Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Available Lap Band Buddy / Mentor 1 Year Post-Op

I am a 32 year female from Michigan who is 1 year post-op. I had my surgery in Mexico by Dr. Ariel Ortiz.

Pre-Surgery I was 235, 5'3.5". I am currently weighing in at 163. I am 23 pounds from goal.

I am a mother of 2 small children, ages 3 and 5. I work part time in retail for some adult conversation.

I believe there are 3 components to successful band surgery:

1) A good surgeon (and aftercare surgeon, if needed). You need a surgeon who you have good rapport with. Someone who encourages you in the way YOU need. A doctor who is realistic with you. A doctor who puts you on a fill schedule that is conducive to YOUR weight loss goals.

2) A Good support system. You MUST have people to cheer you on in your journey. You have to have people who 'keep it real' and will 'call you on it' if they see you not putting effort into your journey.

3) The right attitude. You MUST go into band surgery well researched, ready to make the adjustments necessary, and ready for accomplishments as well as disappointments. You will NOT lose your weight in a miraculous nature. It WILL be slower than you life sometime. But you must keep the mindset that this is not a diet, but a complete change in lifestyle.

Wow! You were banded almost exactlly a year before me and your results are amazing!! Wasn't Dr. Ortiz great? Loved him and the OCC. I'm not going to go back for my aftercare as I have found someone locally who accepts patients banded in Mexico. I'm still on the full liquid diet (and tiring of it quickly!) but feel so hopeful for the future.

Your advice is right on. I totally agree. I hope to have such wonderful results in a year. You're an inspiration!!

My aftercare is also provided by someone local. I would not have done my surgery in MX if I could not have found someone local to do my fills and follow-up. My aftercare doc actually was proctored by Ortiz, and even flew down to OCC and performed surgery with Ortiz! I knew I was in great hands!

Katy,

Are you available to mentor? I am DESPERATE for help! You and I sound very similar. I started off at about 225 at 5'2 and went to Dr. Ortiz. I had a 4 cc band and was filled to 2.4cc. I haven't lost anything in over a year because of the band. I went down to about 204 and had to get a complete unfill. I'm now back up to 216 and this is it for me. I have finally hit bottom mentally. I am so depressed that I have put such a burden on my family to pay for this surgery and have been unsuccessful. Not to mention to humiliation of even surgery can't help me. I would love to hear what eating/excercise is like over a days time for you. Thanks!

Hi. I'm Kammy and was banded 10/2/08. I am feeling discouraged and looking to connect with someone who may be able to offer some tips/advise/encouragement. I'm feeling a little stuck...no wt loss since surgery. I've had one fill in Nov and another scheduled for Monday. Prior to surgey I lost 32lbs in preperation. I received a lot of attention, all positive, but scary to me none the less. I'm worried I may be sabotaging out of fear of change, letting go, being different. Anyway, I'd love to hear back if you have time. Thanks!

I need a mentor, and I need one bad. I had surgery 10 1/2 months ago, and I originally lost 44 lbs, but have gained 15.5 of them back. I have no restriction, can eat like a pig, and was doing it all throughout the holidays. I am going back on track. Lost 2 lbs yesterday, so am at 213.5. It makes me sick to think I was sooo close to weighing in the 100's instead of the 200's and I let it go...

I am going to check to see if my new insurance will cover fills, and go get one asap.

I found this site to be so helpful in the beginning..and have not been back since September...What the heck is wrong with me??? Why would I ignore what was helping so much???

I was going to start completely over yesterday, starting over with liquid diet, and guess what?? Didn't do it... did manage to watch what I was eating (threw away ALL the holiday food, much to my grown son's annoyance!!).

Has anyone ever just started over? Or would it be better to just go on from here..

I am going to Florida the 1st week of February, and I want so badly to weigh 199 or lower...probably not the most realistic goal, need to lose 13.5 lbs in 5 weeks....

I don't want this all to be for nothing...what the heck is wrong with me that I would allow myself to GAIN weight with a BAND, for pete's sake... what an idiot...:thumbup:

Hi. I am pretty new to this, banded on 10/2/08. I was happy to receive your note but have to say, it sounds like you are being pretty hard on yurself. SInce you are here, in a Lap band site, I will assume a few things; number 1, you have probably struggled with your wieght for a long time and number 2, you have probably had little success in gaining some control over it or attaining a healthy weight. Both of these thing are true of me. You mention that you often move away from or stay away from things that work or help (this site for one). Again, also true of me. I have found the solution for this is for me to get rigorously honest with myself about why it is I am sabotagging myself. I have to really acknowledge what it is I am so afraid of changing, letting go of. Even once I figure it out I dont automaticlly let it go. SOmetimes I hold onto it like a stubborn child with her heels dug in deep. The truth is I wont chnage until Im good an ready. I've heard people say thier only regret about the band is not having done it sooner and I get that but the truth is I wasnt ready any sooner than when I did it. Period. I have lost 36 pounds since starting this journey and as people notice I freak out. It makes me nervous so I gain a few pounds back (story of my life ). Then I get frustrated with myself and sit with it and figure out why tha physical change and acknowledgement of the change freaks me out. I sit with it, talk about it here and with those who understand, I write about it until I'm ok with it and able to move forward again. I guess my whole point is that this will not be a straight path. Thier are bumps along the way. Try and be softer on yourself and it will be clear again why you began this journey in the 1st place. You can do it! And when I hit a bump in my path I will need to reminded of the same. Hang in there! Stay in touch! ---- Kammy

I need your support as well - ALL OF YOU. I've been banded 19 mos - going on 20 - and am the same weight now as the day I had surgery. I, too, am at rock bottom in the mental department. I cannot take anymore of the depression or frustration. I know exactly what I need to do, and just the same, what I need to quit doing, but why am I not DOING it? I don't get it - I don't understand. I am a very intelligent person, I have common sense -- I have NO drive, no willpower to speak of. I am soooo upset with myself. Please HELP - any advice is appreciated. thanks -- Stephanie

thanks Kammy- you made sense to me!! You are right, there will be bumps in the road (sometimes deep craters!!!) but I plan to just keep moving forward, and make this band work for me.

I am going to the fitness center tomorrow to begin my exercise program again.. I felt so much better when I was exercising, but I do not like to do it...too bad for me, because I am GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY!!! lol

I am back in fighting form, we can do this!!!

Hi. When I originally reached out with my post I was feeling very much the way you describe. Banded and still no change in my wt...very frustrating! I had to vent it out and put it out thier so I could get some help. I'm glad to see you do the same! You can do this...just keep it simple and do each step one day at a time. It may sound trite or simplistic but it works! One step, one moment, one day at a time.! Hang in there!

I am so appreciative about everyone's honest truths here. I got banded on Jan 23rd, of 2008. Its going to be a year soon enough. I too thought this was it. I would actually gain some control over my food addiction and my weight. In all honesty I have not done so. I have lost about 43 lbs and have gained about 3 lbs back of it. I am able to eat almost normal again. I am literally afraid to go back to my doctor's office because of his nurse. SHe practices hard love and Im not into that. I am also ashamed of what I have done to my efforts. Everyday I say this is the day I will get back on track and for some unknown reason I don't do it. Can I hate myself this much that I will not take control and ask for help? SO here I am asking for help, just reading and being able to relate to your messages does help me, for this I am grateful. I dont feel so alone.

Edited by Dazzle