Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Troublesome Foods?

hi there, anyone having trouble with any foods in particular? i have tried canned salmon (like tuna but i don't like tuna) with low-fat mayo 2 times now and even with mashing it with a fork then chewing it like mad - it feels stuck - can't eat much of it. first time, i got pain across my stomach to both sides so i stopped immediately. today, just got a lot of pressure but not the pain - that's only after a 2-3 ounces at most.

so far that's it for me. i have been cautious and haven't tried too much yet. i'm on full soft foods now. had fun grocery shopping today - getting some REAL food!

I thought I'd be so excited to buy "real foods" but I'm really still liking my cottage cheese and Protein shakes! I too have been cautious. Today I had spaghetti sauce with ground beef...yum! It was hubby's idea that I have a small bowl of that and he had his on Pasta.

The problems I've had so far have been with chicken and pecans. I had a chicken tender (yes, it was fried...my most naughty moment so far) and the meat was dry. I chewed like crazy and had taken small bites, but I got an odd pain in my chest. I walked around the room and took a sip of Water and it was okay. Same with the pecans. I had one and chewed it like crazy, but something about the texture still gave me that little pain and tightening.

I also had a Water scare. After a 30 minute recumbent bike ride I grabbed a water bottle and before I thought about it I took a BIG swig! Before I swallowed it all I thought "Holy crap this is going to hurt." I was able to hold it in my mouth and just let a little bit go down at a time and it was fine.

bread is my troublesome food. I have twice now gotten bread from a sandwich stuck to where it would not go down.:wink2: It was not fun at all. I think my problem on both occasions was the fact that I had waited too long to eat and was VERY hungry. I was "gobbling" the sandwich down and the first few bites got stuck. Boy, did I pay for it. I have to remember to eat slowly and take my time.

With the exception of the poorly chewed tortilla chip ( I wasn't think) that felt like glass going down I have been able to eat most anything. But I have avoided bread and anything too crunchy like granola or anything guarateed to stick like pizza.

My problem has been afterwards. I took a few bites of pop corn (well chewed of course) and thinking since it went down ok all would be well. The next day I had a super stomach ache. The vineyard I drank last Friday wasn't good, but that's another story....

So far so good with me. A bit of restriction but I am getting foods down ok. Long may it last!

I had chicken salad yesterday and it was delish and felt nice and full but not sick for quite a while.

I was traveling with my son and we stopped at a little out of the way diner for Breakfast. I ordered oatmeal like a good mushies girl should but then "that other voice" convinced me that hashbrowns could sorta maybe if I reaaaalllly wanted them to. . . pass for a mushie. Three bites of the hashbrowns and holy freaken' cow, I was in so much pain!!! I couldn't even swallow my own spit. After getting up and down and down and up AND after watching my 13 year old eat his breakfast and mine, we got out of there. Before we could get out of town, I had to stop the van because here came those hashbrowns! I think it was probably the grease in them, but I am a believer, no greasy stuff for me anymore.

I have been doing great.. Not having breads, Pasta, rice or chips/popcorn, although when my family has them it's tough but getting on the scale makes it better to see the weight come off knowing I didn't endulge, so I don't get those problems..

Had tuna in the pouch today for lunch with english peas.. I am not a big tuna eater but found the kind with the teriyaki flavor and its not bad.. I enjoyed the Soup and Protein shake phase kind of scarry to change cause now it gets tough to say no to the bad foods... I was in a safe zone.. I love to grill out so that will save me.. I love grilled veggies and meats...

I also took a big drink of Water after working out the other day and I thought I would pay for it but I have not had any close calls yet.. I am waiting..

Everyone should stop torturing themselves with tuna. Canned chicken is much nicer. I had the for lunch again today with Ryvita crackers. (well chewed crackers of course)

Whats wrong with tuna? I love tuna. Personally I wouldn't waste time with canned chicken. Getting a 4lb bag of chicken breast, cooking it up, cubing it, and freezing is alot better then the canned.

It tastes better, has more nutrients, and hardly any sodium compared to canned chicken.

Or if you go online you can buy frozen cubed chicken. The same stuff found in restaurants.

I haven't been cautious at all, once I got cleared to eat real food I ate some grilled steak the very first thing, and the only thing I've had trouble with is bread. It just felt like it didn't go down well. I know I won't be able to eat it at all after I start getting fills. And I've tried it more than once, and I get the same feeling every time I eat it.

Whats wrong with tuna? I love tuna. Personally I wouldn't waste time with canned chicken. Getting a 4lb bag of chicken breast, cooking it up, cubing it, and freezing is alot better then the canned.

It tastes better, has more nutrients, and hardly any sodium compared to canned chicken.

Or if you go online you can buy frozen cubed chicken. The same stuff found in restaurants.

I agree as well but it seemed like people were forcing themselves to eat tuna because it is a convenient source of Protein and already shredded for those still past the mushies and onto soft food. A lot of people have a hard time with regular chicken. It's an easy thing to have for lunch for those of us still babying our stomach. I liked tuna pre-band but the sound of it right now seems pretty blech.

I agree as well but it seemed like people were forcing themselves to eat tuna because it is a convenient source of Protein and already shredded for those still past the mushies and onto soft food. A lot of people have a hard time with regular chicken. It's an easy thing to have for lunch for those of us still babying our stomach. I liked tuna pre-band but the sound of it right now seems pretty blech.

Though I agree regular chicken may not go down like the canned. Its more of moisture issue rather then anything. A good thing I like to do before banded is cook up chicken and cube it. I then marinate it in some spices. Throw the chicken into a plastic bag and let it sit overnight then drain some access fliud then freeze. You can freeze them in one big bag or make seperate small ziplocks like I do. I can take them out anything, microwave them and they come out perfect everytime.

Don't get my wrong, canned chicken is a good replacement for canned tuna. However, I wouldn't replace canned chicken with regular chicken unless I was under severe time constraints.

I've had problems with chicken and broccoli. It really gets stuck and makes me feel awful. This surprised me. I can eat a sub-way sub without any problem. But I am sure the bread is more than I should have.

I slimed over scrambled eggs this morning. I wasn't careful about chewing because I thought they were soft and it would be no big deal. I was wrong but luckily it was short lived and I did not throw up.

Okay... I had a really bad experience tonight with meatloaf and broccoli. I took a bite of broccoli and then a bite of meatloaf and thought I had chewed well, but immediately felt the pressure and pain in my chest, telling me that it was stuck. Not sure if it was the meatloaf or the broccoli. I had a LOT of sliming and pbing and pain for over an hour. I finally put my finger down my throat to be able to throw up since it just wasn't going down. That did it for me and I got relief. Had to make a couple trips to the bathroom to do it tho.

I have read on here that broccoli could be the problem. This was my first time eating it so maybe it was.

What happened tonight was right down kinda scarey.....I have had stuff get a little stuck and it pass on it's own, but tonight I was actually getting worried when it wouldn't go down.

Broccoli needs to be really cooked down. Probably more then people would like it to be. But the way the stalks are and the mini stalks it really needs to be soft.