Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? about cortisone inj before & after surgery

I get regular cortisone injections in my lower back for a dislocated vertebrae. How long will I have to go without one before and after the LapBand surgery? I also take large doses of ibuprofen often, for the same reason, and have read on LBT about not being able to have it at all after the surgery.:tongue_smilie: Anyone else dealing with this? Advice?

Dont know for sure but you may have to do without the ibuprofen.Its a NSAID and some doctors reccomend that band patients not take them.

Hello..

I have 2 disc herniations in my back and my chiro was suggesting cortizone shots in my back..do they hurt? pleae be honest..I dont exersize as hard as I should because I dont want it to be really bad..I do alot of walking and sometimes the treadmill..I dont take ibupohen so i dont know much about it..probabaly not good to take too much of anything.

Hello..

I have 2 disc herniations in my back and my chiro was suggesting cortizone shots in my back..do they hurt? pleae be honest..I dont exersize as hard as I should because I dont want it to be really bad..I do alot of walking and sometimes the treadmill..I dont take ibupohen so i dont know much about it..probabaly not good to take too much of anything.

I didn't do the cortisone in my lower back when I was at the slipped disc stage, as my doctor recommended, because when I had one in my shoulder I passed out and was terrified!! (actually chicken may be a better word!) Once the vertebrae was actually shifted and pressing on nerves making my thighs go numb and pain to shoot down over my hips and down my legs all the way to my feet, I gave in.:biggrin:

I wish I had done it sooner. Yes, it hurts. For a few seconds. The worst part is when the cath thingy actually bumps the nerve and sends lightning bolts down your leg. But only for a couple of seconds. If you can handle that, within a week to ten days you will feel great!! Mine usually lasts 4-6 months, depending on how well I behave. You still have to stay away from activities the dr. tells you not to do, but it gives me great pain relief. I get mine done at an advanced pain center by an anethesiologist. If I have to stop getting them after I get lap band surgery, I will miss them dearly. Go for it!!

I have been dealing with back problems for almost 10 years -- in fact this injury is what caused my weight gain. My surgeon had me stop my celebrex prior to surgery and post surgery I have been okay with it although I can restart if I want to.

I have visited with my back doc and he says I can have my epidural steriod injections whenever I need them - no problem. So far I have been able to stave them off with yoga which I practice a couple of times a week -- works wonders.

Seems that one of the benefits of the weight loss is that hopefully we will eventually be able to get off these meds :biggrin: Share your concerns with your doc -- dealing with chronic pain problems is really tough and it is scary to think about not being able to take meds if you need them.

Good Luck!

I have been dealing with back problems for almost 10 years -- in fact this injury is what caused my weight gain. My surgeon had me stop my celebrex prior to surgery and post surgery I have been okay with it although I can restart if I want to.

I have visited with my back doc and he says I can have my epidural steriod injections whenever I need them - no problem. So far I have been able to stave them off with yoga which I practice a couple of times a week -- works wonders.

Seems that one of the benefits of the weight loss is that hopefully we will eventually be able to get off these meds :cool2: Share your concerns with your doc -- dealing with chronic pain problems is really tough and it is scary to think about not being able to take meds if you need them.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your response! It is very encouraging to hear that I can still get them afterwards! My neurosurgeon says I will probably have to eventually have the surgery to bolt three vertebrae together to realign the one that is shifted, but getting some weight off will make it easier to put it off longer. I hope to put it off forever! It never makes you feel good (not!) when the surgeon doing the surgery tells you that you don't want the surgery unless you absolutely must. He said the pain and aggravation from the bolts is nearly as bad as the current issue.:biggrin: 6 of one, half dozen of another......