Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone hungry yet?

Hello everyone. I hope all the early December bandsters are feeling great. I am 5 days post op and today I went back to work. I have a desk job so working hard is not an option:tongue2:. I have some discomfort in the port area but other than the occasional trapped gas I feel good. Per doctors orders I started puree yesterday and all went well without any problems. Today has been a little different though. I am eating way less than I ever did before and get filled up quickly. I have been watching my Protein and making sure I am getting at least 64 oz of Fluid daily. I am getting worried about my hunger. I get hungry alot sooner than 3 hours and in the back of my mind I know fat land is there and dont want to ever go back. Is anyone else feeling this yet? I dont want to call the doctor for every little thing and I have an appointment next week but hopefully others have experienced this and can shed some light on this. I don't want to worry about this all day long but I can't get it out of my mind. I am actually afraid of eating too much now and I don't want to start making myself crazy. I know that an adjustment is at least four weeks out and don't want to gain what I have already lost....Anyone?

Hi Mr Mike,

I too have been getting hungry some. I'm post-op day 6. My eating plan says I should do full liquids one to two weeks and then start soft foods one to two weeks after surgery so it kinda leaves it up to me when to start on the next phase. My nutritionist did tell me that in the beginning, since the pouch will be so small that I could do 3 meals with 1 to 2 Snacks, (basically 5 small meals a day). When I do go back to work next week I work 6am-3pm and will never make it til dinner if I don't have an afternoon snack (my "lunch" is at 9:45am). She did stress that I have to make sure I get my Water and liquids in esp if I eat more frequently since we have to wait before and after eating to drink. Hope this helps some

Hi Mike and Teresa,

Pre-Op day 4 here. Today is my first day with full liquids. I can have anything that can be sucked through a straw and I am in this phase until the 20th by my docs orders. Last night was the first time I have experienced any hunger feels since surgery and even then I have felt like I have had an upset stomach a lot of the time. I am suppose to get a minimum of 48 oz of water/liquid a day and I have found that to be rather easy. What's been really interesting to me is the amount of noises my stomach has been making. LOL I am back to work today but like you Mike, I have a desk job so working to hard isn't really any option for me.

Hi Mike and Teresa,

What's been really interesting to me is the amount of noises my stomach has been making.

Ain't that the truth. It's making all kinds of crazy sounds.

The only reason I took 2 weeks off is I have been saving my vacation time for this and if I don't use it, I lose it...so I was able to use it all in conjunction with this so they had to give me the time off. I am glad that I was able to have the extra few days.

That's great that you have the extra time to recover. Unfortunately we have a big push at work on a project that we have to have for our clients by Christmas. But that's ok too because I didn't have that much PTO left to use.

How about any bowl movements? I know it's not the most pleasant thing to talk about but I have had like pure liquid and a couple of times pretty close to an immediate need to be in the bathroom. I wonder if it's something I drank. Only thing I have had so far is Water, juice, chicken broth, beef broth, and today an Atkins shake.

I was starting to worry because I hadn't had one but I finally did on Sun afternoon. I know that some pain meds can cause Constipation (I learned this the hard way from a previous surgery that entailed a visit to the ER to get cleaned out ~ NOT FUN). Anyway, I've read where some get diarrhea but some have the opposite problem.

...anything that can be sucked through a straw

Interesting Pete - the wife and I were strictly forbidden from drinking from a straw until at least the end of the 4th or 5th week.

The reasoning was to keep us from sucking too much down at once I guess...

Based on what I am reading on this forum ,I find it really interesting though how each program varies from doctor to doctor, but hey, if it works, run with it!

Interesting Pete - the wife and I were strictly forbidden from drinking from a straw until at least the end of the 4th or 5th week.

Oh no what I ment was that the doc said the consistance of what could be sucked through a straw. He said we really should never use straws because it is easy to suck in a lot of air giving you a false sense of being full. So that really was what I was meaning as liquidy enough that it could be sucked through a straw. Not that I would actually be using a straw. :lol:

My pleasure!

I tell you what I feel for those of you that are having the hungry feelings. I really haven't felt that hungry at all except maybe two or three times period. I will hear my stomach talking to me but still feel no hunger at all. Go figure.

I can honestly say that I haven't been physically hungry - AT ALL. My "hunger" comes mostly from the old routine of eating at points X, Y and Z throughout the day. I feel almost guilty drinking as much as I do right now - it's almost like going on an all day eating binge! But, that's what the doc told me to do , so, I'm doing it!

I actually know what you mean. I feel like I am consuming to much but from what they have been saying this is what I am suppose to do right now. I guess when the mushies and then solids come into play is when the real feeling of being full will come back and the restricted food control will become more controlled.

Same here. I was feeling like I was eating too much but when I step back and really look at it, I am eating a whole lot less. My 9 year old daughter eats more than I do now. I know I am eating healthier than before and puree isnt as bad as I thought it would be. I even had a 1/2 slice of pizza puree and was extremely surprised. I can tell you I didnt finish it but it took away a big craving that I had. I have my companies Christmas party next week and have asked the restaurant if they could puree the food for me and without blinking, the chef told me he understood and would be happy to accomodate me. That made me feel good because I was prepared to bring my own food and also to know that he was willing to work with me.

I am sure we are all going to experience obstacles when eating out but hopefully others will understand that this is real and many people are going through it.

I can happily say that I am not one who usually attends the company social events, so, I have no worries there.

I don't tend to have lunch with anyone here at the office either. There are the occasional manager-served appreciation lunches where all the managers serve to all the employees a catered meal (Thanksgiving, Christmas), but never a time that I would be eating in front of someone openly.

Also thankfully I have a closed office - I can just pull the door and never get questioned.

What's going to look funny is me taking my 4oz cup of broth to the microwave, zapping it for a few seconds and sipping it down :-) Guess i'll wait until around 2:00 so all the lunches are done.

I just really don't care to share too much of my personal life with people at work, ya know?

I do know what you mean Mike about the puree isn't as bad as I had thought it would be. I've had clam chowder, chili, and chicken noodle Soup that has all ben pureed to hell and gone. LOL - All of it has gone down smoothly and I feel more mental satisfaction being able to "real" foods.

I am making sure to portion everything out closely and am keeping track of what it is I am eating. I want to make sure I am not blowing my diet.