Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Moving in...

Hi Bandsters!

I just joinned today! I've been doing alot of research on the procedure and after struggling with it I decided last month to get the band :crying:. This is against the wishes of my mom, best friend and rest of my family. But I know whats best for me. Soooo...I've completed all my tests and evals and am now waiting for insurance approval. Anyone have any exerperience with getting approval from United Healthcare? I didn't go through a six month WL program but had alot of Dr's recommendations and paperwork so I'm hoping for the best since I have a WHOLE lot of weight to loose!

P.S. I'm exited to be here!

Hey girl,

I had the lapband on April 16th, also against the wishes of most of my family. In fact, I wasn't planning on telling them, but my stepmom went and let the proverbial cat out of the bag, and I came home from the hospital amidst nasty phone calls from irate family members. What I've learned in my experience is that it is YOUR life and YOUR decision. I am SO happy that I decided to do it - I'm down 14 lbs (now that I hit my sweet spot! YES!), and am so happy. I am looking forward to the day I fly home (Family is in Pennsylvania, I'm in Missouri) at a size 10-12, and see the looks on their faces. :)

Good luck with everything!

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Glad to hear you're doing so well. My family feels I'm throwing in the towel considering I've been able to lose large amounts of weight in the past. But like I keep telling them "I refuse to gain and lose the same 100lbs over and over again." My mom has pretty disowend me but I think she and the rest of the family will come once they see my success. Since this will only push me to work that much harder. My surgery date has been scheduled for 9/17/08 and I just can't wait!

I think that in the end its your life and YOU know whats best for you...I think many of us (myself included) have also gained and lost the same 100 pounds over and over...its one of the reasons we all choose the band! :thumbup: My family was not for it either, but now that I'm 3 months out, they really don't talk about it much...its not really the topic of conversation anymore. Yes, my success is recognized, but the fact that I got the band isn't really a big deal anymore. I'm sure once your family sees how you are doing, they will get over it. I mean, its pretty silly for your mom to disown you for trying to get healthy. Its not her choice. Good luck to you! :wink2:

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Glad to hear you're doing so well. My family feels I'm throwing in the towel considering I've been able to lose large amounts of weight in the past. But like I keep telling them "I refuse to gain and lose the same 100lbs over and over again." My mom has pretty disowend me but I think she and the rest of the family will come once they see my success. Since this will only push me to work that much harder. My surgery date has been scheduled for 9/17/08 and I just can't wait!

I think that in the end its your life and YOU know whats best for you...I think many of us (myself included) have also gained and lost the same 100 pounds over and over...its one of the reasons we all choose the band! :biggrin: My family was not for it either, but now that I'm 3 months out, they really don't talk about it much...its not really the topic of conversation anymore. Yes, my success is recognized, but the fact that I got the band isn't really a big deal anymore. I'm sure once your family sees how you are doing, they will get over it. I mean, its pretty silly for your mom to disown you for trying to get healthy. Its not her choice. Good luck to you! :blink:

Thanks! My family is the main reason I held off on getting the band...I really regret having waited. But once they see my success I'll no longer be the biggest family member but they're probably want to follow in my footsteps!

Welcome! And though it can be hard, hopefully you can get enough support here and anywhere else you can find it.. even if your mom & family don't support you, you have to do it for YOU. :P