Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone else going through emotional upheaval?

Is it just me or has my band surgery (and subsequent complications) caused my hormones to go into whack??>.. I have slowly become an emotional wreck.. It isn't my usual pms attack.. (although that is due an I can get a little teary a few days before)..but this is ten times worse. I am angry, having mood swings.. (although not so many nice moods) and just so tearful..

... can it be because of the band??.. and not eating properly?.. I am not at all miserable with my band. I love my band.. I just can't seem to get on with my day without snapping at people and feeling really down and crying so much....

I have ordered st johns wort and evening primrose oil today to see if that will help....

gosh I hope this doesn't last long> I could get fired!!!...

THanks

Kizzie

I've read about this countless times on the board. It has to do with losing weight; hormones that were stored in your fat get released and it feels like going through puberty all over again. I went through this a few weeks after the surgery...and yeah, I got so b*tchy to my boss I thought I was going to be fired. I seem to be leveled out now, but I haven't lost more than a pound or two since then anyway :thumbup:

Really??

I am kind of relieved that there is a reason for it.. but now what!?

My symptoms are slowly increasing!.. best get to the doctor again!

Can you remember where on the board you read about this before? Maybe reading other accounts will make for a clearer picture..

thank you so much for replying!!....

does insomnia have anything to do with this too?? and aching hips??...

thanks again

Kizzie

I hear that fat emits estrogen... so that could be the problem, your estrogen is falling as your weight drops. Perhaps you should mention this to your doc...

I hope you feel better soon! I have felt mean too lately... and very unmotivated! I go to my Gyn doc soon. I am going to ask about the hormone levels and weight loss.

Good luck! you are doing great!

I've not experienced it, but wanted to point out that if you scroll to the bottom of the page when you have this thread open on your screen, there are links to 'similar threads'. Maybe one of those would have more info., since someone mentioned reading about it here. That might be a start. Hope it gets better.

Cathychatt.. have emailed my surgeon today. He wants to see me tomorrow. Thank you for your support I hope you get sorted out soon too.. horrible being out of control of our emotions!.. so unlike me

Long2bthin: THANKS!!... I had no idea that was at the bottom of the screen.. just shows I never go further than this little quick reply box..thank you for taking the time to point that out...

hi all! oh yeah, my moods are swinging! i feel for you kizzie! i suddenly snap at my husband for no obvious reason. just nasty words i would never normally say. i even did it once on vacation this past weekend but then it was raining and he was holding the umbrella over HIS head and i was getting soaked so maybe that one was justified a little!

interesting about fat loss giving off estrogen! i had to come off hormones before the surgery for 2 months then went back on 1 month after. so i know that can't be helping the mood situation. i think i get blood sugar swings too - that cause me to be grumpy ( usually i'm hungry when i snap and calm some when i eat - but not always). and i think just the fact that i have to be so careful about what i eat and when i drink and how i eat that it just gets to me.

i have heard that depression is commonly experienced after this surgery so maybe you just need some help thru this period of time (your dr will know i'm sure!).

let us know how you make out at the dr. we're here for you! hang in there!

In her book Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell, Debra Waterhouse says that the stubbornness of fat in menopausal women does, indeed, have to do with dwindling estrogen levels. You see, it's not just that estrogen creates fat - fat also creates estrogen. You might call it a feedback loop. This ability of fat to create estrogen (and other hormones, as well) is why women who are a little overweight are far less likely to get osteoporosis than women who are underweight. It is also a reason why serious obesity is a risk factor for hormonal disorders.

Because fat is a source of hormones, when estrogen production by the ovaries starts to drop as we approach menopause, the body hoards fat to buffer the decrease in estrogen. Waterhouse claims that women who aren't painfully thin actually have fewer menopausal symptoms than really skinny women, for this very reason.

This means that our bodies are increasingly reluctant to give up their fat cells as we advance through perimenopause, and apparently supplemental estrogen doesn't encourage them to let go - it just increases fat deposition and holds Water, just like it does during our menstrual cycles (or, for that matter, in farm animals fed synthetic estrogens to fatten them.)

thanks for this info cathychatts! i've never heard of this book - will look for it - sounds very interesting! i thought that stronger bones in heavier people was due to more weight load on the bones - they have to be stronger to bear the weight. probably that's just a small part of it!

Cathychatt.. have emailed my surgeon today. He wants to see me tomorrow. Thank you for your support I hope you get sorted out soon too.. horrible being out of control of our emotions!.. so unlike me

Long2bthin: THANKS!!... I had no idea that was at the bottom of the screen.. just shows I never go further than this little quick reply box..thank you for taking the time to point that out...

Your welcome, I hope it proved helpful. I just discovered it myself not too long ago when I was reading posts about gall bladders. There's also a handy tool there to bounch from thread to thread without having to go back to the index.

I went to a 3mos and out class at my hospital last night and the nurse giving it mentioned the first few months being crazy with the fat loss giving off estrogen or something to that effect so sounds like there's definitely something to it. Maybe since I am in 'the change' I didn't have as much to give off or something. Interesting.