Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT: My CA job-hunting trip

Well gang, I'm back from California and the interviews went well, although one of them was bizarre, when I interviewed with the president of the company and had to sell myself when he was set against me because I didn't have industry experience. Everyone else that I talked with had great feedback though, so maybe they'll convince him (I don't think they would have paid to fly me out unless they'd already done that, more or less). I'm supposed to hear on that job (in LA) by end of day today.

In San Diego, I did meet with the first director who wanted to hire me, but his boss is insisting on getting someone with a certification I don't have, so we were both disappointed. However, they also had me interview with 2 other managers - one I expected, the other was a surprise. As it turned out, the one that I had been scheduled with told me right away I was better suited for the other manager, and she seemed pretty positive about me, so they had me come back an hour later to interview with her director. He's one of those "cheshire cat" types that don't say much or give any indication of what he's thinking, so I have no idea what he thought. The recruiter there knows the timeline is tight because of the job in LA, so hopefully they'll get back to me today too.

In any case, I should know something by the end of the week. I lined up a few apartments I liked so we'll see what happens!

It is LOVELY out there this time of year! :-)

Pizzi, welcome back. I'm glad you had a good trip. Sounds like you've got a good chance at an offer. Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

*fingers crossed*

Have you heard anything yet?

I feel for you - interviewing for a new job(s) is so hard!

Tell us more about your trip!

Did you have free time to do anything cool?

Well, no offers yet as of this morning (although it's just before 8am there right now). I did get notes from both recruiters that the feedback was really good but no decisions yet. I'm really pulling for San Diego (actually, Del Mar which is northern SD County), but I'd be pretty happy with El Segundo/LA too.

Most of my time was taken up with the interviews (4 hours each - ouch!) and driving around to see potential apartments, but I did also have time most mornings to get Breakfast with a nice view and wander by the shore. I also got to 2 missions (I have a thing for the CA missions) - San Luis Rey and Capistrano. I even had a bit of a powerful experience at San Luis Rey, which floored me a bit. I walked into the sanctuary, and between the gorgeous old church and the lovely music they were piping in, I got all choked up and spent a few minutes soaking it all in. For a staunch agnostic, it was a rather amazing experience. Whatever/whomever it is, I definitely felt it and it was a good way to start the day.

I was amazed how "at home" I felt in Southern CA. I really didn't feel out of place, and in fact, it felt good. Maybe I found the place where I'll fit in. From what I saw, the majority of people aren't "from" CA originally, so maybe that's why!

So, now I wait. I can't do much more packing at my house without it getting in the way of everyday life, so I'll just have to focus on my current work and other parts of life until things kick into gear again. It's a good lesson in patience for me!

Good luck Pizzicato! Sounds like your mission experience is confirming how "at home" you feel in CA!!

Still no word as of last night, but I'll do my best to be patient till hey do call. I had my annual review yesterday and it went really well, but I felt weird talking about goals for the coming year, knowing what's in the works. I love my current job and boss, so it's certainly not about getting away from it, so I felt some pangs about leaving.

Then I looked at some online photos of San Diego and got excited again. Talk about mixed feelings!

I know it's all for good reasons, and I can always return in a couple years once I've gotten it out of my system.

Pizzi,

Good luck!!! It all sounds good, and I know you will be hearing something positive very soon. In the meantime, I am sending some good Karma your way.

Fondly,

Frangi

misc14.gif

Crazy Ates March Exercise Challenge

10/30 Exercise Sessions

(6 Cardio, 2 Core Strength & flexibility, 2 Weight training)

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

Thanks! One of the recruiters emailed today that the hiring manager in SD really thought i was great but wants to interview a few more before deciding (she just started interviewing for the opening). They're trying to push a decision, but I have a feeling they won't move unless I get an offer on the other one.

I need to distract myself a bit... hmm... I DO have a job.... ;-)

Update - I did get turned down for the job in LA (they decided they had to have someone with industry experience - in other words, the president said no).

Thing is, I didn't have a good feeling about the job and was leaning towards San Diego. I just need to keep looking and pulling for that job in San Diego and hope for the best. Hopefully the recruiters there weren't trying to let me down easy and I still have a shot there.

I'll just keep hoping...

Pizzi, just remember that if things don't work out with these jobs, its because there is something better just around the corner. I still hope San Diego comes through for you, but if its not meant to be then there must be something really wonderful in store for you.

We're pulling for you.

Let us know when you hear about SD and keep looking to see what else is out there!!