Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Feel Physically After Lap Band Removal

Well, 2 weeks from today I am having it removed. I was told I just need new blood work and have to fast after midnite. The dr. also said the incisions might be a little bigger than when it was put in because they have to get the port out? Anyone have any additional info as to post removal? I guess Ill have to take off the rest of the week like I did when I had it put in. What did your stomach feel like after the band was removed. Any pains in the banded area:thumbup::biggrin: internally? How about the "runs" and swelling? Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Linda

Hi Linda, I haven't had my band removed but, I wanted to wish you the best with your surgery. There are threads within LBT that are related to this topic. Take a peek around and I'm sure you'll find some of the answers you're looking for.

When I had my band removed 6 months ago, the surgeon made 4 small incisions into my abdomin. I was in the OR for approx 2hr for the removal because I had some erotion damage that had to be repaired with my removal. As far as post-op pain, it was VERY minimal. Tylenol worked great for me :biggrin2: The worse part was the swelling...I looked about 7 months pregnant for about 3 weeks!! But it did go down. Just alittle side note, my reflux was totally gone 72 hours post-op!! I did manage to still have some restriction for about 1 month post removal :thumbup:, but slowly over time I was able to consume more food then I was used to having been banded for over 3 1/2 years :crying:

Hello...had mine removed in October. I think I was in the OR for about an hour, if even that....and the surgeon used the same laparoscopic incisions he did as when he put the band in. I took a week off work afterward, and I just felt sore, a little like I'd been beaten up in the abdomen for a few days. I didn't have the bad swelling, however. I didn't even really need the pain medication that the surgeon had given me a prescription for, only a couple of the pills, and I think the rest of the time I just used Tylenol and rested.

No biggie. Good luck.

Guest wagirls12

I had mine removed On Dec 31st. I had minimal pain and swelling. I have had some pain from scar tissue on the port incision, but nothing major. Much less pain than the surgery to get the band. You will be fine, and happier when its done.

Sounds good...I go for preadmit testing tomorrow...Im having it taken out on Tues. the 26th. For some reason Im not half as nervous as I was when I went in to have it put in. Thats strange. Thanks for all your responses!

I had it removed yesterday, and they put me out like a light..Only thing, when I awoke my blood pressure was 90 over 56. Quite low....They didnt have me walk around; just sit up in a chair. When I got home the fun started! I didnt get to speak with the dr after surgery. I am so swollen; especially in the port area...feels like a crator compared to the swelling around it. I have been walking around to get the gas out...but doesnt seem to be happening...This morning I felt pain in every inch of my body...I hope this improves. I am taking percoset..but only once a day...Throat hurts probably from the endoscopy tube. My left thigh feels numb. I did the ice thing...now Im sitting here with a heating pad...Geez, I hope I feel better soon!:smile2::ohmy:

It sounds like everyone had a great removal experience, I feel even more worried now because its the exact opposite for me. I had my band removed on 09/12/11 and today is 09/21/11 and I am still is severe pain, I am still totally swollen, I have twice as many incisions to get it out than I had to get it in, including two large sloppy incisions that are on my left side that have 14 staples in them combined. That area on my left side became so painful and swollen after surgery that I had to go to the emergency room, there they said "OH my! Well, its bleeding under the skin" they proceeded to do NOTHING about it even as they marked it each time they came into the room to keep record of how much larger it was getting while I was sitting in the ER. Even the slightest cough or exertion feels like something is coming through my left abdominal wall. I was totally blown off by my surgeon who asked me "Hey, what you wan do? You want to stay here in hospital or go home?" Isn't this something the Surgeon/doctor should decide???? God I wish that I had never gotten this ridiculous thing. Now I am all torn apart and in pain and nobody seems to care or try to help.

I'm having my lapband out in5 days, I cannot wait; I've been ill with bloating and nausea for the last 2 1/2 months. Can't go out with friends, just feel awful. I've had the

band for exactly 2 years. Never lost weight. Maybe it wasn't ever placed correctly, but it has to GO!!!

God aweful and still do. Can't beg or bribe a doctor to find what's wrong... I went from 267 post removal to 132 and its hell my friends this is hell... my belly is always freezing cold and the pain is unbearable. I have other problems with health to address but no one will even address one out of many and its a sad life not moving and waiting just to die eventually or for a doctor to ride in and help you all a sudden over helping themselves. I fear god and hell and I have done right as far as I knew to do to everyone but my reward is pain and theirs is money and clear consciounce because apparently one life isn't worth as much as I previously thought to them. Nor the quality of that life. So much for not caring for the body but the soul is unforgivable. I would of rather an offense that is an offense easily forgiven like a stabbing or gunshot or beating or throwing me in prison without this pain and pure hell of dying outside the gates of supposedly one of the best collection of genius minds in medicine around. So if it was misery you should know many are miserable with you. Bye guys. Godbless.

Hello everyone! Thank you for sharing your stories! I am just curious as to why you all got the band out? I am considering it too because I have developed horrible conditions post surgery and I wanted to know if you all got it out due to similar reasons.

Just curious :)

And you're all super brave for going back under the knife...thinking about it just makes me nauseous.

Hey newbie.. I'm trying to see if I can get insurance to get mine out. I was cash pay, so am not sure they'll approve it. If not, I will be saving for a long time to try and pay cash to get it out. Anywho... I just hate it! I haven't lost weight with it. I can't eat healthy foods because Protein and veggies, even some fruits will get stuck and I puke it all back up. I feel like I can eat all the junk food or chips/crackers I want because it goes down easily, but try and add REAL food, forget it. My hubby tries to cook low carb for me and I'm sitting there with a plate full of food and hungry but can't take another bite of meat without the pain of having it stuck and tossing it back up again.

I did get a total unfill when I got pregnant in 2009 and it hasn't really made things any better. Just tired of not feeling normal. I want my body back.

I had my band removed on January 16. It is now February 2 and I'm still having pain where my port was. If I bend over or turn a certain way I feel like something pops under the incision and causes severe pain. I also feel like I have a burning sensation under one of the middle scars. I'm just wondering how long I'm going to feel this way. I was off work for 5 days but I'm back to work and its very hard to work with the pain. If anyone has experienced this and can share some insight with me I would be very grateful.

I have an appt tomorrow morning with surgeon and hope he will agree to remove it. I wasn't the best at following a diet after 2 years. I started having problems last fall. Reflux first but the past few weeks I have abdominal pain and bloating. Both an endoscopy (Oct '12) and CT scan of abdomen & pelvis both showed lap band in place. I just feel like it is time to go. I certainly don't want to have to have emergency surgery! Anyone know if an ultrasound of abdomen would be better than the scope? I wouldn't think so but wondering about it. Don't know what he will say is the next step.

Will post tomorrow after appt.

I have an appt tomorrow morning with surgeon and hope he will agree to remove it. I wasn't the best at following a diet after 2 years. I started having problems last fall. Reflux first but the past few weeks I have abdominal pain and bloating. Both an endoscopy (Oct '12) and CT scan of abdomen & pelvis both showed lap band in place. I just feel like it is time to go. I certainly don't want to have to have emergency surgery! Anyone know if an ultrasound of abdomen would be better than the scope? I wouldn't think so but wondering about it. Don't know what he will say is the next step.

Will post tomorrow after appt.

Hi Robbiegirl,

I too experienced extreme abdominal pain and bloating three months after my surgery. It use to be once and a while but not it's almost every month. I had two endoscopies and a colonoscopy in the past two years-but my lapband and everything inside looks great. My doctor things it's sever IBS (whoops, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and Thyroid Disease two years after my surgery too :/ ) it could be IBS...who knows! I'm trying to stay stress-free/gluten and grain free.

I hope you find out what's wrong. If my pain does not go away in the near future I too will consider getting my band off, but right now I'm just too nervous to get it off.

Good luck!!

Coley