Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded March 13th

I am now 24 hrs post op. Not feeling too bad. Just had 8 oz of Protein drink. I got most of it in and started feeling some pain so I don't know yet if that is the sign that I am full or not.

I'm not having a whole lot of pain. The dr. also had to repair a hiatal hernia which was a little bit of a surprise. I had a bit of trouble with my oxygen levels and nausea but otherwise everything went ok.

I've already taken a shower today and am up moving around so I have to say the surgery was not too bad overall.

I was scared before hand that I was making the wrong decision but I'm glad I did it. I KNOW I WILL SUCCEED:w00t:

Good luck to everyone!

Hi there, congrats that everything is going good. How have the fills been? What are those like? Do you feel any pain when they are done? And how do you feel afterwards? My surgery date is June 6th, I'm a little nervous, but excited at the same time. Are there any advise for before preparations I should worry about? I've heard people have been on a nutritius diet for before surgery, any thing I should be concerned with?

Thanks

aliciarose

I had my first fill 5 weeks post op and it was not bad. All I felt was pressure really...no pain at all. Unfortunately, I have not had any restriction and we have been out of our for the last month due to storm damage and we have been having to eat out every meal. Not a good thing for a very new banded person.

I did go see the nutritionist last week and even though I had only lost 4 lbs since my fill, she weighed me on a special scale that showed I had actually lost 40 lbs. of fat and gained 9 lbs. of muscle from the previous weighing which was a month prior.

I go this Thursday for my second fill so hopefully I will get some restriction and be back in my house with my exercise equipment and no more having to eat out.

One good thing out of all this drama with the house repairs is I know I can go out to eat and "look" like a normal person. I can make choices and eat so that no one has to know I have had surgery. I was very worried about that since I really wasn't telling everyone I know.

Good luck with your surgery. I did have some pain after but not a whole lot. I couldn't do the Protein drinks for about 2 weeks but my surgeon said not worry about it. Anyhow, alot of people say it took them a while to be able to sleep on their sides but I was doing it before the week was out.

One piece of advice...actually two...definitely have a heating pad handy (mine was my best friend) and if you have Sonic near you make sure you get some of their ice. The sell it by the bag and it is very easy to chew. It really helped to get fluids in and satisfy the urge to chew at the same time.

Good luck and keep me posted!

To CarlaG

Thanks for all the great info and advice. It's really nice to hear from someone that had surgery and to be able to go into lots of info. it really gives me a good picture of what I'm about to go into. Do you have any refrets? I too am not telling anyone from work. Just my husband and one sister for support. Do you think you"ll ever tell if you loose lots of weight?

thanks and good luck

aliciarose

AliciaRose,

Everyone at my work knows. I wasn't going to tell anyone and then I thought...what the heck...its nothing to be embarrassed about. I do worry about failure but it really is not their business so if you choose not to tell that is perfectly ok.

I mostly talked about it because several other people are considering it and my boss actually had gastric bypass.

I work as a 911 dispatcher and we are very sedentary so the majority of us are overweight. We are also a pretty tight knit community so everybody knows everybodies business anyhow :thumbup:

I do not have any regrets at all. Over the last month we have been living in a hotel and eating out every meal because of storm damage. It is a little more complicated making choices, but I was very happy to see that I could eat out and look like a normal person.

I have only had trouble a couple of times and that was because I waited too long to eat and didn't chew well enough.

I saw my surgeon yesterday for my second fill and I have only lost two lbs. over the last month but we was very pleased with that since we were eating out 24/7. Now with my new fill and we are back home I should be making progress again.

Just remember...this is a very personal and long journey. Do you think you will be able to keep it a secret forever or are you waiting to see if you will be successful? Either way you have to do what is right for you and what will make your journey easier and less stressful.

Good luck!

Hello Carla G,

I was banded on Mar 19th 08. I just had my fourth fill last Wed and I think I have finally reached that so called sweet spot. It's funny many ol banders have said that when you reach the sweet spot you will know.... and you know what " I did". You too will know soon.

Good Luck in your weight lose,

Great North

Hi CarlaG

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I'm so glad that things are working out for you. I hear stories about people that loose weight, look great and then they lose friends, I guess jealousy? or they think people are changed person, (maybe on the outside huh? Hopeyou don't lose friends.

I think I don't want to tell anyone at work for the mere fact that I'm worried I might not be successful. However, if this is successful I think I will then tell them. Why not? right? See, I am also holding back because, two years ago I was diagnosed with Diabetes II and having this surgery is a tool for me to maybe put my diabetes in remission. I have heard great things about it. So the main reason for this surgery first of all is to help me get my health back. And of course lose weight. If I do lose lots of weight and people start asking I will not initially tell them, but willlater on.

Sounds to me like you didn't lose lots of weight in a 2 month period but looks like things will begin to happen for you. Good luck. I appreciate any advice for me. My date is June 6th. Did you have to stay overnight?

Aliciarose

Alicia,

The "sweet spot" is after when you recieve your fill you are able to eat a small amount of food and feel satisfied. I was losing weight slow and steady after each fill but now the pounds are fading away....it took me till my fourth fill to feel this way.

Good lucy on your surgery and keep us up to date,

Great North

Aliciarose,

Don't go by my ticker about the weight loss. I can't figure out how to change it.

I have lost 27 lbs. since the surgery and that was after a month of eating out 24/7 due to the damage to our house and living in a hotel so I am pretty satisfied with that.

For some reason I am really not focusing on the pounds gone. I am concentrating on the exercise, trying to eat right and going by how my clothes feel.

People at work keep asking how much have lost and I can honestly say I don't even weigh myself. I'm trying very hard to not be obsessed by it. I know the whole point was to lose weight, but if I can feel it and I have people calling me the incredible shrinking woman than I guess it is working.

Also, don't rationalize having the surgery. I know it will help your diabetes, but even if you didn't have that issue, the weight loss will help you be a happier you. That is very important also. You shouldn't feel that you have to have an excuse. You have to do what is best for you.

I know I initially said I felt like a failure, but this really is not the easy way out and it takes a lot of commitment so if you are successful, how can you be a failure? I don't think that is possible.

All I am saying is please be confident in your decision, be happy and be proud that you are on your way to getting your life under control.