left off! So last week I got something called a "Walkvest" (walkvest. com) and did my morning and eveining workouts with additional weight added. The walkvest goes up to 16 pounds, but you're supposed to start w/ 4# and add in 1/2 pound increments. I didn't even feel it after walking w/ 4 pounds so I went up to 8 right away and did this all week.

That is the ONLY difference between last week and this week so I think adding this weight really helped. I'll only know for sure if the bigger loss keeps up consistently for a few weeks, but I thought this was pretty exciting so I thought I share it with you.

A big ole Operatic "Waaaaaaaaa..."

$80+ buckaroos! Man, what a great idea, keep those hands free, carry more weight than you could carting hand and ankle weights, a place to put your CD player...great idea! Wow, great find Kare! Buy one for me? (hint, hint) kidding. Too pricey for me, as much as I hate that. :(

You could use wrist & ankle weights on a standard belt for the same effect... Just loop the belt through the weights for as much added as you want.

Just a thought.

Wait a second, I need a walk vest! I can't carry my handweights because I need my hands free for pooches. Kare, you're rockin. I need some before pics because the HOT one in your avatar already looks like a model. Motivate me!

You could use wrist & ankle weights on a standard belt for the same effect... Just loop the belt through the weights for as much added as you want.

QUOTE]

Maybe. But you have to be very careful about the way you distribute weights so you don't hurt your back. I think it's dangerous to use wrist and ankle weights unless you're already pretty muscular. They're very hard on the knees and wrists. If you wanted to create a cheap weight vest I think you could do it pretty eaily by taking a heavier weight vest (like denim) and sewing lead fishing weights all over it--or possibly lead weights that they sometimes put in the bottom of draperies (maybe an upholstry store would have those).

Yeah, the walkvest is a little pricey--but not much considering how much the band cost. And I'm sure I'm saving at least that much on food during a week or two. I also like that it comes with a walking workout CD (I just loaded it onto my Ipod) that gives you some extra motivation. Don't get me wrong--sometimes all that "shoulders back--PUSH from the ground--tummy in" stuff can get a little nagging sometimes so I don't listen to it every time, but now and then it's good to be reminded to stand up straight.

:(

With your seamstress abilities, you could make one easily DeLarla--and add some clips for dog leashes. When I had a 145# akita I used to walk him w/ his leash looped thru an ARMY belt around my waist. That was the only belt strong enough, but it worked great. You can get one at any army surplus store.

BTW... there was an article about "product placement" in movies & TV shows this weekend and I was wondering if you're getting a commission from Pepsie for all your soda threads! Maybe you should copy them, send em to Pepsico and ask for a check!

hmmm, I do 98% of my walking with a different walk vest... my BOOKBAG :(

But it's too soon after my 4th fill to know if it has had any effect, other than the 3 hour drive (round trip)

hmmm, I do 98% of my walking with a different walk vest... my BOOKBAG :(

Oh my. Bookbags are a KILLER! Even a purse backpack makes my shoulders ache. A full-on bookpack like my son wears would just do my lower back in. How many # does your bag usually weigh?

I wonder if it would be possible to come up w/ something to more evenly distribute the weight of books? It would probably look ridiculous (with books in back AND front) but could sure be helpful if you have to trek any distance.

hmmm, I dunno how much mine typically weigh... let's see, 2- 3 hardbound books, spiral bound notebook, notebook computer & power supply, graphing calcultor, various pens and pencils, 1 liter Water bottle, various junk....

100 pounds? :(

I'll weigh it eventually

Well, where you carry the weight is important. I hope you aren't hurting your back with that backpack. I asume you're not doing "power walks" with it.

I am very sold on this walkvest thing. I can't remember a time after the initial loss that I've lost 4 pounds two weeks straight. Since I'm walking w/ 8 pounds in it and I've lost eight in the 2 weeks wearing it I've evened out how much I'm actually taxing my body. I think I'm going to try to keep to the same low-cal high workout pattern for another week just out of curiousity so see what happens.

Vinesqueen - check the weight on that backpack. I had to weigh mine when I took the laptop,workbooks, etc on a recent trip that I ran through 4 different airports wearing and it weighed 32 pounds!!! After that I ended up carrying my backpack and another bag in front with some books.

Kare - glad to hear the weight vest works. I have been looking at it for a couple of years (off and on) Maybe when I get home from vacation I will order one.