Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Days Post-op and ???'s

Coal

Hi ya'll. I had the band placed on the 25th and since then I've been doing very well except...well I guess i'm not used to having a band around me cause i definitely feel something constantly. I cant tell you if i'm hungry or too full. Maybe it's gas from when they blew me up...but there seems to be so much pressure in my stomach area and my chest. It hurts to take a deep breath and i burp little burps all day long. I'm eating very little liquid foods such as Protein drinks ( about a fourth) and juice. It almost feels like my entire mass of organs have a band around them also their is a pain in my chest or a pressure not sure which. My stomach gurgles constantly too, I thinks it's trying to escape the band or something! also where my steri strips are and the band aids across those have started breaking out in these red pimple like Fluid filled sores and the skin tears right off. Could i be allergic to the bandaids or strips? The pain in my shoulder is starting to get better though so thats good news....what do ya'll think? is this normal? am i hungry? am i getting too much? today i had

Breakfast 1/4 Protein shake

two hours later sips of apple juice

lunch 1/3 Soup just the liquid part

two hours later sips of juice

then a couple of bites of mashed potatoes that mom (who is also banded) brought over cause she was convinced i'm starving though she should know better.... i'm not supposed to have those yet...only a couple of bites but could that be the problem??? it's been hours (about five) since i ate those two bites but i still feel tons and tons of pressure....any ideas???? HELP HELP. (smiles) ok not that desperate but it is rather uncomfortable you know. :)

I would definately guess you are allergic to the steri strips. I would call the doc. When they took my staples out, they put tape across my incisions and I was allergic to that. Then when I had my fill they put a band aid across the the insertion site and it made a red mark that stayed for two days. I am not usually allergic to anything like that. I just figure the skin on my tummy is sensitive. And on your other feelings, I felt bloated for several days after surgery. I'm sure it was the gas. Are you taking GasX? I doubt the mashed potatoes hurt anything. I began eating potatoe Soup (liquidy)about four or five days out. I just took it very easy and didn't have much. I am not a doctor though, just giving from my experiences. Keep us updated. Good luck!

Everythign you describe sounds normal. Take it easy with the food! If anything give you any discomfort, take a step back and return to liquids.

Even if you're not allergic, bandaids can cause problems for sensitive skin. My doctor told me to take them off because the scars would heal faster without them. And the rash I was getting was pretty nasty!

Although it is unlikely you have done any damage, the two bites of mashed potato is my vote for your current level of discomfort. It sounds as though you are very tight right now, as I was right after surgery. I had painful burps for a week. I was so tight that I could not consume the amount of liquids recommended - I was just so full, and so very not hungry. So I would not be surprised if those mashed potatos are still sitting in there.

No more non-liquids for 2 weeks, at least!! I was getting hungry about 2 days shy of my two weeks - that's how long it took for my band swelling to go down.

Be gentle to yourself, and don't overdo.

Welcome to bandland!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. I feel much better today. I didn't sleep lastnight much because of the discomfort though. grrrr and i took the bandaids off as they were really causing trouble. eeek. thanks again, taking it easy from now on! oh and no i'm not taking gas-x, i asked it i should and the nurse said that the gas was on the outside of my stomach so it wouldn't do anygood and that my body would have to reabsorb it sooner or later. But you know i wonder if when it reabsorbs if it would help then??

Guest magiwicken

I took my bandages off the day after surgery and never looked back. I eventually had to use alcohol, about a week later, to get the Gummy stuff off my belly.

I walked a lot after my surgery. I walked around the night after surgery and the next day. Two days after surgery, I walked at least a mile. I think this helped with the pain and gas and all that discomfort stuff. Dr. Sanchez, who banded me, encouraged the walking, not only to relieve shoulder and tummy discomfort, but also to prevent blood clots in the legs.

I know you are probably past all your discomforts by now; I thought that perhaps this would help others who were about to have the surgery.

5 weeks since mine and 20 pounds are gone. I feel great!

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your reply. I'm just about over my discomforts, today was much much better! and you are right the walking does help quite a bit. It's been six days now and the shoulder pain is finallllly gone!! yeah! congrats on your weight loss too.