Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing some encouragement.

Hi everyone. I’m new here- got my lap band on Sept 1. I lost 8 lbs leading up to surgery and then another 12 in about a month and a half… but then the loss stopped and I gained 5 back. I just had my third fill and my doc wants me back in a month to make sure I’m in the green zone.
Its been six months and I feel like I’m never going to lose this weight.

Virtual hugs accepted 🤗👍💕🙏🏽

Virtual hugs sent!

One thought: see it as you would a work assignment. If this approach won't solve your problem, then find another. I definitely don't want to discourage you, and it's obviously important you try to get the most out of your surgery, but if you've done that and it still doesn't work, don't beat yourself up! (Beating yourself up leads to weight gain, too, so it really doesn't help :) )

Give it the time and effort it deserves, but be open to needing a second stage intervention if it doesn't get you to where you want to be. I suspect your BMI is relatively low since you got a band, so maybe a second surgery isn't on the cards.

Are you tracking everything you eat and drink on an app like My Fitness Pal?

I had a lap band for about 7 years and I did lose weight, but not all that I wanted to. So it was successful to some extent. On my post op journey while reading forums here, it was frustrating to see others who had RNY, DS or Sleeve losing weight faster than me. Lap band definitely offers slower weight loss results than the other surgeries. So I understand how you're feeling. While we spend months trying to get the perfect restriction (green zone) the other folks who have RNY, DS, Sleeve, and I don't want to leave out the MGB this time (for @MiniGastricBypassDude 😂 Sorry I left your surgery out up there ^ 😂) folks that had these surgeries were losing weight from day one. It's just harder for banders, we really in some ways have to work harder because we have more time from post op with less restriction. So hang in there, exercise if you can and track your food and make good food choices, optimize your Protein.

Best wishes!

Edited by WhispersOfAngel

I had the band. Didn't lose a single lb with it, it just didn't work for me. For others it works well, and for a great many people it works a bit. You will fall into one of these groups and which one certainly isn't your fault. If you're doing your best, which is all anyone can do, and you aren't losing - consider what your next step can be. See other medical teams too, your surgeon may not be the most unbiased voice here.

1 minute ago, Pollito said:

I had the band. Didn't lose a single lb with it, it just didn't work for me. For others it works well, and for a great many people it works a bit. You will fall into one of these groups and which one certainly isn't your fault. If you're doing your best, which is all anyone can do, and you aren't losing - consider what your next step can be. See other medical teams too, your surgeon may not be the most unbiased voice here.

I agree. 💯

My new surgeon told me that the weight that I did lose with the band was probably mostly my doing. Not the band.

8 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

I agree. 💯

My new surgeon told me that the weight that I did lose with the band was probably mostly my doing. Not the band.

Mine too. I lost all my excess weight while having the band, but 6 years later and didn't use it at all.