Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal Weight

My Nurse Coordinator explained how everyone getting the Lapband procedure should identify what their goal weights should be.

I have tried to determine what mine should be using the BMI index as a reference. I am a 46 yr old male 6' 1" inches tall. According to the BMI index I should be between 140 to 189 to fall in the normal range.

I was thinking 200 lbs would be an ideal goal for me but this puts me in the overweight catagory.

Does anyone feel the same way as I?

My wife and I both think that 189 is too light for my body style. I have a rather long thick trunk with shorter legs (28" inseam).

I am just curious on how the BMI chart was created and what criteria determines the weight ranges by height.

my husband is 6' so he is supposed to weigh even less than you. When he finished boot camp he weighed 198 and was skin and bones! He was so thin.

My husband is shaped a bit like you, a 30" inseam, legs that are pure muscle. He doesn't work out a lot like he should as a military man, but anything under 190 would not look to great on him. So him being overweight and being able to count each rib and his tailbone sticking out was quite enough.

He looks great even at 210-220, higher than that his neck gets bigger and bigger! He is 260 now and a bit chubby, but still no gut.

Now for me, I am 5'5" and supposed to weigh anywhere from 105-145. I am coming closer to that goal and don't imagine I will be happy at 145. I think I will still be a bit chubby there. Different body types look different I guess. I'm an hourglass shape.

Use youe BMI as an indicator versus totally looking at pounds. Also fat percentage is importnat. As you exercise this will be a welcomed decrease.

Good luck....

I'm also 6'1" and while I am tentatively shooting to get down to 190 lbs, I think I'd be happy at 200-210. I think that chart (140 lbs???) is ridiculous.

I'm also 6'1" and while I am tentatively shooting to get down to 190 lbs, I think I'd be happy at 200-210. I think that chart (140 lbs???) is ridiculous.

YES... I agree!

I haven't been 140 since somewhere around 5th grade! I broke 6 feet in 6th grade. I wasnt the short fat kid either... I was just tall.

I just adjusted my goal weight, based on the BMI calculator. Knocked it down another 15 pounds to a weight I haven't seen since my college days.

I'm not a guy, but I'll answer anyway. I think that "chart" is a bunch of BS. Even at the very top weight of my 'ideal range' I look like a T-Rex. Big head, tiny body.

Also, according to them, my husband is like 40lbs overweight. He's a totally normal sized looking guy who in NO WAY needs to lose 40lbs. Even 20lbs would have him in 32-34s. What's normal??? 28?? No way!

My Nurse Coordinator explained how everyone getting the Lapband procedure should identify what their goal weights should be.

I have tried to determine what mine should be using the BMI index as a reference. I am a 46 yr old male 6' 1" inches tall. According to the BMI index I should be between 140 to 189 to fall in the normal range.

I was thinking 200 lbs would be an ideal goal for me but this puts me in the overweight catagory.

Does anyone feel the same way as I?

My wife and I both think that 189 is too light for my body style. I have a rather long thick trunk with shorter legs (28" inseam).

I am just curious on how the BMI chart was created and what criteria determines the weight ranges by height.

I disagree with the B.M.I. ranges.

I use a goal SIZE of a men's XL shirt and 38-inch waist slacks.

You have the choose the weight that you feel is the best for your body and your size frame you will no when its the right time. Good luck.

I think the BMI chart is going to be close for me, but then again I'm probably not normal. LOL! Ten or twenty years ago, I could have easily carried more weight than I can now. Right now at 189 and around a 29 BMI, I still have love handles and guy boobs. I'm at a 36" waiste and 30" inseam. If I reach 170, I'll be real close to the "normal" catagory.

Now, I believe losing ANY weight is good. I would not be unhappy if my weight loss stopped and I stayed where I'm at and work off some more of the fat and replace it with muscle through resistance excersizing.

My point I guess is that your goal needn't be gettting in the "normal" or even the "overweight" range. If you go from "morbidly obese" two catagories down to "obese", you have done yourself a huge favor Healthwise.

Just my two cents....

Bruce

I'm 5'9", and my BMI says I need to weigh a max of 164lbs. When I was in high school, playing football every day, I weighed 165 lbs with a 28 inch waist, so I was already overweight. For my lapband journey I have three goal weights, from my top weight of 265. The first goal I have met, which was to be below 225 (my lowest weight in the last 5 years). My second goal is 199, and my stretch goal is 180 and a 32 inch waist. At 180 and 32 inch waist, I'll look pretty darn good, and I won't care what the BMI charts say.

I've gotta laugh. At 18 years old, I was 6'1" 168 lbs and was kind of on the scrawny side. If I dropped to 140 lbs, I'd look like I had just come out of a POW camp and was never fed.

The main reason I hate the BMI chart is it makes no distinction for sex. At 5'9" and 164, I'd be considered one pound short of overweight, but in reality I'd be pretty scrawny. I know, I've been that height and weight before. A woman at that height and weight would most likely be very healthy looking and could possibly be carrying a small amount of excess weight (most likely not). I use athletes for reference for what I should weigh. If Ray Rice (running back for Rutgers) is 5'9" and weighs 200 pounds (he is and does), then I'd better weigh less than him, at my ideal weight, because he is a freak of muscular nature, and I am not. I work out a decent bit, so I know 165 is not going to happen, which is how I go to my stretch goal of 180.

BMI is a crock created by the insurance industry and has very little basis in medcine or science.

If I were to be in the normal BMI range I would highest I could weigh is 183lbs @ 6 feet.

Based on the body analysis that I have throughout my weight loss, I would be at <5% body fat if I were to weigh 183lbs. That ain't gonna happen, and is not really healthy.

I chose my goal weight of 210 before my body anlaysis which would put me at ~15% body fat assuming I dont gain any more muscle weight. This is the same BF% as many elite athletes so I think that might be okay.

Healthy weight is kinda an enigma, even my surgeon admitted it is a guesstimate.

Andrew