Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for Mexican bandsters???

I will be leaving for surgery on Tuesday. I have a question about fills. Will the doctor fill me during surgery or is this something I should ask to do? I am SO scared of not losing! Also How long after surgery before I will need a fill? Thanks so much for everyones help!

This really depends on your doctor, so you should be asking him. For me, I had a smaller 4 cc band, which usually is not filled at surgery. The larger bands sometimes have a fill at surgery, but for many people the first fill is about 6 weeks after surgery.

You should be talking to your doctor more to see how he does things. Are you planning to go back to your surgeon for fills, or do you have someone set up locally for fills?

All I know is about the 4cc band.... you don't get filled until about 6 weeks, as your stoma and stitches need that time to heal properly. Which doctor are you going to? I have been pretty informed by my patient facilitator throughout my whole process so far, won't be banded until 5/27/08, but so looking forward to it. We have a local fill center 15-20 minutes from our home that we are planning on using and have heard really great things about them!

Thanks I have not been very well informed, I really have alot of questions that I would love answered. I am using Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez going through Belite. It seems like he will be doing SO many surgeries that day and I really would like a little time talk to him before going into surgery.

I really starting to get nerveous that I will not lose any weight. I am 26 5'4" and 245. I feel a little guilty for spending this money n myself and I really want it to work so my family can enjoy a healthier wife and mom.

Do not feel one bit guilty for what you are about to do. I had the same feeling. I am married with 2 little boys, all I do is work, clean and take care of my family, this has been my routine for 6 years. This is the first big thing I have ever done for myself and I am loving it! If you are getting a 4 cc band, I don't think it will be filled. You will lose weight, all I can say is....don't rush your fills! I have replied and had a few threads of my own, you can read about my fill stories. 2nd fill has been so hard on me and I waited an entire 2 months in between fills! My weight loss is slower than others, I have lost 23 lbs in 4 months. I only have about 50 to lose so I feel I am doing well. The slower you lose the healthier it is and the higher the chances for success towards your ultimate goal. One big piece of advice....as long as you eat solid food (meat, poultry and veggies) and get your fills, you will lose weight, there is no way that you can't win if you follow that advice. I was so anxious to see results and i am the most impatient person ever, I want it and I want it now is my motto! Now that 4 months have passed, I realize how fast it has gone and how well the band has worked for me. Get through your surgery, take it easy and heal, then get your first fill and you will be on your way to successful weight loss. One step at a time! Good luck to you.

I was banded by Dr. Rod back in Oct. He's great. You should have gotten a LOT more info and attention by now. I didn't use belite, but you should ask lots more questions. He does not fill you at surgery. Also, you will have to wait 6 weeks before your first fill. When I was there, you won't get a LOT of time before to talk. Just a little. You can talk to everyone else though. Good luck, if you have any more questions, I'll help if I can.

Thanks guys, I will say I am dissapointed in Belite, I did give them the benifit of the doubt, but it seems like after they received my deposit they quit corresponding. I do have many more questions, but I kinda feel stuck now.

Did you go back to Dr. Rod for your fills?

I went to TJ, MX and was banded by Dr. Huacuz. He was great. I did my research before I got the band so I knew what I was getting into. Dr. H and the patient facilitator (Melissa) were very informative and .wonderful! I was there with another woman and Dr. H took time with both of us together and alone to answer all our questions. He wanted us to feel completely comfortable and informed about what was about to happen. I'd say he probably spent about an hour with me and then I saw his psychologist, she was great also. She probably spent an hour with me as well and made sure that my expectations were correct. If you are still not comfortable with the whole process the only thing I can suggest is calling the doctor directly. Please do your own research on this as well so you know what you can expect.

Do not feel one bit guilty for what you are about to do. I had the same feeling. I am married with 2 little boys, all I do is work, clean and take care of my family, this has been my routine for 6 years. This is the first big thing I have ever done for myself and I am loving it! If you are getting a 4 cc band, I don't think it will be filled. You will lose weight, all I can say is....don't rush your fills! I have replied and had a few threads of my own, you can read about my fill stories. 2nd fill has been so hard on me and I waited an entire 2 months in between fills! My weight loss is slower than others, I have lost 23 lbs in 4 months. I only have about 50 to lose so I feel I am doing well. The slower you lose the healthier it is and the higher the chances for success towards your ultimate goal. One big piece of advice....as long as you eat solid food (meat, poultry and veggies) and get your fills, you will lose weight, there is no way that you can't win if you follow that advice. I was so anxious to see results and i am the most impatient person ever, I want it and I want it now is my motto! Now that 4 months have passed, I realize how fast it has gone and how well the band has worked for me. Get through your surgery, take it easy and heal, then get your first fill and you will be on your way to successful weight loss. One step at a time! Good luck to you.

Great advice. You just need to follow the band rules on how to eat and continue getting your fills until you get to the sweet spot.

This really depends on your doctor, so you should be asking him. For me, I had a smaller 4 cc band, which usually is not filled at surgery. The larger bands sometimes have a fill at surgery, but for many people the first fill is about 6 weeks after surgery.

You should be talking to your doctor more to see how he does things. Are you planning to go back to your surgeon for fills, or do you have someone set up locally for fills?

Snowbird,

On another topic...I'm impressed with your weight loss. I'd love to hear how you manage you band? For instance what do you typically eat in a day? Are you exercising? Are you hungry? Etc.

There are lots of Doctors to choose from in Mexico that do fills. If you do not feel your getting good service then you might want to change. Your going to have this band for a long time or forever so you want a doctor that you feel a connection with and trust if any problems arise. If your interested in getting advice from others just send a message to individuals that have other doctors from Mexico. We are all honest if we didn't like them or love them. I totally trust my Dr. and have found patients that did not like their Doctor here in the US and now go to him in Mexico because he treats them so much better and of course is a lot less expensive. Thank goodness we have sites like this to help with support........AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

There are more and more doctors here that are doing fills for patients of doctors from Mexico. You patient coordinator will help you find a fill doctor. You will lose weight at first from the liquid diet and mushies, so don't worry! You will do great!!!:ohmy:

Hi Dont be nervous, i dont think the dr will fill you during surgery becasue when it is put on your will have to wait about 6 weeks for your first fill because of "adema" like swelling from surgery where the band is placed inside, you be FINE cause they put you on a STRICT DIET and you will definately not be hungry and feel real full so dont worry, good luck!

Hi I Had My Surgery In Tijuana By Dr. Huacuz And I Have A 10cc Ban I Fot My First Fill The Day After Surgery.. Ha Said Some People Get Discouraged Because They Dont See Any Weight Loss The First Few Weeks And Thats Why He Does The Fill The Day After . I Have Had No Problem And Have Lost 19lb.

Good Luck And Im Sure Everything Will Come Out Great ..