Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

bypass versus lap band

I go in for my preop next week and I am scheduled for surgery 3rd week of June. I have been planning on the lapband but I have heard some horror stories that now have me second guessing myself. Bad infections being one and "weight gain" being another. How the heck can weight gain be a problem? I'm also worried about health problems that may occur as a result of the banding and my new eating habits. Are there side effects? I've heard with a bypass, gallbladder removal usually comes after a year due to it failing from lack of protien. Anything like that with banding?

There is an entire section, just for people who have lost their bands. Read through it, and you will learn all of the complications and things that can go wrong.

Weight regain? With RNY, for sure, but Lapband? I'm sure it is similar, but for completely different reasons.

In my opinion you are focusing on the wrong decision, you should be evaluating the Gastric Sleeve versus Lapband. Both have different positives and negatives. Learn them all and really think about which one is best for you.

RNY? Probably not as good as the modern sleeve, but most insurance companies won't pay for it. I personally, would rather self pay for a sleeve then have insurance pay for RNY.

Do the research on both.

I go in for my preop next week and I am scheduled for surgery 3rd week of June. I have been planning on the lapband but I have heard some horror stories that now have me second guessing myself. Bad infections being one and "weight gain" being another. How the heck can weight gain be a problem? I'm also worried about health problems that may occur as a result of the banding and my new eating habits. Are there side effects? I've heard with a bypass, gallbladder removal usually comes after a year due to it failing from lack of protien. Anything like that with banding?

DEFINITELY check out the "VERTICAL SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY" section of this forum ... there are some very knowledgeable people on there, plus several who have gone from band to sleeve ... I was set on the band; however, after attending a seminar by a surgeon in town -- who said "If I needed to have WLS surgery, the sleeve is definitely the way I would go. It's the new bad boy in town." Plus, after doing my own research and reading all the threads, I am going for the sleeve. My surgery is June 12th with Dr. Acves in Mexicali, Mexico. My insurance doesn't pay for WLS so I am a self-pay; however, I don't have a problem with that and feel that the price is worth my health, my life, and my sanity. They say with the band you only lose about 30-50% of your weight; whereas with the sleeve you lose about 80% (I think those are the numbers, if not exact, close at least)

I wouldn't do anything before doing your research and being 100% comfortable with your decision .... Good luck on your decision.

Also, if you do end up being a self-pay, it is less expensive to have the surgery in Mexico. Check out this link -- thanks to WASabubblebutt ... it's very helpful...

HOW TO RESEARCH A MEXICAN SURGEON:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f11/resea...s-101-a-66635/

Thanks for the replys. My insurance covers the band or the bypass so I have to choose between the two. I have a choice between two brands of lapband but that's it. I was originally going to go with the band but then some people who had the bypass said they knew people with the band who have had problems with infections and or weight gain. They said they were happy with the bypass even though they both had gallbladder failure a year after the surgery. After reading comments on "this" forum, I'm now back to considering the lap band. It's not an easy decision.

Wilkie

I was one of those luckly folks who got a port infection along the way. Yes, this resulted in two additional small surgeries and yes it was a pain in the butt BUT I would do it again in a minute.

I like to think of my self as a typical guy - I ate too much at one sitting and too fast - both things the Lap Band helps address.

I think people that elect to have one type of surgery will always feel strongly about thier choice and try to "show you the light" but you have to make the choice that is going to work best for you.

Silvers, I'm glad to hear from someone who is happy with the band. I'm pretty sure this will be my choice. It seems there are problems that can occur with either one so I guess it's the lesser of two evils. The biggest thing in favor of the band, for me, is that fact that it is reversable.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My favorite food is pizza and if we go out for it, I'll eat 5 peaces without batting an eye and that's more than 1000 calories right off the bat for just that meal. After this, no more of that, maybe a "bite" or two, if I even want it at all. I'm practicing now for the big lifestyle change. I'm drinking more Water, eating small meals and watching my calorie intake. I wasn't told I have to lose anything before the surgery as some people do. I just want to teach myself now so it will be easier later.

I'm so unhappy with the 140 lbs excess that I'm carrying around. I can't wait till the pounds start coming off. :purplebananna:

It is not an easy decision, I like you have struggled with the way to go and have decided and am schedled for the band next week. Why, it is reversable, it is less invasive surgry, I have always been able to lose weight but not able to keep it off, my girlfriend had this surgery and has had very positive results. While you hear a lot of horor stories on LBT I think that the actual overall percentage of difficulties is pretty small and often due to not following the program correctly. Of course there are some unavoidable issues as well but I consider the risk of those to be less than the risk of staying this weight and facing the related health consequences of that. Good luck on your decision.

Gallbladder problems are extremely common with EITHER surgery, and indeed any weight loss without surgery. and it doesnt happen due to lack of Protein, it happens becuase weight loss can cause a shift in the levels of bile salts and cholesterol in the body which causes stones to develop or causes silent stones to become symptomatic.

You're at risk of that with ANY large weight loss, dont let that put you off either surgery.

Oh I have had it with the hole "It's reversible" thing.

That is NOTHING but a sales pitch.

Sure you can have it removed, but why would you want to? And if you do, it is because of a problem, that problem is still there, so who cares.

Less invasive - no cutting up my insides was a big draw for me. I walked out of the hospital 4 hours after surgery and walking around the next day. Another big draw is the fact that is adjustable - I never feel deprived and can control my hunger. pizza ? Went out with my girls the other night for dinner at the local pizza joint. Oredered a slice and as always think I can rifle through it - but with the band, I am done before I finish the crust and am full / satisfied. It also forces me to eat slowly, chew, chew some more and enjoy. One of the best decisions I ever made.

I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to do the band. I'm already eating right so it shouldn't be too hard for me to eat very small amounts after the band is installed. I've always struggled with my weight and excercise was the only way for me to stay in shape. After retiring from the Navy in '98 I stopped excercising and the weight started coming at a rate of about 10 -15 lbs a year. Due to my health, I "can't" get out and start excercising again, legs hurt, I have a herniated disc in my back, and I have early stages of C.O.P.D. Once I get the weight off I'm hoping to get back on an excersize program.

Not sure why anyone would get mad about people saying it's reversable. :redface: Advertising ploy or not, it's nice to know that if there are complications, it can be removed! :crying:

I just hate sales ploys. And it really is just a ploy. If the day comes and it gives you problems, you aren't going to be relieved that it can be removed, you are going to be pissed that it didn't work.

I can understand the argument when comparing it to GB, but not when comparing it to GS.

Why would you ever want to reverse the band, unless it wasn't working.

It is like saying, "I like that car, because if it breaks down I can go buy another, or I can just walk everywhere". Well, that really kind of misses the point. But, it does help people with the fear factor, and that I can understand.

I can understand the argument when comparing it to GB, but not when comparing it to GS.

Why would you ever want to reverse the band, unless it wasn't working.

I "am" comparing it to a GB. The sleeve is not available to me through my insurance. And I did say, "if there are complications" it's good to know it can be removed. If I were to get the bypass, and there are complications due to it, I can't get that reversed.

Steve - I dont think I meant it like you took it, I meant it was reversable in the event there was an unforseen complication that made it necessary, after all the trouble I have had to get the band I dont want to give it up. But unlike the GB or BS you cant undo that once it is done, so if there are major problems or complications you can't sew the stomach back together. I agree this is big business and it is a lot about money and all that, but I am ok with that if it gives me tools I can use to end my battle with weight gain once and for all.