Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band got tighter.. why?

My band has tightened up the past few days. How can a band get tighter? My husband says it is impossible and that it must be my stomach. What do you think?

I am much tighter. I ate some melted cheece a few nights ago and pb'd for an hour... do you think I am still swollen? It has been four days.

thanks...

Well, technically your husband is right, your band can't get tighter on it's own, it's usually your stomach swelling, but for us it's easier to say "my band is so tight today!"

If you PB'd a few days ago, and you've been eating regular food ever since, you could have some extra swelling going on. Usually after a bad PB episode, you should stick to liquids for a day or so, and ease back into solids. This is true of anything that happens that would irritate your stomach, like throwing up (not just a PB, but really throwing up), etc. Also, Water retention can make you tighter, so if you are about to hit that time of the month, or maybe you drank a bit over the holiday weekend, that could cause you to retain Water as well. Even the weather or stress seem to do this.

Hope you feel better.

The band actually DOES become tighter in some cases. Why?? Who knows.. There are theories of dehydration, menstrual issues, body chemistry, altitude, either way, it happens. I had mine get tighter one night while I was sleeping, to the point of sliming in my sleep. Often, weeks AFTER a fill suddenly restriction 'kicks in' out of the blue. I have actually FELT mine tightening, almost like a wind-up toy with a rubber band, twisting and twisting, making noises. Don't ask me why.. it's a mystery, even to the docs.

Actually, your band CAN get tighter, depending on the band. If you have the AMI band, then yes, it does tend to self-fill.

However, you more likely have the Inamed lapband, which does NOT self-fill. So even though your PB was four days ago, it IS still possible that you are swollen from that.

Plus, if anything else is going on, that could compound it - stress, Water retention, menstrual cycle...

Do liquids only for a day or two - that should fix you up if it's residual swelling from a PB...

Alice, the level of restriction we feel is a function of both the physical tightness of the band--which changes only a very little, if at all, between fills--and the physiological state of your stomach. Stomach tissue is soft, pliable, retains Fluid and so forth, and is all in all much less predictable than the state of the band itself.

So yes, your "band" can get "tighter" but what's really going on is that something is causing your stomach tissue to swell or thicken. It's probably Water retention related to the weather, your period, stress, who knows? But we can all attest that indeed, restriction levels can vary over time.

You said it's been four days--four days since what? If it was the melted cheese episode then you may have some residual swelling. Take it easy and let your stomach rest! The ladies above know what they're talking about.