Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much protein do I need???

Four months out with 45 lbs gone. i've began a bootcamp workout 1 hr. dailey. Now i'm beginning to really look at nutrician and I am so confused...i'm counting Fiber, calories & Protein. How much protein is good? :confused:HELP

Edited by NANAbanded

According to my nutritionist you should about 50-60 mg per day spread out in 3 meals. I am to eat 2-4 ounces per "meal." 90 percent of the food I eat should be Protein and the other 10 percent complex carbohydrates. The Protein is extremely hard to get. It was recommended that I use a product called New whey. It has 42 gm of protein in a 3.1 ounce vial.

Basically, from my perspective this is very similiar to the Atkins diet. The protein helps curb the hunger and is absolutely necessary for the functioning of your body. The complex carbs stay in your pouch longer which also helps with hunger. I count protein and carbs.

I have discovered an issue with this diet though. I was also instructed to take quite a few Vitamins - well, those Vitamins and this protein diet really have very little fiber and that is not good. Even with all the Water and exercise I had a problem. Fortunately, Crystal Light has a product that contains fiber - yeah. I don't yet know how well it will work. I talked to the doctor about this and about the recommendations that I was given and basically he said that I would have to find a solution that works for me. His recommendations produced so much gas that I was in pain.

I have found some answers on the internet including one natural recipe that includes prunes and dates. Of course, both of these are rather high in carbs and calories - but you only use 1-4 Tbs a day - "Fruitlax."

Anyway, hope that above helps. This is what was recommended to me. It would be a good idea to touch base with your doctor to find out what exactly how much protein he wants you to have. All the doctors seem to be a bit different.

Hi - I get very frustrated with the amount of conflicting diet info out there, too. Anyway, here is my surgeons guidelines:

Fat - less than 25g

Complex Carbs - less than 100g

Fiber - At least 25g (obviously have to take a supplement for this)

Protein - At least 65g

I track everything on mydailyplate.com and it helps keep track of all the totals, plus it can help you calculate calories.

Hope that helps. I find it hard to live within those guidelines, but I'm trying.

Deb

Really? I don't have any trouble getting Protein - some days I get over 90 grams - and I hate the shakes, so I do it all with food. My trouble is trying to stay within the fat and carb guidelines. And forget about the fiber. What kind of supplement do you like for fiber?

I haven't found a good fiber alternative - I've tried Fiber One, Metamucil, and Milk of Magnesia. These do not work for me. Some of them can even cause a lot of gas pain. Now, Crystal Light has a fiber mix to add to Water. There is a recipe called Fruitlax that contains prunes, dates, orange juice and prune juice - thought I would try that as the recommended about does not exceed 4 TBS. I have researched and purchased some of the high Protein, low carb and high fiber bars. I found a lot of fiber in some of those bars from Atkins.< /p>

How much food do you have to eat to get 90 mgs? I can't eat much per meal and what are you eating?

I generally eat around 1/2 to 2/3 cup of food at each meal, and eat about 5 or 6 times a day. Yesterday I had:

B: Leftover Pot Roast and Baked Potato - 22 grams Protein

L: 1 egg omelet w/ 2T diced ham and 1 T shredded parmesan - 13g

D: 1/2 grilled small hamburger and cottage cheese - 26g

and for a bedtime snack I have been eating 1/3 cup bran buds with skim milk to try to get a little fiber - 13g fiber, 5g Protein.< /p>

Plus I had a Skinny Cow Fudgesicle and some Orange juice for Snacks. Totals for the day: 1200 calories, 46g fat (yikes!), 130g carbs (not bad), 19 grams fiber, and 72 grams protein.

I am still learning how to eat high protein, low fat and low-ish carbs - I am only a little over 2 weeks out from surgery (isn't it crazy that my surgeon has his patients eating real food so soon?!)

But I eat a lot of lowfat cottage cheese - big protein there, and so far I am ok with both chicken and juicy hamburgers if I put a little sauce on them. Sometimes yogurt, but that doesn't really fill me up. One day I had a little Peanut Butter with a few ww ritz crackers, which has good protein, but waaaaay high in fat, so I won't do it too often. I made some chicken salad with a little lite mayo, mustard and relish and that had a ton of protein, and went down well.

I have not had any fills yet, so I am white knuckling the eating thing. I keep track of everything on thedailyplate.com, a great site IMO. Do you track your food? What kinds of stuff do you eat?

Thanks for sharing, I usually get a lot of info off of the OH board, but the people over here are really nice.

Deb

I eat a lot of cottage cheese. I can eat about 4-6 ounces per meal. The nutritionist recommends 2-4 ounces 3 times a day. So, basically I am on 90 percent Protein and 10 percent complex carbs. My calorie count is probably somewhere between 600-800 right now. I use Protein supplements and Multivitamins, B complex, Calcium and D Vitamin. I eat a lot of string cheese for Snacks. I eat eggs, yogurt, deli turkey slices, cheese, chicken, and I have added a whole grain Cereal to try to get more fiber. I eat Beans - refried and kidney, sausage, bacon, chili, Soups, broccoli, Protein Bars, fish and hamburgers without the bread.

I use to keep a journal daily - now I just jot down notes.

You are certainly eating better than I am and I need to eat more to prevent my body from shutting down the weight loss. My problem is that I am short and I cannot eat as many calories as others can. Normally, I probably can't have more than 1200 calories per day. If so, I will gain weight. It is a little depressing but that is just the way it is. If I go exercise crazy I can eat more and I have done that but it is a lot of work and maintenance - we are talking Richard Simmons.

Lots of luck to you.

Kerry,

If you check out thedailyplate.com, there is a place where you can imput your height, weight, excercise level, and goal amount of weight lost per week, and it will calculate the number of calories per day you should have. I am short also - 5'2" and it calculates for me 1300 cals per day. You definately need to eat enough to keep your metabolism from shutting down. According to my nut. 800 calories and below is bad. She said that sometimes eating more will actually help people start losing again because it gooses their metabolism. Plus it is really easy to use, and great for keeping track of everything, nutrition-wise. It even reminds you to get enough Water in.

Good luck to you to,

Deb

this counting game is so stressful. i'm going to check out thedailyplate.com to see if can help me. theres a site that has helped me to figure out which foods are good for me (calorie-count.com)--it rates the foods for you. You actually put in the calories, Fiber, carbs, etc... and it gives you a rating. I've found that south beach foods get a very good rating.

I've heard that the more fiber you get...the less effect the calories are in that food. (subtract 10 calories for every gram of fiber) not sure if this is true. Protein is difficult for me because i don't like meat. I'm not a vegatarian but could easily be one.

thanks for all the advice.

I completely agree. Everyone (nutritionist, OH posters) say they don't count anything except sometimes calories. My nut. says not to because this is a non-counting lifestyle supposedly. But then she turns around and says that we should be choosing low fat foods, high Protein foods, low calorie foods....etc. Well, after 25 years of dieting, if there is one thing I know about myself, it's that counting keeps me from deluding myself about what I am eating. Besides, I figure I need to keep track for a while, at least until I get used to what that looks like on a plate. It really bugged me in my last nutrition class that she was simultaneously saying don't count anything, but read all the labels and do all this calorie to protein ratio math in our heads. Well, that was mini rant, wasn't it?!

Deb

I generally eat around 1/2 to 2/3 cup of food at each meal, and eat about 5 or 6 times a day. Yesterday I had:

B: Leftover Pot Roast and Baked Potato - 22 grams Protein

L: 1 egg omelet w/ 2T diced ham and 1 T shredded parmesan - 13g

D: 1/2 grilled small hamburger and cottage cheese - 26g

and for a bedtime snack I have been eating 1/3 cup bran buds with skim milk to try to get a little fiber - 13g fiber, 5g Protein.< /p>

Plus I had a Skinny Cow Fudgesicle and some Orange juice for Snacks. Totals for the day: 1200 calories, 46g fat (yikes!), 130g carbs (not bad), 19 grams fiber, and 72 grams protein.

I am still learning how to eat high protein, low fat and low-ish carbs - I am only a little over 2 weeks out from surgery (isn't it crazy that my surgeon has his patients eating real food so soon?!)

But I eat a lot of lowfat cottage cheese - big protein there, and so far I am ok with both chicken and juicy hamburgers if I put a little sauce on them. Sometimes yogurt, but that doesn't really fill me up. One day I had a little Peanut Butter with a few ww ritz crackers, which has good protein, but waaaaay high in fat, so I won't do it too often. I made some chicken salad with a little lite mayo, mustard and relish and that had a ton of protein, and went down well.

I have not had any fills yet, so I am white knuckling the eating thing. I keep track of everything on thedailyplate.com, a great site IMO. Do you track your food? What kinds of stuff do you eat?

Thanks for sharing, I usually get a lot of info off of the OH board, but the people over here are really nice.

Deb

jealous & envious of your diet post op cuz my dr was soooo strict it was (and still is) a bit hard to stick with! are you losing well? my nutritionist told me to aim for 50 grams of protein daily. usually make that up with 2 muscle milk shakes (the low fat ones)---taste okay but the calories still seem kinda high to me

Hi - Well, I am not sure how I am losing because I have avoided getting a scale. I just know I will get into some kind of psycho weighing myself every 10 minutes thing if I do. So far I have only been weighed at the doctors office, and have only been to one appt. I had lost 10 lbs between June 24th and July 9th. I don't how people with strict post op diets handle it, I was so starving after the first few days my stomach was actually cramping. Let me tell you, refried Beans with cheese was the best meal I ever had! The thing is, even though I am tracking all my food, and I know I am eating waaaaay less than I was a few weeks ago, I still have weird food guilt (yesterday I went over my calorie budget), and so I am kind of worried that I am not losing. I think it'll take a while before it shows up in my clothes, so we'll see. I am trying to keep realistic goals, but sometimes it's hard to be patient when I see people that have lost 90 lbs in 6 months! I get my first fill Aug 8th, and I can't wait. I'll see how much I have lost by then. But my surgeon says that he knows it is very hard to lose without the right amount of fill and his goal is just weight maintenance from the two week post op appt and the first fill.