Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing for the surgery

I'm curious about a few things....

The pre-op diet is two weeks? How about the diet afterwards? How long is that.... and how long is it about until you actually eat solid foods? (Steak, chicken, etc) What do you eat during pre-op?

How long does the pain last from the surgery? I had my gall bladder removed... is it similar to that pain?

What does a psych evaluation consist of? Is it just a bunch of questions they ask? What kind? How long is the evaluation usually last?

Did you vomit any? Do you feel like vomiting?

I'm sure I will think of more questions....... just help me out. I'm just curious is all. :grouphug:

I'm curious about a few things....

The pre-op diet is two weeks? How about the diet afterwards? How long is that.... and how long is it about until you actually eat solid foods? (Steak, chicken, etc) What do you eat during pre-op? All questions that would be specific to your doctors orders. Each doc is different , not ALL pre op diets are 2 weeks. Each doc does things a little different so its best to ask your doc, If your still looking for a doc be sure and ask these very things.

How long does the pain last from the surgery? I had my gall bladder removed... is it similar to that pain? I had my gallbladder out too and I personally think the surgeries were VERY similar .

What does a psych evaluation consist of? Is it just a bunch of questions they ask? What kind? How long is the evaluation usually last? My psych evale honestly was a joke, it was the same questions asked over and over and the dude i had liked to talk more than he liked to listen to me , it lasted 30 mitnues tops.But each is different .

Did you vomit any? Do you feel like vomiting? NO NO NO . you want to avoid vomiting at ALL COSTS !!! I did get nasuses a little on day 3 but that's cause the liquid vicoidn they give you tastes like a$$ ! But i had a good supply of meds to prevent vomiting on hand, something i HIGHLY recommend . VOMITING IS EVIL POST OP

I'm sure I will think of more questions....... just help me out. I'm just curious is all. :grouphug:

No problem w/ the questions ask away that is what we are here for !

Mindy

The pre-op diet is two weeks? How about the diet afterwards? How long is that.... and how long is it about until you actually eat solid foods? (Steak, chicken, etc) What do you eat during pre-op?

- The Pre Op Diet depends on your doctor. However how long the pre op diet goes for can also be decided by your BMI. The pre op diet is generally to shrink your liver and to get rid of any fat around the liver so the surgery is easily performed but also to loose as much excess fat around the stomach as possible.

- The Post Op Diet is usually 6 weeks max. The first couple of weeks are liquids only as your stomach will be very swollen. The weeks following that are a mushie period (i.e soups) which can last for 2-3 weeks as advised by your doctor. You will probably slowly ease on solid foods around the 5-6 week mark. Although depending on restriction (how pumped up the band is) eating things like steak/chicken may be difficult.

How long does the pain last from the surgery? I had my gall bladder removed... is it similar to that pain?

- Some people have very minimal pain which can last a week, but others take a couple of weeks to feel 100%.

Me personally I wasn't feeling better for 2 weeks as I had a hernia repaired in surgery.

I couldn't tell you about the same feeling as gall bladder as I personally havent had it removed.

What does a psych evaluation consist of? Is it just a bunch of questions they ask? What kind? How long is the evaluation usually last?

- Phych Eval - mine lasted for about an hour, they ask you all kinds of questions. Most of them I cant remember now, but they are all asked for a reason so they can find out more about you and the reasons behind your weight etc etc.

Did you vomit any? Do you feel like vomiting?

I made the mistake of eating & drinking two close to bed time once.

This can cause food/drink not to go down properly...hence throwing it back up when you go to bed. So just be carefull of that.

Also taking medication to close to bed time caused me to be sick as it had the same effect as above.

Edited by Ange05

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate you both.

Where are you from? I see you are in Texas. I live in Austin....

I start back to my old job on Nov 3rd. I'm thinking my insurance coverage starts the day that I start back.

I want to have an appointment ready for the doctor the next day if possible. I am very anxious...... Did you have to go to the primary doctor first? I will have Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield. Or, can I just contact one of the weight loss clinics and have an appointment set up? How does all that work? I don't want to go to an orientation if I don't have to.

What i'm really worried about is I have two insurances. My full-time job does not cover the lap band surgery. Even if it is medically necessary. My part-time insurance is what will cover it.... but, if I ever decide to leave my part-time job..... and lose that insurance. Will my full-time job insurance cover the fills, x-rays, and any complications that I have?

There has to be at least one person on here that has had the same situation.

So, from pre-op to post-op ... how long was it before you got to eat 'normal' food. no mushies or any of that stuff. I'm really worried about after I have the surgery how tough it is going to be not to eat. I've been reading on here that some people on here don't start feeling the band is working until the 3rd or 4th fill? What is the time-frame to get to that 3rd or 4th fill? :grouphug:

I live in Austin as well..

I start back to my old job on Nov 3rd. I'm thinking my insurance coverage starts the day that I start back. I would not be so sure about that. I would check , Your insurance could start in 30,60 90 days . So I would double check on that to be sure .

I want to have an appointment ready for the doctor the next day if possible. I am very anxious...... Did you have to go to the primary doctor first? I will have Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield. Or, can I just contact one of the weight loss clinics and have an appointment set up? How does all that work? I don't want to go to an orientation if I don't have to.

I would make sure of when your insurnace starts. You do not want to have some pre existing condition situation come up because you made an appt too soon . Although w/ most group plans they do not have that BUT you never know . Again I would make sure. I was self pay So i did not have to go to a Primary doc first. Most WLS clinics will make you go to a seminar first its how they get their info out at one time .

What i'm really worried about is I have two insurances. My full-time job does not cover the lap band surgery. Even if it is medically necessary. My part-time insurance is what will cover it.... but, if I ever decide to leave my part-time job..... and lose that insurance. Will my full-time job insurance cover the fills, x-rays, and any complications that I have?

I really doubt your other insurnace will cover anything w/ the lap band. If it wont cover the surgery chances are its an exclusion in the policy , and that usually means they wont cover ANYTHING . They MIGHT cover a complication but you would have to look into that ?

Also FYI , In Texas if you ever lose EITHER JOB or for some reason have to get private health insurance you CANT W/ the lap band. Your deemed uninsurable ! I can not get health insurance expect thorugh the Texas high Risk Health Pool and I pay $500 a month for JUST ME !!!

So, from pre-op to post-op ... how long was it before you got to eat 'normal' food. no mushies or any of that stuff. I'm really worried about after I have the surgery how tough it is going to be not to eat. I've been reading on here that some people on here don't start feeling the band is working until the 3rd or 4th fill? What is the time-frame to get to that 3rd or 4th fill? :)

I was only on a pre op diet for a week , And it was high Protein low carb. I could eat solid foods about 6 weeks after surgery . Yes some people do not get restriction for a few fills. BUT that does not mean you cant eat until then .

I have to tell you , this is something you have to KNOW You can do before you do it . I am a BIG BIG BIG ( see my blog ) advocate on FOLLOWING DOCTORS ORDERS, You have to go into this thinking of what your GAINING NOT what your giving UP ! Or what you cant do !!!

I might be wrong but based on your posts your desision , or at least time frame for surgery seems a little rushed maybe ? And i understand that I do. BUT you have to make sure you have all your bases covered.

Like if your insurance does NOT cover the band OR if your part time job CHANGES covereage that does not cover it ... the doc you plan on using ( BTW who do you want to use ) how much do they charge for Self pay fills ? can you afford that ? Because it will do you no good if a place will charge $500 a fill and you get the band then at some point cant afford the fills .

But at the same time , i too was self pay and if some kind of complication were to come up I really would be screwed I do not have health insurance, bUt it was something that I will deal w/ if it comes up . Because the band was worth having my life back for . Just be VERY SURE on the time frame of when your insurance kicks back IN and what they require for surgery !

HTH

Mindy

I live in Austin as well..

Where did you go to have the orientation? With what company? What DR. did you go to and have the surgery with?

I start back to my old job on Nov 3rd. I'm thinking my insurance coverage starts the day that I start back. I would not be so sure about that. I would check , Your insurance could start in 30,60 90 days . So I would double check on that to be sure .

I'm not being hired... I am being re-instated... I have already had insurance with FBCBS... so, it should start right back up the day I go back.

I would make sure of when your insurnace starts. You do not want to have some pre existing condition situation come up because you made an appt too soon . Although w/ most group plans they do not have that BUT you never know . Again I would make sure. I was self pay So i did not have to go to a Primary doc first. Most WLS clinics will make you go to a seminar first its how they get their info out at one time .

I am going to go through Dr. Gantz.... possibly Dr. Patel from San Antonio. I really need to research more. I'll probably wait and make the appointment right after I start working again.

I really doubt your other insurnace will cover anything w/ the lap band. If it wont cover the surgery chances are its an exclusion in the policy , and that usually means they wont cover ANYTHING . They MIGHT cover a complication but you would have to look into that ?

Also FYI , In Texas if you ever lose EITHER JOB or for some reason have to get private health insurance you CANT W/ the lap band. Your deemed uninsurable ! I can not get health insurance expect thorugh the Texas high Risk Health Pool and I pay $500 a month for JUST ME !!!

Yeah, i'm really scared the other insurance will not cover anything. How much is it for a fill? Then you have to have an xray each time right? I think it may cover a complication......

That is scary on losing both jobs.... I hope that never happens. And, that is loco crazy 500 per month. Makes me really think about what i'm about to do....

So, from pre-op to post-op ... how long was it before you got to eat 'normal' food. no mushies or any of that stuff. I'm really worried about after I have the surgery how tough it is going to be not to eat. I've been reading on here that some people on here don't start feeling the band is working until the 3rd or 4th fill? What is the time-frame to get to that 3rd or 4th fill? :)

I was only on a pre op diet for a week , And it was high Protein low carb. I could eat solid foods about 6 weeks after surgery . Yes some people do not get restriction for a few fills. BUT that does not mean you cant eat until then .

I have to tell you , this is something you have to KNOW You can do before you do it . I am a BIG BIG BIG ( see my blog ) advocate on FOLLOWING DOCTORS ORDERS, You have to go into this thinking of what your GAINING NOT what your giving UP ! Or what you cant do !!!

I might be wrong but based on your posts your desision , or at least time frame for surgery seems a little rushed maybe ? And i understand that I do. BUT you have to make sure you have all your bases covered.

Like if your insurance does NOT cover the band OR if your part time job CHANGES covereage that does not cover it ... the doc you plan on using ( BTW who do you want to use ) how much do they charge for Self pay fills ? can you afford that ? Because it will do you no good if a place will charge $500 a fill and you get the band then at some point cant afford the fills .

But at the same time , i too was self pay and if some kind of complication were to come up I really would be screwed I do not have health insurance, bUt it was something that I will deal w/ if it comes up . Because the band was worth having my life back for . Just be VERY SURE on the time frame of when your insurance kicks back IN and what they require for surgery !

Yeah, I know I am rushing it.... Usually when I make a decision ... I don't want to wait around and keep thinking about the issues, etc. I just go and do it and get it over with. That is the part that is going to drive me crazy...is the waiting game. My BMI has to be at least 43...so, with my insurance... I doubt i'm going to have to wait long.

So, 1. I need to check with my state insurance to see what they will cover if for some reason I leave my other job in the future. *I may stay doing both for the rest of my life* lol I can't imagine not having any coverage and something were to happen. Lord have mercy..... that is a scary scary thing......

so, i'm sure southwest bariatrics...does the fills, etc. I wonder about how much they are out of pocket with no insurance?

HTH

Mindy

My answers are above.....

hey creed2474,

I am in Austin, Texas ,

I just had the surgery 2 weeks ago today and I am ok, I am still on a liquid diet but thick liquids, Soups , yogurt etc. but I am ok , I am down 15lbs since the surgery and doing good, the first week after surgery u are on all liquids that is where u will lose the first lbs so it wont be bad, i started feeling week and so my doc which is a great doc here in austin Dr. S. Ganta off of Jollyville Rd did my sugery and he came highly recommended by my employer who is a doc. so if u are interested in seeing him let me know ok he did a new technique on me just using a single incision and going through my belly button not eveyone is a candidate it depends on ur BMI but all in all he is a great doc. pain yes the first few days , I am still sore today on my left side where the port sits I guess , but for the most part I was out of work for 5 days and I have 2 jobs so I am back at both of them. I am ok so if u have any more questions just shot me an email

I believe u will do good, I am nervous about my first fill it will be an experience but I will live , I am so happy and already people can tell I am losing lOL

take care and keep me posted

my doc info www.austinbariatric.com

Becky

hey creed2474,

I am in Austin, Texas ,

I just had the surgery 2 weeks ago today and I am ok, I am still on a liquid diet but thick liquids, Soups , yogurt etc. but I am ok , I am down 15lbs since the surgery and doing good, the first week after surgery u are on all liquids that is where u will lose the first lbs so it wont be bad, i started feeling week and so my doc which is a great doc here in austin Dr. S. Ganta off of Jollyville Rd did my sugery and he came highly recommended by my employer who is a doc. so if u are interested in seeing him let me know ok he did a new technique on me just using a single incision and going through my belly button not eveyone is a candidate it depends on ur BMI but all in all he is a great doc. pain yes the first few days , I am still sore today on my left side where the port sits I guess , but for the most part I was out of work for 5 days and I have 2 jobs so I am back at both of them. I am ok so if u have any more questions just shot me an email

I believe u will do good, I am nervous about my first fill it will be an experience but I will live , I am so happy and already people can tell I am losing lOL

take care and keep me posted

my doc info www.austinbariatric.com

Becky

Yes, that is the Dr. I am talking about. Not Gantz like I originally posted.... all the people I have spoken with in that office seem really nice and have helped me. That is the one i want to go with. What hopsital did you go to?

Yes, that is the Dr. I am talking about. Not Gantz like I originally posted.... all the people I have spoken with in that office seem really nice and have helped me. That is the one i want to go with. What hopsital did you go to?

Is this the doc that does not allow solid food for 5 months post op ?

One of the docs in Austin does not allow solids for 5 months post op , I cant remember if its Ganta or not ?

Mindy

I havent heard this if it is him ?? I am on thick liquids Soups and I am fine ,

I havent heard this if it is him ?? I am on thick liquids Soups and I am fine ,

I have a friend that went ot him and im pretty sure he does not allow solid foods for 5 months .

you are allowed mushies, let me check that its the same doc.

Mindy

Nope just checked that's him . unless he's changed it in the last yr.

But from what I heard from a friend who had surgery ( she's on this board too) he does not allow solids for many months , even after you get your first fill you are still not on solids. Perosnally MHO i dont agree w/ that. How do you know if you have restriction or a good fill level if your not even eating solids. But that's just my opinion .

Mindy

I am on thick liquids/mushies right now and I am content with it , maybe it is him , I am not sure but as long as i am not starving we are ok .

No offense but your only 2 weeks out . You will most likely be hungry .

After you are healed more , the more you heal the hungrier you become.

I just asked my friend and they said it depends on the patient but he does have some patients go that long w/ out solid foods , he doesnt want their stomach breaking down things like steak , which i understand that but at 5 months post op its a bit excessive in my opinion .

I hope you do not get hungry . And if you do not have to do mushies for 5 months that's great !

Mindy