Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Costa Karihaloo

has anyone had this doctor as their surgeon? if so, what did you think?

Yes I had Costa and apparently he is a good surgeon.. No bedside manner though.

I have not had him personally but I know someone who did go to him (for a tumour in the stomach). There is a story please do not dismiss it because what I am about to write is a factual account and I just ask that people read it and keep it in mind.

The person in question visited Dr Karihaloo on referral. It was established that she had a benign tumour in her stomach. Costa told her that hif the tumour removal didn't help her then her problem could be something else. She went through the whoile operation procedure only to wake up and find that he didn't remove it but instead he lasso'd it. He basically told her that she should be able to continue with life (despite the fact that the tumour was slowly growing). A few weeks later she started experiencing the same stomach issues so she visited him, he was there with a young intern and he made her feel like it was all in her head and that it wasn't a tumour and she should get that through her head (I think he had been watching kindergarten cop that morning because in all reports he listed it as a tumour!!). For the purposes of showing off to his intern (thus contributing to her inevitable cynicism earlier than expected) he allowed this woman to leave the office thinking she was a mental case. The problems continued and eventually she was able to have it removed by Karilahoo's partner Dr Jon Gani, whom was a little bit skeptical (perhaps after reading and reviewing Karilahoo's treatment) but he soon realised that she was genuine.

Karilahoo was right- this woman did have other issues that was contributing to ill health ,one of which was cervical cancer, which was successfully treated via hysterectomy recently. That ordeal leads me to believe that if she followed his advice and ignored her symptoms and accepted his psychological diagnosis she would have not found out about the cervical cancer and her chances of survival would be greatly reduced. This Dr has been incredibly negligent he also ordered 2 CT scans which is a major blunder. The thing about Dr Costa is he believes he is God and when he has people praising him it feeds his ego, I am not saying that he isn't a good Dr in his chosen specialty of bariatric treatment, I am suggesting that when something is outside his realm he reverts to acting like a rude, arrogant unprofessional man.

He has never apologised to this woman despite the fact that when she was in hospital getting the tumour removed by Gani the woman next to her had Karihaloo as her doctor and he had the opportunity to apologise but he completely ignored her- guess that's what happens when you ignore the words of a narcissistic self proclaimed God.

If you are visiting him for bypass or bariatric surgery then by all means go for it but if you have anything else that isn't related to weight but relates to gastrointestinal conditions then heed this warning and look elsewhere..the psychological damage is not worth it.