Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chocolate rant

:tt2: (warning, this post contains ranting and whining, proceed reading it with caution, sprinkle with a dash of humor to get through it.) :thumbup:

Ok. I admit it, I'm a huge chocoholic. I got through Christmas without too much problem, but as far as chocolate goes, I HATE this time of the year. :crying:

Valentine's Day and Easter! Argh! Is it any wonder diet resolutions made back in January fail? The chocolate craving bug of hell is getting to me. Most places I shop, you see Valentine chocolate everywhere. And as soon as we get past this holiday, you know the stores will be stocking shelves with Easter candy. Cadbury eggs are the work of the devil. Aghhhh!

Yeah, I know, no one is shoving any of this down my throat, and I've got a very good hubby that knows chocolate is off limits, 'cus even a small bite will lead to wanting more. I should be able to get through Valentine's day without a bite of chocolate (my hubby doesn't care one way or the other for it, why don't men crave these things?!:crying: Life is unfair!) . . . we are going on a date to dinner and a movie, but chocolate is not going to be a part of that date.

Easter is more difficult. I do make my son an Easter basket. In the past, I have tried more healthy treats & small toys (he doesn't need all that sugar either) but usually his basket contains at least a chocolate bunny. And those evil Cadbury eggs . . . they just follow me around, resistance is futile. :lol:

Anyone share similar feelings, and how do you tame your chocolate craving beast? Other than duct taping my mouth shut (I bet no one has ever had a lap-band stuck with chocolate! :lol:), I really have a hard time getting through this tempting time of the year. Yes I do have some will power. It does whimper when confronted with chocolate however.

help! :)

I too love chocolate. I was watching a show yesterday with my hubby and that commercial for Hershey's chocolate came on where the whole scene is liquid chocolate and the people are chocolate, etc. I told him, "That doesn't help me one bit!"

I love chocolate. I ate way too much pre-band. Lots of sweet milk chocolate, Hershey's Kisses, Symphony bars, etc. But I have had to change that. I have limited my portions hugely, and what I do eat is dark chocolate. I actually eat some chocolate pretty much every day. I limit myself to a couple of small pieces and make sure it's 60% cacao or greater. I've got some amazing 70% Lindt chocolate in my cupboard right now. I've read up on dark chocolate and how to make sure you're getting one that is actually beneficial to your health and that one fits the bill pretty well.

My personality is such that if I completely deprive myself of something it will backfire and I'll only crave it all the more. I'm amazed that I'm able to eat chocolate in small and reasonable amounts. This doesn't mean that I don't think about chocolate a whole lot more than I allow myself to eat it, but it's a big step for me.

I also agree that this is a rough time of year for those plagued by chocolate lust! I don't crave the Cadbury eggs, but the Cadbury Mini-eggs are hard to resist. I'll have to make sure they don't come into the house.

Edited by Shinyhappymommy

I too love chocolate. I was watching a show yesterday with my hubby and that commercial for Hershey's chocolate came on where the whole scene is liquid chocolate and the people are chocolate, etc. I told him, "That doesn't help me one bit!"

LOL! :lol: I can feel that pain, TV is the worst with all those commercials!

I love chocolate. I ate way too much pre-band. Lots of sweet milk chocolate, Hershey's Kisses, Symphony bars, etc. But I have had to change that. I have limited my portions hugely, and what I do eat is dark chocolate. I actually eat some chocolate pretty much every day. I limit myself to a couple of small pieces and make sure it's 60% cacao or greater. I've got some amazing 70% Lindt chocolate in my cupboard right now. I've read up on dark chocolate and how to make sure you're getting one that is actually beneficial to your health and that one fits the bill pretty well.

My personality is such that if I completely deprive myself of something it will backfire and I'll only crave it all the more. I'm amazed that I'm able to eat chocolate in small and reasonable amounts. This doesn't mean that I don't think about chocolate a whole lot more than I allow myself to eat it, but it's a big step for me.

This is some good advice SHM, thanks! I'll have to look into the Lindt chocolate, I do love dark chocolate. And it works for me if it's actually beneficial for my health! I also agree on small amounts of food we crave - everything in moderation. You are right, it can backfire. I have been bad with chocolate though, I gotta work on that. :tt2: Small amounts just make me want more, lol.

And now something funny SHM :thumbup: (or maybe cruel, lol) as I was reading your post, next to it on the right side of the forum, there was an add for some kind of Valentine's day chocolate. OUCH! :crying: What's that add doing in weight loss forums? Evil I say! :)

Thanks be to whatever powers or deity that I do not like chocolate....I would have been 2000000000 pounds if I had THAT vice as well!

Resistance is futile...small indulgence but make sure you work the calories off BEFORE you eat it...extra time on the tm or something may make the craving go away!!!

There is a book about the making of chocolate which might completely turn you off of it....it is about the conditions of harvesting the Beans, and is really disturbing. so if you want a sobering read that might completely spoil your addiction, you could read it.

Otherwise, how about just hibernating:w00t:? There is no avoiding it!!!

Oh Rhaps...even when you're ranting you're such a cutie! I just have an overall sweetooth. I don't even pretend like it's not there and I really just don't even fight it. I DO however, keep it in check by trying to "trick" myself into thinking I'm satiating the craving. For instance, I drink Crystal Light around dessert time because it's so sweet and usally washes away any other motives I may get. I've also found some sugar-free or low sugar stuff that I actually like...such as Cool Whip. If I just totally succumb to it, I don't fool myself. I just HAVE IT!! And when I do, I have pretty small portions....like a Hershey's minature (or two) or I use a toddler size bowl and baby spoon for a bowl of ice cream. I've just made adjustments. Give yourself a break, sweet sister. Don't deny yourself...especially on your lovely Valentine's date with your hubby. Enjoy the "sweet" things in life....just in smaller portions!!:thumbdown:

I would love to put this whole thread on IGNORE. Every time it pops up with a new post, I get a huge chocolate craving because of the title. Yeah, I have it BAD!! On top of that, I just noticed chocolate ads attached to this thread..aaargh - LOL!!!

I am not a huge chocoholic but I do have my bad days.

When I really need it, I give in with a small taste of sugar free version of chocolate so that it doesn't affect my blood sugar and throw me into a ravenous all-out chocolate frenzy. Or I have 1/2 a chocolate flavored South Beach Cereal bar, or a fudgesicle. I have my nightly chocolate flavored Viactive chew so I am getting in my Calcium and Vitamin D while getting a little chocolate treat.

Thanks all for the great ideas and tips, I really appreciate it! I'm truly sorry if this caused any craving in anyone. :frown:

Taps, you're really lucky that you do not have this craving! Count that as a big blessing sweetie :smile:

Amy - you always make me smile! :frown: This thread was just meant to be light-hearted and fun, I really didn't want to do a major rant. I am gonna treat myself to a small portion of some kind of chocolate this Valentine's Day! (For Easter - one Cadbury Cream Egg is gonna die!) lol.

I do agree with Kiz though . . . advertisements for food of any kind in these forums I think is just inappropriate, imho. :cursing: I understand the need to make money and keep the forums going, but hopefully the powers that be (yes that's you Alex, Mr. LapBandTalk!) would have a little more kindness towards those of us dealing with food issues. That's how we all got here!

I just got back from the grocery store, and they were giving out free samples of Reese's Valentine Hearts. Double whammy....choc and Peanut Butter. I ran past the display and didn't take one...score one for me.

Rhapsody, I notice the choc ads are gone, maybe someone,took pity on us choco-olics!!

chocolate and Peanut Butter . . . major ouch, both double whammys for me as well! Cheers to you for passing them by! :cursing:

Unfortunately, I saw a chocolate advertisement as I was reading your post Kiz. Hopefully after Valentine's Day is gone, we will be free of them . . . they seem to be all Valentine's Day adds. If any Easter candy adds show up, I'm first gonna protest, then boycott the forums until Easter is over! :frown: