Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slimband formerly TLBC Clinic Toronto On

As requested starting a new thread... feel free to post here the good the great, the not so great, problems, complications compliments etc.

Again this thread is primarily for Slimband patients so if you are reading and not a Slimband clinic patient please do not get upset when we talk about our surgeon and clinic as our best choice and the best choice we see possible.

Heather

In order to keep getting notification for this link, I am joining in. I have no particular concerns but am interested in others. It is a great way to learn from reading other postings. One thing I noticed in other posts is how some bandsters (not many) loose sight of changing ones eating habits. I read into some posts the anxiety of giving up pop, Pasta, pizza, etc. Not getting a fill before vacation (good idea). I am going on a cruise in Feb. and have learned a lot from posts on what to do or not do. I am also relieved for the way SB is now setting up various aftercare topics for us. I will be the first to join all.

Edited by Doddie63
typo

In order to keep getting notification for this link, I am joining in. I have no particular concerns but am interested in others. It is a great way to learn from reading other postings. One thing I noticed in other posts is how some bandsters (not many) loose sight of changing ones eating habits. I read into some posts the anxiety of giving up pop, Pasta, pizza, etc. Not getting a fill before vacation (good idea). I am going on a cruise in Feb. and have learned a lot from posts on what to do or not do. I am also relieved for the way SB is now setting up various aftercare topics for us. I will be the first to join all.

Doddie,

I agree it is all about the eating. For years I maintained a consistent pattern post reaching goal weight. I ate out, I drank, I ate chocolate all in moderation. In the last several months I just said screw it... it was my way of dealing with my father dying I just didn't care about health or weight. I ate more chocolate than a small third world nation... I ate a lot of alfredo and drank more than the usual. And over all just did not care about anything.... so I have gained a few pounds but it is amazing how easy it is to fall into the habits that got me to 296 lbs (although eating much less) how easy it is to break 6+ years of conditioning my body and my mind about eating consistently and moving my body... old habits never die they are lurking right they to take you over.

Fortunately I didn't gain that much and my clothes still fit so my goals are to get back into my better habits and consistent again. Take off the few lbs I gained... and ironically to honor my dad who watched what he ate till the end and who walked 5 kms a day even after a terminal cancer diagnosis right up until the last months of his life he was lifting weights, walking and do his exercise programs that he enjoyed. So if a man with nothing to live for, and every reason to indulge and just let it all go can be the healthiest terminal patient on his Drs role call, just because it worked for him so can I!

Heather

I had my surgery on the 23rd of Jan 2009 at the clinic. I am from Ottawa . The procedure went well and I am feelin fine, still a little sore, although I have a briuse under my port area...is this normal ? Will those bandages come off by the selves in the nest 7 to 10 days or do I hanve to pull them off myself in 7 days ?

I'am still on Clear liquids...can't wait to start the full fliud phase..( can i have Protein shakes on the clear liquid phase ?)...Finding it very hard to drink any liquids at all..espicially clear broth..yuck !

Also, one more question..what does "sliming " and "Pbing" mean ? I've seen it on other posts , not sure what it means.

Thanks in advance

Also, forgot to mention I am going on vacation to Mexico in March...I am scheduled for my first fill on Feb 23..is this a bad idea

Sliming: When the pouch is packed and you bringup thick slimy clear Fluid, gobs of it.

PBing: Productive burp but call it what it really is - vomiting. Some people believe PBing is bringing up the extra food that won't fit into the pouch and vomiting is when you empty the complete pouch and stomach. To me, it is vomiting.

I am sure your clinic can tell you about your sutures and bandages, but mine told me the bandages will fall off on their own. To keep the wounds clean and to rebandage if the stictches are still there. If you spot any redness around the wound, contact the clinic. It could be infection or a stitch that hasn't disolved. I am not a nurse or medical person, just repeating what my clinic told me. So follow the golden rule and any medical questions should be referred to your clinic/surgeon. Hope you have a great trip.

I had my surgery on the 23rd of Jan 2009 at the clinic. I am from Ottawa . The procedure went well and I am feelin fine, still a little sore, although I have a briuse under my port area...is this normal ? Will those bandages come off by the selves in the nest 7 to 10 days or do I hanve to pull them off myself in 7 days ?

I'am still on clear liquids...can't wait to start the full fliud phase..( can i have Protein shakes on the clear liquid phase ?)...Finding it very hard to drink any liquids at all..espicially clear broth..yuck !

Also, one more question..what does "sliming " and "Pbing" mean ? I've seen it on other posts , not sure what it means.

Thanks in advance

Also, forgot to mention I am going on vacation to Mexico in March...I am scheduled for my first fill on Feb 23..is this a bad idea

I might hold off on the fill just in case you do not want to end up on vacation too tight to enjoy anything... if you are local to your clinic and can get back there with relative easy then it isn't so bad you can get a defill if you need it. Most people aren't to sensitive to a fill but some people are and you never know which you will be until you get one.

Keep drinking and moving as much as you possibly can and take it easy! And enjoy your vacation!

Heather

I looked up today and it has been a whole week since I munched on Cookies and candy etc it is an interesting time....

I have to say I do miss it sniff sniff but I will survive!

Ok so now we have a Slimband fill and defill booking line at TLBC/Slimband? I called this morning to get an appointment for today or Monday morning for a fill and now you get transfered to a voicemail that I have to leave a message and someone will call me back to book an appointment? This place is just getting worse and worse! I find it so cold and unfriendly when I go there, I haven't heard anything good about their new "Supercharge programs" or whatever they are called. And the fact that I can't simply call and book an appt for a fill or defill is just another factor that is making things frustrating and disppointing!

I need to really find Jill and get some positive reinforment! I feeling very off track right now!

Ok so now we have a Slimband fill and defill booking line at TLBC/Slimband? I called this morning to get an appointment for today or Monday morning for a fill and now you get transfered to a voicemail that I have to leave a message and someone will call me back to book an appointment? This place is just getting worse and worse! I find it so cold and unfriendly when I go there, I haven't heard anything good about their new "Supercharge programs" or whatever they are called. And the fact that I can't simply call and book an appt for a fill or defill is just another factor that is making things frustrating and disppointing!

I need to really find Jill and get some positive reinforment! I feeling very off track right now!

I am not sure what the problem is it is a fill hotline so that you don't get lost in a voicemail if someone is on vacation... that was what happened to me the last time I called for a fill appt... I think it is a great step forward to have a dedicated line that is constantly checked over an employees voicemail which will only get checked when the employee is free now it is part of someone job just to check this hotline book you and call you back that is fantastic.

Hanbe I know you aren't happy and I am not sure if that is just with the clinic or your success, but have you tried talking to any of the other staff to see if they can become your new Jill. I am on myslimband and Jodi et all seem pretty nice and responsive to questions and quite willing to help people. Have you talked to them? They might be able to help you.

Heather

I was banded on Jan 23rd 2009...It has not yet been a week and the last 2 days I have been starving !! Protein Shakes do nothing for me...My recovery has been very good I feel no real discomfort. I was told that I have to stay on mushies for a month..are you kidding me... I ate something that was not in mushy form today ( a couple bites of a sandwich..) had no procblem keeping it down, as a matter of fact I wanted more ! My band obviously has not provided me with any restriction ...hopefully when I get my first fill Feb 23 , I will feel some sort of resriction. For now why am I sooo hungry all the time ? Is this normal ?

I am not sure what the problem is it is a fill hotline so that you don't get lost in a voicemail if someone is on vacation... that was what happened to me the last time I called for a fill appt... I think it is a great step forward to have a dedicated line that is constantly checked over an employees voicemail which will only get checked when the employee is free now it is part of someone job just to check this hotline book you and call you back that is fantastic.

Hanbe I know you aren't happy and I am not sure if that is just with the clinic or your success, but have you tried talking to any of the other staff to see if they can become your new Jill. I am on myslimband and Jodi et all seem pretty nice and responsive to questions and quite willing to help people. Have you talked to them? They might be able to help you.

Heather

Heather my problem is I have a hectic schedule and before I have always been able to call and the receptionist booked my fill appt while I was on the line. I left a message for the fill booking line and I was in a meeting with the gentleman called me back and therefore left a message telling me that I couldnt get a fill for Friday (today) and to call back and leave another message with a better time and date available. I did and they called back and left a message with the time that was closest to what I requested and I had to call back and confirm. So it took me 3 calls and 5 messages between myself and this hotline VM service to book me a fill! Thats very bad business. And when I paid $16K I expected to be treated as a respected client.

Yes I have met with Jodi, a couple times and did find her helpful but I think since she hasn't been banded that she doesn't fully understand what I'm going through and that was another connection I had with Jill. I also don't like the fact that I have met with Jodi a couple times and when I'm sitting in the waiting room she will walk by and not even raise her head to say hello. That shows me that we have no connection and that she doesnt care enough to even say hi.

I have never felt a connection with Kathy, I had her for my consultant and I didn't find her to be helpful. The only person that I feel support from is Nancy and that is why I have continued to have my fills at TLBC well that and the fact that I have paided for my post op care.

So sorry Heather I know you are trying very hard to convert me to be a TLBC/Slimband supporter but I feel they are just changing everyday into a less productive and supportive atmosphere. At the end of the day I miss the bootcamps, the friendliness of the clinic, and most of all Jill and her support.

Have a great day everyone! The GTA is suppose to be getting hit with some snow and freezing rain this afternoon so please be careful getting home and enjoy your weekend! I'm going snow tubing with my niece and nephew tomorrow! Hope I don't break my behind!!! haha!

Hanbe. I feel your frustration and I wish I could help you. All I can say to you is that Jill now has her own mountains to climb. Susieq is correct, Jodi is very nice, so it might be a good idea to give her another try. Getting a fill is usually not urgent. Could you leave a message saying "I am available Tuesday at 10:00 or Friday at 3:00, etc. Please get back to me confirming the appointment day and time. If you recorded your available times, you might be able to avoid the constant go around. Would that help? But I sense something in your urgency and that is the need for support. I would suggest making an appointment with Dr. Yau, telling him your feelings of lack of support and maybe he can refer you to the clinics psychologist or hook you up with a buddy that has access to all staff. I have a main contact and have had no problems since. I am not trying to convert you to "liking" TLBC, but trying to help you. Yours in support Doddie

Edited by Doddie63
poorly worded

I was banded on Jan 23rd 2009...It has not yet been a week and the last 2 days I have been starving !! Protein shakes do nothing for me...My recovery has been very good I feel no real discomfort. I was told that I have to stay on mushies for a month..are you kidding me... I ate something that was not in mushy form today ( a couple bites of a sandwich..) had no procblem keeping it down, as a matter of fact I wanted more ! My band obviously has not provided me with any restriction ...hopefully when I get my first fill Feb 23 , I will feel some sort of resriction. For now why am I sooo hungry all the time ? Is this normal ?

Completely and totally normal... without fill you have no restriction. Keep drinking and follow the plan if you push your recovery and eating solid foods they may feel good going down but you are increasing your risk of complications because your stomach has not healed from the surgery.

Keep drinking I know it isn't filling for some and keep trying and remember what you are working towards I know that may not be helpful but this is one of the hardest stages.

Good luck

Heather

I found drinking warm broth or any type of warm drink took the hunger pangs away. So I drank continually very slowly. Also found if I got out of the house and went walking or something to keep my mind away from food helped.

You can do it.