Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February Exercise Challenge

Happy February Everyone!

Time for a new exercise challenge thread. This thread is open to anyone -- you don't have to be an August 07 bandster to join us.

Looking forward to seeing all of the regulars, plus many more new faces this month!

kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6100.gif Crazy Ates February Exercise Challengekaos-not-tagged-smiley-4829.gif

0/28 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

Banded 8/07/07 Dr. Miguel Zapata, Monterrey Mexico

Thanks for getting us going again Frangi. I started the month with an hour on the treadmill. I'm going to go for 20 cardio workouts this month and 8 weight training sessions. Yes, I'm finally going to get started on the weights. I checked out the mayo clinic link Frangi. Thanks so much. I know you are right about the importance of weight training. I've just been intimidated by the whole idea. With the class I'm taking and the info you provided, I see there is nothing to be afraid of. I can do a couple of simple workouts twice a week and still reap the benefits.

Besides tomorrow being Ground Hogs Day it is my 31st wedding anniversary. I find it hard to believe myself. I couldn't possibly be old enough to have been married that long!

Crazy Ates February Exercise Challenge

1/20 Cardio Sessions

0/8 Weight Sessions

Hi Mary1094,

Welcome! We're glad that you're joining us!

All you need to do is set an exercise goal for yourself that can be measured however you want, and your goal does not need to correspond to the number of days in the month. Some people count days, and some sessions.

I count sessions because I have been doing three types of workouts, cardio, weight training, and yoga -- so some days I do more than one workout. Last month I set a pretty ambitious goal for myself, but this month I am cutting back a little bit because I'll be traveling (and because February is a shorter month despite the fact that it is a leap year).

Each time you do a workout simply list the specific activity you did and the duration. If you look at some of the posts from our previous month's exercise challenges, you will see examples of how we do it.

We look forward to your participation!

With warm regards,

Frangi

kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6100.gif Crazy Ates February Exercise Challengekaos-not-tagged-smiley-4829.gif

0/28 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

Hi Becky,

We were posting at the same time I guess. I'm thrilled that you have decided to add some resistance training to your workout schedule, and I look forward to have a "cyber buddy" to weight train with!!! I like the way you have formatted your challenge too. I will do the same once I sit down and figure out my exact workout schedule for the month.

Absolutely nothing to be intimidated about with the weight training. Just start slowly and you'll be fine. Once you get a few workouts under your belt, you will be amazed at the effect weight training has on your cardio endurance as well. Back in the days when I was a heavy-duty hiker (which I hope I am moving toward once again), weight training was absolutely essential to my ability to do long treks.

Happy anniversary!!!

kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6100.gifCrazy Ates February Exercise Challengekaos-not-tagged-smiley-4829.gif

0/28 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

I did make my January challenge last night but barely. I had the worst headache of my life so I went home and went to bed. I didn't go to the gym but I did do the yoga video so I counted it. Alright this is going to be my final goal. That doesn't meant that it is going to be the last month that I will be doing exercise, but this is what I am hoping to maintain for life. I have gone to hours because that way if I miss a day I can make up for the next. So my goal is now 30 hours a month.

Great job to all of you who made your goal last month and to those who may not have made it, but are beginning to make the commitment to exercise in their life.

You guys are doing so well! I am proud of you and proud to be a part of this dynamic group!:smile:

I upped my goal last month and made it! So i am going to stay there this month and get in 18 days. I agree with Salsa, this is my lifetime plan. 4 -5 workout days a week is my forever goal. I am looking for 10 lbs this month so i may get in some extra sessions but the goal is 18.

Congratulations becky on 31 years! My hat is off to you. :eek:

Val

So for anyone who needs a little bit of motivation to put their goals down here, do I have a story for you. I have not been feeling well the last couple of days (stress from work I think) I had a terrible headache yesterday and started getting one today. However I went to the gym and I was only going to do 40 minutes but while I was walking I thought how I was going to put that on my challenge numbers and I really didn't want to have to deal with decimals (I teach science all day the last thing I want to do is deal with more numbers!) So I decided that it would be better for me and my math laziness to just do 2 more minutes so that I could keep it at whole numbers. Any way you can motivate yourself to get a few more minutes out of the gym is good for me.

Happy Anniversary Becky!

Welcome Mary

Frangi- Thanks for staring the thread! This keeps me WAAAAY motivated.

Well, I don't have any workouts in yet, but will later today. However, I couldn't wait to announce that I finally broke through my 21 day long plateau!!!

In retrospect, I am glad that it happened because unlike the past, I didn't allow myself to get sidetracked by it. I just kept plugging along with the faith that, sooner or later, the scale would start moving again. This plateau also helped me break my addiction to the scale and really made me understand that sometimes the number on the scale, as Becky said, just doesn't tell the whole story.

I love my band -- it gives me so much motivation and absolute confidence that with a little patience and perseverance, my efforts will pay off in the end.

Will check in later -- have a great day everyone!!!

kaos-animal-cat-smiley-6100.gifCrazy Ates February Exercise Challengekaos-not-tagged-smiley-4829.gif

0/28 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

Thanks Val

;)! And congrats on your weight loss as well!!!

I got my first February workout in -- one hour of cardio.

Have a great night everyone!

1/28 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

So my plateau is officially gone too. biggrin.gif I woke up this morning to find the scale down 2.5 pounds. That means that in less than 6 months I have lost 75 pounds. I can't even believe it. I was in such shock this morning that I must have gotten on and off that scale 20 times.:rolleyes: Also we went into the other town so that I could buy some bras today at the outlet mall and when we were there I went into Eddie Bauer's cause they were having a huge sale and I am not kidding you, I got into a size large, button down shirts to go with my SIZE 9 jeans.

I am not going to get to the gym today however...I am sick as a dog. My head is pounding, my nose stuffy, my throat raw and my ear hurts. Sounds like a good ol' cold to me!

Happy Super Bowl Sunday Everyone!

I hope your team wins, but only of course, if your team is the Patriots :)!

I just returned from a nice, 2 hour, sunset hike.

Have a great evening!

2/28 Exercise Sessions

weight.png

I’m so glad to see everyone breaking through those barriers. You are all taking this seriously. That’s why I like hanging out with this group. No whining, just doing what needs to be done to reach our goals. I think I might be on a plateau too, but I'm not getting on the scale again until I see my band doctor on 2/14. Until then I'm going to keep on track and keep getting leaner and stronger.

It’s been a busy weekend but I managed to get in an hour of cardio yesterday and today. Tomorrow will be my first session with the weights. I also bought a beginners yoga DVD. I'm going to check it out this week.

My class is starting to be interesting. We spend one day in the gym and the other in the classroom. Right now we’re looking at our individual nutritional status. I’ve been tracking everything I eat and actually looking at the nutritional value with a whole new perspective. Based on my activity level and current weight, if I consume about 1432 calories a day I will reach my goal by June 22, 2008. Of course, that is a computer programs estimate, but I found it very encouraging. It gives me another target to shoot for.

Hope everyone has a healthy and active week.

Crazy Ates February Exercise Challenge

3/20 Cardio Sessions

0/8 Weight Sessions

Hello all,

Managed to make it to my 7:30 am pilates class even after staying up to watch the big game and studying until 1 am. Sorry Patriots fans, but I am happy for the Giants! After Pilates I did HIIT on the eliptical. Can you say exhausted?:biggrin: I won't be doing that combination again! But I must say, I feel good about doing it. Made a mistake and got on the scale. It registered a 2.5 lb gain! :eek: I'm not going to stress. That's what I get for getting on today and not waiting until my regular weigh in day!:lol:

Have a good one all!

val