Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will the restriction relax?

I’m 41 days out. I still can’t eat more than a couple of bites of anything. It’s really frustrating. I knew I would be restricted, but I didn’t realize how much. I wanted this surgery to help create a healthy relationship with food. One where I can be satisfied with normal portions. I also wanted to have a healthy diet full of vegetables so I could nourish my body like I feel God intended. Not with Protein Shakes that make me nauseous . I’m really feeling like this wasn’t the right choice for me because I’m feeling so distressed.

This doc presents a typical volume progression which fits my general experience (though my wife continues to be somewhat more restricted than I am even after 18 years.) Some will progress faster or slower than others, but you do seem to be on the slow side.

You might have a minor stricture at the stoma which is overly restricting things - not an uncommon thing with the bypass. Have you talked with your doc about this - it is usually easily treated with an endoscopic dilation if that is the problem.

But yes, over time you should be able to have a healthy diet full of fruits and veg - the doc in the video above is a big fan of this - but it may take you a little more time than others. Throughout my loss phase I always maintained at least an homage to a healthy balanced diet with some whole grains, veg and fruits in there, even if it was at times a minimal amount.

BTW. what group did you have your surgery through? I have a nephew who works for Atrium, so am always curious how people got along with them.

Good luck in your venture...

41 days out & nearing the end of the soft food phase I was only eating 1/4-1/3 cup of food so really just a couple of bites. It took me 6 months to be able to eat about a cup & then another year to be able to eat about a recommended portion of most foods. I still have my restriction. I don’t feel it every day of course because I learnt not to eat until I feel it but that took time. There are days when it kicks in earlier than I expect - ate something more dense or rich, something that sat too heavily in my tummy, ate a little more quickly, or for some other reason my quirky tummy has that day.

Some people can eat more from early on but it’s an individual thing. I remember saying to my surgeon at 8 months I can only eat what I can physically eat & he agreed. Do check with your team though to be sure everything is okay.

If they want you to eat more you may have to eat your smaller meals more frequently. E.g. 4 or 5 small meals vs 3 meals of the size they recommend to meet goals. Worth discussions with your team.

The healthy way of eating comes as you progress and are eating a wider variety of foods. At the moment you’re still healing & recovering & slowly introducing foods into your diet. In time you’ll work out how & what you want to eat in the long term. Think of the time you are losing weight as your time to learn better habits, about better nutrition, making better choices & what way of eating works best for you. I.e. a sustainable way of eating so you can maintain your weight that isn’t restrictive but complements how you want to live & enjoy your life.

14 hours ago, RickM said:

This doc presents a typical volume progression which fits my general experience (though my wife continues to be somewhat more restricted than I am even after 18 years.) Some will progress faster or slower than others, but you do seem to be on the slow side.

You might have a minor stricture at the stoma which is overly restricting things - not an uncommon thing with the bypass. Have you talked with your doc about this - it is usually easily treated with an endoscopic dilation if that is the problem.

But yes, over time you should be able to have a healthy diet full of fruits and veg - the doc in the video above is a big fan of this - but it may take you a little more time than others. Throughout my loss phase I always maintained at least an homage to a healthy balanced diet with some whole grains, veg and fruits in there, even if it was at times a minimal amount.

BTW. what group did you have your surgery through? I have a nephew who works for Atrium, so am always curious how people got along with them.

Thank you for your response! I had mine through atrium. The process was ok. I’ve never had surgery before so I don’t really have anything to compare it to in that way.

14 hours ago, RickM said:

Thank you for your response! I had mine through atrium. The process was ok. I’ve never had surgery before so I don’t really have anything to compare it to in that way.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:48 PM, Arabesque said:

41 days out & nearing the end of the soft food phase I was only eating 1/4-1/3 cup of food so really just a couple of bites. It took me 6 months to be able to eat about a cup & then another year to be able to eat about a recommended portion of most foods. I still have my restriction. I don’t feel it every day of course because I learnt not to eat until I feel it but that took time. There are days when it kicks in earlier than I expect - ate something more dense or rich, something that sat too heavily in my tummy, ate a little more quickly, or for some other reason my quirky tummy has that day.

Some people can eat more from early on but it’s an individual thing. I remember saying to my surgeon at 8 months I can only eat what I can physically eat & he agreed. Do check with your team though to be sure everything is okay.

If they want you to eat more you may have to eat your smaller meals more frequently. E.g. 4 or 5 small meals vs 3 meals of the size they recommend to meet goals. Worth discussions with your team.

The healthy way of eating comes as you progress and are eating a wider variety of foods. At the moment you’re still healing & recovering & slowly introducing foods into your diet. In time you’ll work out how & what you want to eat in the long term. Think of the time you are losing weight as your time to learn better habits, about better nutrition, making better choices & what way of eating works best for you. I.e. a sustainable way of eating so you can maintain your weight that isn’t restrictive but complements how you want to live & enjoy your life.

Thank you!

On 9/2/2023 at 11:48 PM, Arabesque said:

Thank you!

On 9/2/2023 at 11:49 PM, Jessica19922 said:

I’m 41 days out. I still can’t eat more than a couple of bites of anything. It’s really frustrating. I knew I would be restricted, but I didn’t realize how much. I wanted this surgery to help create a healthy relationship with food. One where I can be satisfied with normal portions. I also wanted to have a healthy diet full of vegetables so I could nourish my body like I feel God intended. Not with Protein Shakes that make me nauseous . I’m really feeling like this wasn’t the right choice for me because I’m feeling so distressed.

Hi Jessica

I am 3 months out and feel the same. Some days I can only handle a couple of bites of anything I’ve the day. It’s really distressing to me.