Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico surgery, US refills?

:) Has anyone in OR. had surgery in Mexico? Did you have trouble finding anyone to do your fills? My insurance won't pay for it and I can't afford to self pay $20,000 + , so am looking into going to Mexico.

Would you recomend this, and who did yours?

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks,

Shelley:)

Hi Shelley:

I live in Oregon, and was banded 4 months ago, in Tijuana, due to the cost of the surgery here in the states. I had my first fill in January, in Portland, and since then I have found two other Dr's who will do fills for Mexico bandsters.

I just had a friend who had the band done last week, here on the Oregon coast, and the cost was $12,000. It was day surgery, at the medical center, so she didn't have the huge hospital expense.

I would not hesitate to go back down to Mexico, I loved my Dr, and his whole team, and in fact my daughter has just had surgery by Dr. Ortiz also.

But by the time you factor in the plane fare and your fills, it might be cheaper to go here. My cost in Mexico (including tickets) was almost $11,000.

Do lots of research, and if you would like more info, you can PM me.

Sharon brings up a lot of good points. If you plan on going to Mexico, then you need to consider what your aftercare plan will be. Will you be returning to Mexico for fills? Then you'll need to budget for your planefare, hotel, food each time. If you plan on local aftercare, you need to confirm BEFORE being banding that the fill dr. you choose will actually accept you as a patient. Call the fill dr. direct, don't take anyone's word for it.

Please research everything you can get your hands on. The more you know the better. Avoid any unexpected nasty surprises. Best of luck to you.

A "search" will pull up tons of old threads and posts --full of information.

Best of luck to you!

I think Cirangle in San Francisco is down to under $13,000. He has a lot of experience, and in case of emergency, he is closer than Mexico and more US doctors will listen to him.

The travel costs will mount up quickly from there.

Thank you all for your quick responce. I am trying to do a lot of research on this subject. My insurance will pay for a gastric bypass but not the lap band. I am going to try and appeal it with them, but will see.

Sharbythesea, could you please share the info. about your friend that had it done on the Oregon Coast, that sounds pretty good too me. You can e-mail me directly with the info. if you would like.

Thanks again everyone.

Shelley

Shelly, my insurance pays for Gastric Bypass but not the Band. Since my BMI is under 40, I didn't bother with an appeal. So I'm going to TJ next month...this is a great place for research...put that search button to good use! Good Luck!

Shelley,

I had surgery with Dr. Lopez 6 weeks ago. I know a few people that weren't happy with on this board but my surgery went well and his patient coordinators are very nice. Evidently, he has changed much of his staff over the last few months and everyone is now like family. I get all my questions answered the same day, which I know was a big complaint before.

My mother is having surgery with him this month because of his seminar price. She saves, or I save $1000 if she has surgery in March. He has a coordinator in Portland Oregon that I worked with. She said she has a few fill doctors to choose from and they have different prices and offer different things. They set you up with a fill doc ahead of time so you don't have to hunt after.

You can get her number off the www.golapband.com web site. Her name is Anita.

My only warning about Tijuana is that many doctors lower prices and you do get what you pay for in some cases. Go with someone well known. As always, and I think most here would agree, avoid third party brokers for surgery.

Best wishes to you in your endevour.

Brad

Dr. Lopez Corvala

-44 pounds

6 weeks post op