Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Tight.....Sometimes

Successfully banded for around 18 months now. Two months ago I went in for a fill. It was tight, but I could eat very small portions for 6 days. On day 7 I ate a normal lunch and then had a soda around 2 p.m. Around 4 p.m. I tried a glass of juice and had trouble drinking it. I started spitting constantly and shortly after that could not even keep Water down. I had my band deflated and all was well. I went back in to be tightened. The water drink test went fine immediately after the fill. One hour later I could no longer drink again and had the same problems I had before.

Has anyone had an experience similar to this?

I have been filled too tight once. I would consider asking for a SMALL unfil of about .2cc. As little as that can make a difference. I certainly wouldn't want all Fluid removed; I'd rather take baby steps backward until I'm comfortable.

I have had problems similar to that. It sounds to my like you have developed a bit of inflammation for some reason. I would try to take it easy and lean towards liquids for a few days and see if that helps.

If not, you may want to check with your doctor.

My body is super sensitive to fills and to anything that gets even remotely stuck.

SODA?? I have not heard from anyone that was aloowed to drink carbonated beverages with the lap band. Very brave soul, I guess. WhenI had fill #9, I was good for about 3 weeks and then started getting tighter every day.. I re-adjusted what I was eating and the time I was alotted for eating(30 min). So I actully cut out my morning fruit/ yogurt. Then next I cut out the afternoon fruit. So I was down to ONLY 3 meals that I could not hardly get down what I should be eating. Protein Shake in the Morning.The coffee gurgled as it went down as did anything else for the first 4 hours of the day, then I could have my breakfst of yogurt and cereal/oatmeal mix. I went 9 weeks like that, not losing any wt either, except after the days when dinner came back up at least 1x/week. So he did a .4 unfill, so Hopefully I will be back on track to losing that last 10 lbs. All my prior fills had either been 1.5, 1.0 or .5. The last one,I had I knew I was close but he gave me a full 1.0cc. I could have probably been ok with just a .5. ( I am 16 months out) I love my band, I woud=ld not trade it for anything, It keeps me honest..

So you went 9 weeks of taking in virtually no calories and still didn't loose any weight? How is that possible? At any rate, the problem here comes when the band is so tight that I can't lay down or swallow my own saliva. It has only happened twice, but I'm interested to see why Water passes fine one hour and not the next. Someone mentioned the inflammation. I'm just wondering what causes inflammation when in both cases, no food was consumed in between drinks spread out two hours apart.

Also, a couple people commented on the soda. I have generally heard "no soda" although both of my doctors know that I drink it and never told me to stop. Since soda is a high/wasted source of calories it makes practical sense to tell people with eating disorders not to drink it (or anyone for that matter). I have also read of extremely rare cases where it contributes to slippage. Has anyone ever heard any compelling scientific evidence not to drink soda or is it likely just a calorie issue?

I was told NO CARBONATION .... and my doctor knew my weakness was DIET COKE (zero calories). I don't think that it relates to the potential for slippage but for regular consumption, the stretching of the pouch.

I remember in my younger days sitting in a bar with a bunch of friends and someone, trying to be funny, slipped a condom over the top of a beer bottle ... and the expansion of the carbonation in the beer inflated that condom pretty quickly. I certainly don't want to stretch my pouch out so that teh band can't do it's job restricting what I eat. I mean, why would I have done this in the first place if I wasn't willing to make a few changes.

And, soda, regardless of whether it is diet or regular isn't good for you. It can damage the enamel on your teeth, disclolor your teeth, contribute to anemia and some other things.

The carbonation in the soda may be causing your inflammation issues at this point. I thought that was also an issue in band erosion. Sounds like you may be trying to "work around" your band. It still is only a tool. You still have to follow the guidlines for successful use. Once the stomach wall starts to lose the thickness of fat this will probably ease off. They can check or "unfill" to see how much of the saline actually stayed in when the Tubing was hooked up to the port at the time of surgery. When I watched a Surgery cam on the Lapband. It showed the tubing and band started with the saline, but as if was hooked through the fastener and the port it was a natural squeeze to expel the saline, meaning dependign how thick your stomach was is to how muh actually stayed in the band. I don't think most of the DR's put any fill in at surgery because of the swelling. The swelling normally takes care of the restriction for the time being. The other necessary factors are exercise, that fat won't shed by itself.. You just need to get your metobolism started, a little at the time, you willmake it through this hurdle, and then there will be another one.. Good luck..

I was banded on 2-27-09. i have lost a total of 44.6 pounds including the pre-op diet. My first fill was on 5-5-09 and I have had trouble since then. The night of the surgery, I vomited several times and my husband said I gurgled in my sleep. I have not felt right since then. I do better when I take super small sips and tiny bites. I am worried that my band has slipped. Any body have any suggestions or ideas?

Patches

It sounds like reflux to me. Is it acid-y/burning? Try taking a good antacid, like Zantac before bed and see if that stops it. If so, I would then talk to my doc.

I'm experiencing that acid reflux burning sensation more frequently and especially at night. I have not had fills or unfills in since April of last year. Lately though I can only drink Protein Shake in a.m. and about 5pm I can eat a normal bandster dinner. I am happy with my current weight, but still want to take off about 13lbs. Have not had any weight loss in about 6 months. I do not want to go for a fill...I think I'm tight enough. Am struggling with going for a slight unfill. Last time I had slight unfill I gained about 12 lbs. What recommendations out there for the night time choking on acid? Am taking tums now.