Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I think I love to run...Ask me today after my 8 miler...It will be the longest complete running distance of my life!

Hope you didn't mind that I joined!

wooo hooo Karri...

i've been slacking the past few days but start training for Chicago Tuesday.

i will do something this weekend, not sure what yet.

Ummm...the 8 miles didn't get done yesterday. I think my body was just fatigued. I tried to do them on the treadmill....which just isn't going to work for me anymore...I like running outside much better. However 37 mph winds prevented me from running outside. As I said my body was tired...I went to bed at 6:30PM...but I do get up at 3AM!

When you are training for the Chicago mar. how many LONG runs a week do you do. I am thinking of just doing the 1 long run on Sunday and then just doing 4 milers on my other 2 running days. I also do eliptical 1 day and strength training another. For the half-marathon I think that is enough, but I don't know about when I start training for my full marathon if it will be enough.

Ummm...the 8 miles didn't get done yesterday. I think my body was just fatigued. I tried to do them on the treadmill....which just isn't going to work for me anymore...I like running outside much better. However 37 mph winds prevented me from running outside. As I said my body was tired...I went to bed at 6:30PM...but I do get up at 3AM!

When you are training for the Chicago mar. how many LONG runs a week do you do. I am thinking of just doing the 1 long run on Sunday and then just doing 4 milers on my other 2 running days. I also do eliptical 1 day and strength training another. For the half-marathon I think that is enough, but I don't know about when I start training for my full marathon if it will be enough.

its ok ... 8 miles is a LONG run... you are doing so much better than i am with running.

i have my training schedule in Google docs, if you PM me your email address, i will share it with you.

i think you're on a great schedule for your half... :rolleyes2:

Of course its ok that you joined Karri! The more the merrier :sad:

I wish I could get back to training properly. My knee is just giving me the sh*ts. I got about 3.5km the other day without *much* pain so maybe its on the mend. But it sucks getting my gear on and out in the cold (its getting freezing here in the southern hemisphere!) only to last 15-20 minutes with out pain. Sigh. I envy you guys!!

When I was training for the 2 halfs I was going to do before my injury, I was doing (and planning on doing!) one long run on the weekend, building up to about 20km the weekend before the race. Other runs (3 or 4) during the week were only 5-9km. Sounds like what you're doing is spot on Karri!

I just started running last week, but was silly and jumped right into a 5k(i thought it would be ok since i can't really run all the way, i walked also).

Didn't get proper leg rest the next days and went to run and now here i am with torn ligaments in both knees!

It's not so much the pain that's killing me, but the fact that i can't go out and exercise.

I never thought i'd say i can't wait until i start running again(this time i'll try not to kill my knees).

hey, I just found my invite to join this, I must be stoopid. Yay. People who have similar interests. I'm starting to get really fearful of the main boards, lol. Who IS that idiot Jachut who started that Which Type are You thread? What was she thinking?

Anyway, you guys know I love to run.

Trouble is it hurts. SheSmiles, I so know the frustration and anger that it makes you feel. Its my back, not my knee. It is now suspected that I have endometriosis all over my sciatic nerve, there's no other explanation that we can find for my constant nagging back and leg pain. It makes my right leg feel like it weighs 400 kgs. It worsens with LOTS of exercise, like running four days in a row.

So at the moment, I'm running. I'm doing lots of 10ks but that half marathon will only happen for me if I can ever solve this back thing because I cant do the training. I could probably run it tomorrow if I just went and did it but that's only asking for an injury.

But running, how I love it. I still cant beleive that I can actually do it.

I thought you just didn't like us Jacqui and did want to join hehehe I think I sent Chickie and invite too....

Well beleive it or not, I've run 25km this week and I still want to try to get another 6ker in tomorrow (sunday). My knees are almost back to normal and I have dry needling and LOTSLOTSLOTS of stretching/strengthening exercises to thank for it. Oh and yoga. Yoga is my new second love.

It feels bloody awesome to be relatively pain free again. For a while there I thought that was it, that my running career (ha!) was over.

Jacqui - have you tried physio for your pain? Maybe your gait/stride/technique is off? Do you have orthodics for your shoes? It was actually suggested to me to get a running coach so I can learn to run properly. I know I overpronate, so it probably would help a lot. Not sure how accessable a coach would be where I live though....

Yep, done all that and have the orthotics. Have 2 solid years of physio and acupuncture (which fixed my heel) behind me. Have had back CT's, MRI's, Xrays. There's nothing there to cause the pain and no amount of muscle/manipulation fixes it either. Its not really bad pain, its like having mild period pain in your back/down your leg the entire time. The only time it becomes "sharp" like true sciatic pain - that sudden bolt down the leg - is if I really do a lot of exercise.

The thing that's tipped us off is that it really escalates at period time, and I've been having bowel and bladder symptoms which all get worse at period time too - painful urination, and horrific bowel cramps when doing no. 2's, they all go away when my period does. Given I've got a very strong family history of endo, that's what it probably is, either that or my backwards lying uterus is touching the nerve, or I may have a fibroid or something. I've got to have a laparoscopy to check for endo later in the year. I've had the gyn in up to his elbows, lol, and he can feel lots of nodules. So he's pretty sure I've got endo, just a matter of sorting out whether its made it through the pelvis and onto the sciatic nerve. They can diathermy it, and get rid of it, and it may or may not come back. He thinks the huge hormonal disruption of weight loss may be why I've gotten it now rather than younger, when both my sisters (who arent heavy) have had it all along. I did have horrid periods before I had babies, but having a baby often fixes endo. And of course, once I started pushing out babies, I got fat.

Its frustrating coz its always there, you know. Its not strong enough that I need to rely on medication or anything like that, its just there, and when I overstep the mark by running too many days in a row or doing too many longer runs in a week it gets really sore which has prevented me doing the half.

Oh boy that sounds annoying! I hope they can figure out what is going on and treat you for it. I'm completely ignorant - if it is endo, whats the treatment?

Well if its there when they go in they'll blast it away - they diathermy it and apparently they can still do that if its on the nerve as well. They sometimes have to dissect it out.

It may not return, he thinks it may have gotten out of control as a result of the hormonal upheaval of weight loss and that I might be more stable now, and often it takes aaaaaages to come back after a lap. My sister has gotten 5 trouble free years after her last one. Given that I'm almost 41 and dont want any more babies, I'd probably have to consider a hysterectomy and removal of the ovaries if it were problematic but that's highly highly unlikely. If it were to keep regrowing, its almost certain I could control it by just being on the pill. That'd be funny since I had my tubes tied, lol.

Guess what? I bought my first ever serious running tights today! Some groovy Adidas ones. I'm a cheapskate, I've made do with cheapo Target or Kmart lycra pants and leggings, I'm sick of the blasted things falling down (still got 2 pairs of size 16's and I'm a 12, lol). These are nice climacool ones, with the pocket for a gel. One sale, I really struggle to pay the money for these things. The physio keeps telling me to buy skins and I simply CANNOT pay $139 for a tiny piece of lycra.

So I better break the 1 hour for my 10k on Sunday, with these fancy dacks and all.

Ahh thanks for explaining...sounds like a bit of a pain in the ass though!

And as for the running dacks (haha such and Aussie thing to call them), I've sworn by nike until now, I've had two different styles and have liked them both. I've tried on the Skins and they FEEL great on (and look pretty swish too). But like you the $140 price tag is a hard pill to swallow. I may just bite the bullet now though, cos its bloody cold where I am when I get out at 4:30-5pmish for my runs, and I've only got 3/4 ones now. I also need a pair of running gloves for my icicle fingers, I know I can pick them up for $20 from the local running store, but getting there is proving a bit difficult right now.

I'm thinking about asking husband for an ipod nano and nike + system for my birthday (but I have to convince him that I need another, 3rd ipod somehow....).

How did the 10km run go Jacqui?

Gonna try and see if the link to the photos works for you. I dont want to actually buy the photos, download them and post, lol.

http://www.supersportimages.com/products/showbib.php?xs=474&s1=1264

As you can see, typical Melbourne, it pissed down the whole run, but it was a good run, Melbourne is so beautiful, very scenic running round the botanic gardens, up through Jolimont past the MCG and through East Melbourne, lovely, old and leafy.

Anyway, the weather is my excuse for my beeeeeyoutiful hair. I am rarely seen without benefit of the miraculous bioionic straightener!

You know, I've never seen a pic of me running where I actually look like I'm running, lol. I promise I was!

You totally look like you are running! And great time!

Theres a big 10km run here in September I am hoping to do (I've dealt with the fact that the City to Surf in Sydney is probably too close (August 10) and a little too far at 14km for me to do yet). I ran the 10km in 77 minutes last year, it was the first time I'd ever run 10km. Hoping to train enough to get close to or under 60 minutes.