Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Collagen supplements after surgery...chews anyone?

Currently I am taking collagen to help my skin prior to surgery. Has anyone tried any soft chew collagen supplements after surgery? If so, which ones do you recommend or ones you think are horrible? TIA

The BariatricPal Store carries a nice selection of Bariatric friendly collagen at https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/collagen

I added a collagen powder to the high Protein Drink I had every second day & also added liquid silica to the mix (BioCeuticals which is a practitioner quality brand - don’t know if you can get it in the US). I also did a couple of 6 week radio frequency treatments to stimulate collagen. Can I say it actually did anything to help my skin? Nope. My nails didn’t get stronger either & I still went through the har loss cycle most of us experience. I have some loose skin on my face & on my body but I did stretch out my skin being overweight so it is to be expected. We all seem to go through a stage where we all look drawn & haggard but once we get into maintenance everything seems to settle. I sometimes wonder if the actual texture of my skin improved but that is more likely down to my more balanced nutrient dense diet & being even more vigilant about my Fluid consumption (& maybe regular facials ).

Edited by Arabesque

I started powder collagen like a month ago too. That and Hyaluronic Acid. I read that to really see the affects of collagen you have to have been using it for at least 3 months. So, guess we'll see in a few months cause I gotta say, not seeing a difference in my hair, skin or anything else as of now.

Thanks @SummerTimeGirl and @Arabesque...I will continue my collagen supplements knowing they may not be doing anything. They are cheap so they won't hurt and with fingers crossed they might help with skin conditioning. I won't invest in anything expensive.

6 hours ago, Flab-U-Less Forever said:

Thanks @SummerTimeGirl and @Arabesque...I will continue my collagen supplements knowing they may not be doing anything. They are cheap so they won't hurt and with fingers crossed they might help with skin conditioning. I won't invest in anything expensive.

You're welcome. The collagen powder I use is NeoCell Super Collagen Peptides Powder in 7 Ounces (20 day supply) off of Amazon and it's like $13. So nothing too nuts. I told my husband about this thread and what I said and he said, "I disagree. I'm seeing far less of your hair laying around the house and bathroom than before so maybe it's due to that collagen stuff." LOL But I told him I also doubled my Protein intake (which the surgeon suggested) so it could be that as well. Hard to tell. Either way I'll stick with it for now.

Edited by SummerTimeGirl

Stumbled upon this article this morning: https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-09-24/collagen-skin-care-what-is-it-how-good-is-it/100431694

It basically says the body can’t absorb the collagen found in supplements. There is no real research to support the taking of collagen except that done by the companies that make it. 🙄

The slowing of your Hair loss @SummerTimeGirl could be the natural conclusion of the rapid hair loss cycle. It usually only lasts 3 or so months. It’s more likely due to your increased Protein intake than the collagen. 🙂

14 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Stumbled upon this article this morning: https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-09-24/collagen-skin-care-what-is-it-how-good-is-it/100431694

It basically says the body can’t absorb the collagen found in supplements. There is no real research to support the taking of collagen except that done by the companies that make it. 🙄

The slowing of your Hair loss @SummerTimeGirl could be the natural conclusion of the rapid hair loss cycle. It usually only lasts 3 or so months. It’s more likely due to your increased Protein intake than the collagen. 🙂

Yup. Which is exactly what I was trying to tell my husband (pertaining to the bolded part). Like I said, I'll use it for the 3 months then re-evaluate. Thanks!

I wish supplements were under the purview of the FDA then we would know whether or not to spend the money on them