Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mattoon area bandsters??

Hi my name is Penny I am from the Mattoon area and am looking for some local bandsters to chat with.I got banded on Nov.13 2007 .The best thing I ever have done for myself.Hope to hear from the Mattoon area bandsters.Penny:)

Hi Penny!

I am from Mattoon. Not banded yet though. Had my psych eval and nutritionist appt. Waiting on my psych eval to get to my surgeon so he can send everything off for approval. Sigh.......waiting is HARD!

I heard their is a girl out at Consolidated who has the band. Her name is Lisa something but I have not met her.

Would LOVE to find more in our area!

Teri

Nice to meet you Teri.I live in Windsor ,but I work in Mattoon.I work with alady that was banded almost 2 years ago.I didn't even know it until I got mine done.You hear of more people getting it done everyday.My husband had the gastric bypass done in 2000.We didn't meet until 2005 and when I was thinking about doing something about my weight he suggested seeing about the lapband.I was only off a work 12 days and I could have went back sooner ,but had already taken the time off.Dr.Sidney in Clinton did mine and I go Thursday for my fill.That means liquides for a few days after I do that.Oh,well it is worth it.:)When do you think you will get banded.I had to go through a whole process for my insurance co.It took me about 8 months total .I had to be on a doctore assisted diet for 6 months after that it was just waiting to get scheduledfor it.Let me know if you have any questions about any of it.I will be happy to help if I can.Hope to hear from you soon !Penny:)

I am hoping to get my band in July or August. I have completed what is needed for insurance purposes and now waiting on approval before I can complete my testing. My doc is figuring that all will go well.

I would love to know how well you and your friend have done with the band. It would be so nice to have others who have gone through this around me.

Good morning!I have lost 110 pounds 45 was lost while waiting on getting approved.I think Mary has lost around 130.She stopped getting her fills and gained a little ,but is back on track now.It is a learning experience.You learn fast what you can eat and cann't eat.For example : the only way I can eat bread is if it is toasted really well .Bread is my down fall anyway so I just stay away from it.Chewing is very important.If you don't chew everything very well it will get caught and end up coming up.So like I said it is a learning experience.My husband will say slow down and chew!.:)Take your vitiamins ,calcium and I take a Fiber suppliment and you will be fine.Its a life changing choice ,but it is for my best interest.So I have learned to go with the flow and not be hard on myself when I don't seem to loose like I think I should.I will loose 4 pounds one week then nothing the next ,but I am set on a program to loose about two pounds a week ,so it all works outin the end.I only weigh in once a week(keeps me from getting discouraged)usally on Tuesday .Got any questions ,just ask.Penny:)

I have been practicing chewing and sipping to kind of get the hang of it. It takes more concentration than you would think!

I need to lose about 90 total. I would be happy there but if it is a bit more or a bit less, I would be okay with that too. I just want to be healthy. I ache quite a bit and I can't do the things that the rest of my family can.

Have you had any problems with your band at all?

I havent had any problems with my band.Other than the normal stuff,like burping after you get a fill ,getting food caught ,or discomfort from my laying on my side where my port is located.I would not go bad with the way things were before.I had high blood pressure,high cholestral ,a hip replacement done in 2006 and am needing both knees replaced.Now my blood pressure is normal,so is cholestral and my knees dont hurt so much.So I think it is a good trade.:)I can now mow the yard play with the grandkids,ride my motorcycle trike and go on trips.I have really started enjoying life instead of hiding from it.It's not that I couldnt loose the weight ,but I kept putting it right back on.Now I feel like have have control.Penny:)

P. S. Practice is very helpfull on the chewing thing!

Went to Clinton for my fill on Thursday.The doctor did it this time.He does things a little different than his P.A. does.He said I was right on track and don't have to come so often for my fills.He said maybe one more this year.I was shocked!I can sure feel a difference though with this one.Not able to eat much at all.I guess that is good.That is my goal:)!Ok just thought I would let you know whats going on with me.Penny

Good to know that you can really feel this one. Especially since he will not be having you back as often.

I just finished all my pre-op testing and am now waiting on results. Not really worried about any of them except perhaps the sleep study. My surgeon requires a six week cpap trial if I fail the sleep study. I am trying to be patient but the waiting is killing me! :tt1:

Hi! I am from Sullivan and getting my lap-band done on Aug 27th. I am so happy to see there are some local people here! I am very excited to get it done! Do you guys go to the Mattoon support group?

Laura

Hi Laura!Welcome to our internet support group.I havent really found a support group around Mattoon for lapband patients only gastric bypass.I work with a woman who has the lapband I think she is going on her 2 year mark.We talk and keep up on what is going on with our weight loss.My husband and family has been very supportive.I have several people I work with that are interested in having it done .The bad thing is their insurance doesnt cover anything to do with weightloss.Thats pretty said for some because their health is bad.Keep me posted on whats happening andif you have any question just ask.Penny:)

HI EVERYONE! WENT FOR A FILL THIS LAST WEEK.i HADNT HAD ONE SINCE JUNE.JEANINE SAID I AM UP TO 7.5CC'S.i HAD ALSO LOST ANOTHER 9 LBS.GETTING CLOSER TO MY GOAL.I AM GOING BACK FOR MY LAST FILL OF THE YEAR IN DEC. SOMETIME.HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU ON YOUR PROGRESS OF GETTING THE BAND AND HOW YOU ARE DOING IF YOU HAVE ALREADY GOTTEN YOURS.PENNY

Wow Penny that is great! You have done so well!

I went yesterday for my first fill. I was so happy because I have had no restriction at all! I have gained 8lbs of that I had lost so I am really hopping to get that back off plus some. She put 3cc's in and then I go back Oct 30th for another fill.

Penny do you stick to a low carb diet or anything diffrent than just eating little amounts and healthy? I am trying to figure out what the best way to eat is.

Laura dont worry it will go better now that you are getting your fills.i still drink my Unjury in the morning and try to hold my calorie intake to 1000 or 1200 depending on if we are doing something special for the day or if i am just working.now it is coming off a lot slower for me ,but as long as it comes off i am happy.i drink the Protein Drink in the morning because i find it difficult to get food down in the morning,plus i get just about all the Protein i require with 1 drink.i am not a big meat eater so that helps.it was nice hearing from you !keep up the faith and you will do fine!penny