Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Support Group @ Johns Creek

I went to a new support group at Johns creek just for us Lap Band Folks. What a nice bunch of people.

I found out about it on obesity help.com and was tickled to talk to others who have had "My" procedure....and My issues...in person....

Meets 4th Tuesday of the month @ 7 at johns creek hospital.

They are planning a tag sale of plus size clothes and other events...

Sounds like fun!!!

Wish

aka

Chrissi

Chrissi,

I was so excited when I read your post. I wanted to find a support group just to go and listen in on. I am trying to decide between the band and the bypass, and so far I really am leaning toward the band. I saw that you used Dr. Macik. That is who I want to use as well. How was your experience? Did he have a good bedside manner? Have you had any problems? Was there money due before the surgeryfor your after care? Sorry for all the questions, I just am so excited about the band. thanks

:-)

I'm happy with my procedure. Dr Macik has an interesting personality...a bit dry. but I trust his skill completely. His staff members are great. I had my actual surgery at north fulton hospital but found the support group there geared more toward bypass. The staff at north fulton was nice as well. I paid my $200 copay at my pre-op visit and about 200 or 250 (i forget) at the first visit @ dr m's office as an administrative fee for paperwork for insurance stuff. Well worth it considering my insurance only allowed and gave him $1300 for my actual procedure. The hospital got the bulk of the money from insurance. Not easy but not terribly painful. Well worth the 30 pounds in 12 weeks and loosing!!!!

:thumbup:Congratulations on the 30lb loss! That's great! My sister in law is seeing Dr. Daly (dr. maciks partner) and she is having the gastric bypass done. She said that she has to pay $2500.00 for a year of after care.

I just don't think I want to alter my anatomy permantley like that, and I don't have $2500.00 laying around. And so far everyone I have talked to has said that the lap band was the best thing they ever did. Thank you so much for answering my questions. Maybe we can keep in touch, it's always nice to have someone local who's gone through this procedure.

I also go to the support group at John's Creek hosp and have had 2 meetings pre and 1 post. The group was very informative before surgery and had learn something new every time.

Will not be able to make the meeting this month since going out of town for Thanksgiving. Have lost 27 lbs since surgery 9/26 and due for 1st fill 11/17. Can't wait for friends and family to see me.

Any suggestions on how to handle the ? and the food push that everyone gets on Turkey Day?

Redsmom,

I plan on handling my family (who hasn't seen me for 80 lbs now) by being the hostess and social director, giving them tips on nutrition and exercise (if they ask) and generally allowing them to oooh and aaaah over me..... they will inevitably notice your not eating much but jeez, ya just lost some weight, ya'd think they'd know that's how ya did it by cutting down... if ya want 'em to know ya had help with the band tell 'em if not...don't it's your gig...play it like ya want to!

ya can always hang out and play with the kids...

I miss Rita!!!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Safe Journey

Chrissi

:smile2:Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to tell anyone other than my other half and daughter. My other half decided to tell his mom so I'm sure that everyone knows. Take care, Happy Thanksgiving and can't wait until December's meeting.

I missed the last meeting (the first one I have missed since starting my new journey) and I missed seeing everyone and hearing their success stories. Does anyone know if we are going to have our regular meeting in November since it is Thanksgiving week? I still plan to attend but don't want to make the 40 mile drive if we are not meeting. If we don't have a meeting, I wish everyone a safe and Happy THanksgiving.

Hi Warren,

I missed last month for the first time too! I wonder what they did without us!!!

I called the hospital and they indicated we are on for this month...see ya there:thumbup:

Take care

Chrissi

Chrissy,

You know it had to be boring without us (lol). Thanks for checking with the hospital, I didn't even think about that since Rita was gone. They will never find anyone to fit her shoes!!! Hope you are doing well. Have a great weekend and I will see you @ the next meeting. Thanks for responding to my post, it was my first and don't know who all is on this one but I will visit again soon.

Warren

I noticed that the original post w/date, time & location was in April and no posts since mid-November. Is this group still meeting? If so, are the meetings still at hospital on the 4th Tues of the mth @ 7pm? I would like to join a support group. My surgery was 8/19/08 and feel that being part of a group would be beneficial.

Yes, we still meet. I'm looking forward to it. We did not meet in December because it was 2 days before Christmas but the new year will get us all back on track.

See ya there!

Chrissi

We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting on the 27th. We have a great group and they have been a true inspiration and support for me throughout my journey. Best of luck to you and see you soon.

Warren

I'm looking forward to attending. That is Emory @ John's Creek correct? Does it matter whether I had my surgery at Emory or not? Are there any details/requirements I need to know about attending? Thanks for your replies.

Angilyn,

It is at Emory @ John's Creek. Come in thru the front doors of the Medical/Physician Building (to the left of the Hospital), take a left in the lobby and it is the first door on the right. The meeting starts at 7:00pm. It doesn't matter where you had your surgery. This is actually the only support group in the Atlanta area that is specifically for Lap-Band patients so it is great that everyone shares the same experiences. There are no requirements, just show up, enjoy and learn. How are you doing with you SUCCESS thus far? Look forward to meeting you.

Warren