Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port replacement issues

I've had my plastic surgery scheduled for a month or so now, with a date of 2/15 for a lower body lift, lap band port replacement to the low profile port, breast lift with replacement of my existing implants, and medial thigh lift. Everything is set and paid for. I have the dogs scheduled to be boarded for a few days, hubby has made arrangements at work to be home, I have a lift chair on order, etc.

Weeks ago, when I first set the surgery, I asked about the port, because I knew there would be an additional charge for the port itself. But, I didn't get an answer at that time. So, I sent another letter yesterday asking about the port. Well, lo and behold, I get a phone call from the plastic surgeon's office today to let me know that they cannot get the port. Apparently, Allergan will only sell the port to a bariatric facility. So, I cannot get the port replacement at the same time as the plastic surgery. And my port is *very* obvious, even in clothes.

So, the plastic surgeon called me back later this afternoon, and said that another option is to simply move the port to another, less obvious location, and place it under the facia (sp?), so that it's less obvious. He said this would reduce the risk of infection as well, because whoever does a port replacement, bariatric doc or plastic surgeon, you are breaking a sterile barrier, and run a risk of introducing bacteria to the lap band.

So, now I'm so confused. My options are:

a. Get the port replaced by my bariatric doc. Wait 3-4 weeks, and proceed with plastic surgery as planned. This will cost me about $1900 more than the original planned combined surgery with the plastic surgeon, and will mean another recovery (no exercise!) period, and I'll have to re-adjust all my plans that are already in place.

b. Switch to another plastic surgeon, who has privileges at the same hospital as my bariatric doc, so that (hopefully) my bariatric doc can do the port switch during the plastic surgery. Cost will be close to the amount I'd planned with the other surgeon, but I'll still have to rearrange all my existing plans. Also, this doc will not do the medial thigh lift along with the other procedures (I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though). So, still, another surgery.

c. Stick with all my existing plans, and just have the port moved, and hope it doesn't look like a small tumor (as it does now). But, there's a little niggly thought at the back of my head that wonders whether he's well experienced with wls patients, if he didn't even know that he wouldn't be able to get a port. If I hadn't asked the question *twice* it might have been two days before surgery before I found out that it couldn't be done.

BTW, the bariatric doc says that it's really not a good idea to do the port switch after plastic surgery, because for one thing it will mean a new scar. If I have the port switched before the other surgery, he'll go through the existing port scar, but that scar will move downward with the lower body lift.

Any thoughts or advice? (To be honest, it helps me to sort out my own thoughts just writing it down, but I still love to hear what others think!)

Tami

If it were me Tami, I'd go with option a). While it will mean 2 recovery periods, a big rearrangement of plans and a longer wait for the PS, you are getting the plastic surgeon you wanted (not some second choice who just happens to work at the right place) and a professional bariatric surgeon to sort out your port. While its possible that the replacement of your current port during plastic surgery might work and end up perfect - it also might not. How will you feel after the swelling goes down to realise that the ports still highly visible and you need the lower profile after all....? (just playing devils advocate here!).

Its a sucky situation to be in, and I'm so sorry that you are here! But I think you need to assess it in what is going to be best for YOU as a patient with those people as your surgeons.

Good luck with your decision!

Ok let me think......

Plan a) is a good one health wise and long term, but it does mean that all the arrangements that you have made so far are screwed up. And by nature I am impatient so that would jack me off.

Plan :biggrin: Have you seen a load of his before and afters? Do you like his results, and I think a quite important one.... does he use staples? I was very shocked that a COSMETIC surgeon used staples as they are most likely going to leave scars, and I havent heard on MMH of anyone else having them. The thigh lift thing is a bummer, but you dont know after a LBL what it will look like and it could be that the LBL will solve the problem. Is it impossible for these guys to be free on the origional date that you had planned?

Plan c) If it doesnt hide the port and he has stitched it under the fascia, it is going to make it more problematic in the future to reslove that issue, and I am still stuck on the staple thing. The way that my PS works is to do internal permenant stitching to hold the skin in place so that there is NO tension on the actual scar site, to say that he might have to do stapling because of the tension makes me a bit worried. May be that is your everything happens......

If I were you right now, I would go for plan :eek: But see loads of picutres and talk to the PS at length and then move heaven and earth to try to tie them both to the origional date!

Just my honest opinion hon

Nina x

This is an OLD post, her surgery date was 2/15/08... i wish it was from this year, i'd love to know what she did!!

Nurse Niki, first, thank you for answering my questions, i'll have to go back and see if there were more!

where was your port to begin with and where did you have it moved? did it show before, and does it show now?

I thought i was decided on what to do with mine, but i'm SO afraid it's going to stick WAY out there and i don't want to have to have it moved AFTER my PS!! my PS is going to be able to get rid of my port scar (or at least have it close to my TT scar, hiden under anything anyone else would ever see) and i don't want to end up with another scar AFTER having PS!

My PS moved my port during my TT and I am very happy with the results. Good luck on which ever decision you make!