Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet spot or too tight??

How do I know if I am at my sweet spot or too tight?

Some days I can eat normally (approx. 1/2 cup of whatever) and some days I cannot choke down a thing. More often than not I try to eat and I just can't do it. I try to eat the small Dannon yogurts and can only get down about 1/2 of the container. I'm finding myself using the Protein Drinks more and more.

I am definitely getting full faster when I do eat and am not feeling hungry at all. I am basically having to force food in which I think is making it harder to swallow past the restriction.

I just don't know if I should stick with what I have or go for a little unfill.:)

If you can only eat a 1/2 Dannon yogurt I would say you are too tight. Also, if you are leaning towards liquids only that is another sign you are too tight. The band is meant to give you restriction but by eating real food.

I would call your dr!

I would get a tiny unfill. I have hit my sweet spot and I don't have any of those problems. I get full on tiny amounts of food thats for sure but they still go down. I don't use Protein shakes at all.

You should be able to chew and swallow almost any food and still lose weight.

I am thinking i am also a little too tight. I had a fill two weeks ago, and since then I was able to actally eat a piece of broiled fish on two occassions. I really can't figure it out, because Friday I was able to eat, but last night I through up a popsicle I had for dinner. I'm not getting enough Protein, but and my veggies come from V-8's. I was told by a mentor to stick it out and see if the weight comes off.

Brandy, How are you doing with Protein intake? My doc wants me to get 90 grams in. That is a lot and even with the Protein shake my hair is falling out.

I really think I am actually getting more protein now than before I had surgery so I can't figure out the Hair loss thing?

I haven't had any hair loss. It's pretty hard to get protein in with as little as most of us eat.. so I use Protein Shots and eat lots of grilled chicken and such.

Guest Leslie2Lose

My last fill (July 2nd) - I was too tight. I was like you I could eat more some days than others. I was having problems some days with mashed potatoes and mushies. I got a slight un-fill which helped wonders. I think I'm still not at my sweet spot. She gave me 1.5 cc (got me up to 6.5 in a 10 cc band). My unfill was .5 I think if I get .2 on my next fill (August) I'll be right where I need to be. Probly TMI, bu thought I'd share anyway.

I'd call that too tight. And it wouldnt surprise me if you're disappointed in the weight loss you get for such sacrifice, it seems to work that way.

I'd prefer to exercise more and thus be able to eat more (well a wider variety more specifically). I had a small unfill recently because I found myself that tight (we think some girl problems i've been having contributed) and I found it really darn inconvenient and very embarrassing eating out with others, I'm sure I looked like I was anorexic, I didnt enjoy anything and although I didnt seek it out on purpose with the intent of losing any weight, I didnt lose any at all.

I was too tight recently and just had 1/2 cc removed today. It was just enough to give me some relief. I still have good restirction but I can eat solid food again.

Well, by all the responses I think the best best is a slight unfill.

I am definitely not enjoying what I do get to eat...it is such a chore and there is no weight coming off. I guess I'm not getting enough calories and it is getting harder to exercise since I don't think I'm getting enough to give me energy.

Guess I will call my doctor's office tomorrow.

Thanks everybody!

Carla: I'm in the same situation w/ you and was also wondering if I should tough it through until the band loosen alittle or go in for an unfill. I got my first fill one wk ago. I got 6cc in a 14cc band. My dr and I talked and since I had little fat around my stoma he put in a little more than usual. I would have to drink a cup of hot tea in the morning for anything solid to go down. Some days are better than others. Last night I had 2 bite of fish and it got stuck, I then had to eat Soup for dinner. It's frustrating at times. My question is...would the band loosen it self up after another week?

vkcse03: Actually my second fill it took about a month to loosen up some. I've noticed over the last day or so that I think this fill is starting to loosen up. It is getting a little easier to eat but I definitely still have to be very careful.

I'm going to give it a little more time before I ask about an unfill since things seem to be getting better. That could change tomorrow though since it keeps changing.

I have been on night shift for the last month so I'm beginning to think that is the issue. It seems to be easier to eat on my days off. I switch back to day time living on my days off so I think the nights may be making things harder.

Let me know how you make out.