Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with Artificial Sweetners? Sugar Free stuff

anyone else having problems with aspartame? I've had the worst joint pain the past couple days and I am thinking I'm having a reaction to all the aspartame I'm intaking through crystal light and other 'sugar free' stuff. :rolleyes:

I can't use it. It gives me headaches, loose stools, nausea. From the research I've done on it, it's nothing more than poison. I don't eat margarine either. I eat real butter and olive oil and I use turbinado sugar or honey. All used in extreme moderation of course. A teaspoon of sugar has approximately 16 calories. I think I can handle that......That's all I need in a cup of tea. I don't think a lot of people realize that wierd symptoms they have may be from artificial sweetners. I avoid it like the plague.

thanks aubrie. i've never heard of turbinado sugar but i do know honey. I will have to switch things up now. i've been in too much pain lately.

Aspartame is poison, it is outlawed for consumption in several countries including Japan because it causes many health problems. All the things mentioned above and in enough quantity it can imitate the symptoms of MS.

There are quite a few sugar substitutes out there, my favorite is agave nectar, it's really low on the glycemic index, natural and is really low in calories. Stevia is also a good substitute but I find it too sweet.

Aspartame is poison, it is outlawed for consumption in several countries including Japan because it causes many health problems. All the things mentioned above and in enough quantity it can imitate the symptoms of MS.

There are quite a few sugar substitutes out there, my favorite is agave nectar, it's really low on the glycemic index, natural and is really low in calories. Stevia is also a good substitute but I find it too sweet.

I also hate artificial sweeteners. They give me headaches, especially in something hot. I have been using Stevia and really like it. It tastes better and I have no reaction to it.

thanks guys. What do you all drink for beverages? I think I was getting most of the aspartame through Crystal light. I was just getting so tired of just Water that I switched over but it's so not worth the pain.

Turbinado sugar is raw cane juice sugar. It's still sugar, but it's in it's raw form. It's not processed and bleached white with chemicals. It's a light brown color. You can get it organic as well, so the sugar cane hasn't been sprayed with pesticides. I have tried stevia and for whatever reason, I found it bitter, but I know a lot of people like it. I found some crackers the other day that were sweetened with molasses which is also good. Very high in Iron.< /p>

Paxie,

I try to limit the SF stuff (I try to buy the ones that use Splenda as it is not as bad as Aspertame for you) and I use Stevia (be aware that Truvia and Purvia say they're made from Stevia, but have been chemically altered).

I've been trying to drink more skim milk. I'm not a milk gal, but with a little SF choc. Syrup, or pudding mix I can get it down. Try a fresh slice of lemon or lime in your Water, it helps.

Thank you to both! I appreciate the explaination and the suggestions!!!

I saw my doctor today and she had NEVER heard of anyone having any reactions to aspartame. She suggested I ask my nutritionist. But all the same - I'm going to avoid it for a while. I'm still hurting today. I read that it can take up to 60 days to go through our system? Really?! Gawd I hope not.

I tried stevia and man...it is sweet...too sweet. I think I will try it at half doseage and see if I like that better. I actually like splenda...but man... I just dont want to risk hurting any more.... I may do that in smaller doseages for a bit.

But thank you all again.

I too hate the artificial sweeteners. They give me headache and upset stomach. I was reading on some websites about homemade fruit H2O and it's really good! Just plop some frozen mixed berries or strawberries, peaches, orange slices, whatever you like in a pitcher of Water and leave it in the fridge. Sometimes I add a lemon slice to my water bottle when filling with the fruit water too. Very refreshing, healthy and delish!:rolleyes2: