Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This has been done to death

And I will most likely get flamed on here for posting this. But, I have to get this off my chest before I go completely nuts over this issue.

Plus, it is a rant and I am in the R&R section.

Here goes, the closer I get to my one yr bandiversary, the more upset I get when reading about people complaining about being slow losers due to the band not working the "right way". The complain about how they can eat all the ice cream, sweets, fast food and fried food they want w/o feeling full right away. They can still eat full plates of food no matter how long they chew their bites.

They then say that they don't exercise at all because they just never have done any sort of exercise and why should they now.

:biggrin::cursing::cool2::cursing::w00t::cursing::tt2::cursing::svengo::cursing::nopity:

Are you kidding me? This is not a cure all for people. It will not make it so you can feel full after two bites unless you are way too tight. In one yr I have had only 2 fills. And I didn't feel I needed the second one, I just went along with it because they had it on a "schedule". Now, I don't let them near my port unless I want it. I have never had great restriction, I just know what the portion sizes are that I should be eating. When I am done with that, I stop. After about 10-15 minutes, I feel full/satisfied. Even the other night, I finished my dinner and wanted more (my head was telling me a small portion more wouldn't hurt). I looked at DW, told her what was going on, stood up and walked away. I learned from past mistakes.

Also, you NEED to exercise. You don't have to exercise like I do (6-7 mornings a week of cardio and 4 nights a week weight training), but you have to do something. Even if it is starting off walking down the block and back. Each week add a little more. Like the ads say: Do Something!

Ok, I've got that off my chest. Hopefully, I can hold off the heart attack now.:)

Well said Ceradad. How can people expect to lose any weight if they aren't doing their part? I mean come on why have the surgery if you're not going to care enough about what you have to do to get healthy.

Congratulations on your weight loss!!

You will get no flaming from me!! I agree totally! And I am only 10 weeks post op. Those same folks will blame the band for not working for them.

Well said! I don't understand WHY people who are trying to lose weight are eating ice cream, fast food, fried foods, etc., on a regular basis anyway. Do they really think that the band is some kind of magic wand that just sucks the fat and calories out? My nutritional instruction before surgery was complete crap (my doctor is great, but the NUT at the hospital was an idiot), but most of it is just common sense.

I'm not banded yet but I understand exactly what you're saying. These people are eating fattening greasy foods or food that goes right through their pouch! It's so dumb...then they are like wah I only lost 5 lbs or 2 lbs etc. Then you ask them if they're exercising and they say no...I don't have to the band should make me lose no matter what I do.

I am to be banded in November and I never once expected my band to be a cureall. I am working right now even without the band trying to exercise daily and eating right. And having good results too. If you freaking try...you will lose. Simple as that.

Also, you NEED to exercise. You don't have to exercise like I do (6-7 mornings a week of cardio and 4 nights a week weight training), but you have to do something. Even if it is starting off walking down the block and back. Each week add a little more. Like the ads say: Do Something!

well babe, you know you'll get nothing but support on this one from me.

to be honest - i really rarely venture outside the food/nutrition & exercise threads, cause i don't believe those who are complaining REALLY want advise. just my opinion.

i too am a crazy exercise person - and "try" to get something in each day & it's frustrating (for about 2 seconds) when i get a PM like yesterday saying i'm not a real person & my weight loss is fake. well, my feelings got hurt for a bit, thought of replying - but decided that that person could never handle a session with me and my trainer. and if they wanted to come to dallas, i'd be happy to oblige.

exercise DOES impact how much weight you lose, i like food too much to not strike that balance.

to be honest - i really rarely venture outside the food/nutrition & exercise threads, cause i don't believe those who are complaining REALLY want advise. just my opinion.

i too am a crazy exercise person - and "try" to get something in each day & it's frustrating (for about 2 seconds) when i get a PM like yesterday saying i'm not a real person & my weight loss is fake. well, my feelings got hurt for a bit, thought of replying - but decided that that person could never handle a session with me and my trainer. and if they wanted to come to dallas, i'd be happy to oblige.

exercise DOES impact how much weight you lose, i like food too much to not strike that balance.

Someone PMed you and said that? How rude of them. I wouldn't have been a happy camper and I would have let them know. My anger controls me sometimes. I'm sorry someone did that was it on here?

luluc, if I get down to Dallas this year or next for a Cowboys game, I will take you up on your offer. Not so much to see if I can hang with you. More to say I worked out with a hottie that hung with the Baylor football players.:thumbup::tt1:

But, you are correct, they don't want advice, they seem to want sympathy. People seem to want to play the victim, some thrive on it. They were always the "fat" person that everyone picked on. Then, they finally decided to do something and noone supported them. Now, they have this "cure all" tool and it just doesn't work for them. They want to be the martyr in everything they do.

I'm tired of it. I got fed up listening to friends and co workers ripping on me for being "big". I decided to do something about it. Then, I decided if I was going to have the surgery, I was going to make the changes needed to make it work properly.

I, in no way, eat the proper foods at all times. Heck, last night for our anniversary, we went out to Applebee's (I know, I know, we splurged for fine dining there, huh?:sad:). Kind of hard to eat right there. And I didn't. I just didn't eat as much as I would have pre surgery. And, I exercise-ALOT.

So, I guess I should just stop reading all those "whoa is me" threads and do like luluc/hottie (I keep that up and luluc's hubbie won't let me near the state of Texas, let alone workout with her) and stay in the exercise/fitness area and a couple others.

That's awful! Some people are just really nuts. I haven't really dealt with anybody like that here, but there are some that I just want to strangle at my IRL support group.

I'm not a big exercise nut, but I've found that doing something everyday (cardio 4-5 times a week, strength training 3 times a week) has REALLY kicked my weight loss up a notch lately. June and July, things had really slowed down, but the pace has picked up a lot. Plus, I feel great. Even better than I had before. I'm not having up and down days anymore like I was before. I hated the thought of exercising before and waited far too long to start.

I'm not a big exercise nut, but I've found that doing something everyday (cardio 4-5 times a week, strength training 3 times a week) has REALLY kicked my weight loss up a notch lately. June and July, things had really slowed down, but the pace has picked up a lot. Plus, I feel great. Even better than I had before. I'm not having up and down days anymore like I was before. I hated the thought of exercising before and waited far too long to start.

Great job JaimeSTL. That is all it takes. In no way would I ever expect most people to go like I do. I'm not being arrogant, just I've been involved in athletics in some way all my life. I'm used to lifting weights and doing some cardio. But, it is important to do something and by your losing 90 lbs in just under 6 mos, you obviously have done GREAT! Keep it up.

That's awful! Some people are just really nuts. I haven't really dealt with anybody like that here, but there are some that I just want to strangle at my IRL support group.

YAY JAIMEEEE down 90 lbss!! :thumbup::biggrin::sad: -hugggg-

Great job JaimeSTL. That is all it takes. In no way would I ever expect most people to go like I do. I'm not being arrogant, just I've been involved in athletics in some way all my life. I'm used to lifting weights and doing some cardio. But, it is important to do something and by your losing 90 lbs in just under 6 mos, you obviously have done GREAT! Keep it up.

LOL Can you tell that to the people who tell me I'm losing too fast? :thumbup:

YAY JAIMEEEE down 90 lbss!! :thumbup::biggrin::sad: -hugggg-

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. :tt1:

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. :sad:

As you damn well should be hun!!! You'll be goal in no time!!!:thumbup:

Guest Leslie2Lose

While I agree with you 100% about your OP, I'm not sure I agree about everyone that complains is out looking for attention or sympathy. The people the complain ALL the time are - I usually just move past those posts. I commented one time about complainers and had my head bitten off. Actually it was a huge rant because it ticked me off.

While most of the time I'm a pretty positive person, I'm a guilty complainer this week. I've hit a plateau and it's been driving me nuts for over a month. I posted looking for advice. Being a "newbie" I'm looking for new ideas. I'm training for a 5K, been following the rules, think I'm close to my sweet spot and have gained for two weeks...there my complaint is out in the open :-)...