Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

clear liquid phase advice needed

I am soon to be Banded, and the post-op diet is very strict: three weeks of Clear liquids (this includes the surgery week) then one week on full liquids, then two weeks on pureed foods, and finally starting soft foods.

I am afraid of not getting enough Protein during the clear liquid phase. I have beeen trying to find supplements that will mix in smooth and clear. I have tried GNC liquid Protein(punch flavor) mixed with Crystal-lite, and it's very good, but it is no longer see-through when I mix in a third of the serving size.

Does anyone know of any Protein supplements that will get me through this clear liquid stage? I am presently very sensitive to odd textures, so it needs to mix smooth. Does anyone know about powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury?? They now have an unflavored version. I'd like input /reccomendations before I buy.

And finally...Can any of you banded by very experienced doctors let me know what your post-op diet was...My sergeon has banded only about 20 patients, so I'm thinking he is still set on RNY diet guidelines...I would very much like to educate him, to save myself from starvation, and to help his future band patients.

Thanks so much for letting me go on, and on, and on...

Sheryl

my whole diet is posted onto my website under the links section. feel free to have a look :rolleyes:

Originally posted by knitchique

Can any of you banded by very experienced doctors let me know what your post-op diet was...My sergeon has banded only about 20 patients, so I'm thinking he is still set on RNY diet guidelines...I would very much like to educate him, to save myself from starvation, and to help his future band patients.

Sheryl,

My doctor has done 600+ bands. His post-op instructions are 2 weeks of liquids, including thin cream of wheat, blended Soups, Protein drinks, fat free/sugar free pudding, etc. Then on to 2 weeks of mushy foods. I had things like tuna salad, refried Beans (lots of those..yum), scrambled eggs w/ cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, cream of wheat or oatmeal, Soups.< /p>

Hope that helps!

~Tonia

Hi Sheryl,

My surgeon's partner's experience dates back to the FDA trials, so they've been around this for a very long time. I was told my doctor's done "hundreds and hundreds" of bands.

The materials given to me by the nutritionist were clearly based on an RNY diet, but were changed for bandsters. The original diet was pretty much what you detailed. My version was Clear Liquids for 2-3 days postop, then full liquids for up to another week. Then 3-4 weeks of mushy foods, with permission to incorporate solids after the 21st day as I felt able. (And I definitely felt able. On day 24 now I'm eating whatever I want, but chewing very carefully.)

Their primary advice was to take it slow. Any discomfort and I was to take it a step back. But we're not retraining our digestive systems so it's definitely a different thing than RNY.

Leo, Tonia, and Alexandra,

Thank you so much for your time, comments, and help. I really do appreciate it. I am going to bring all the info on "not so severe" diet requirements with me, but it is a delicate thing isn't it...telling your doctor that they're wrong...well maybe "not up to date" is a bit more appropriate.

Again, thanks for your time!!

Sheryl