Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal hernia after already having the sleeve?

Have any of you dealt with a hiatal hernia AFTER getting sleeved? What ended up happening?

I am currently dealing with this. I haven’t yet found out what my surgeon wants to do, but I am afraid that I will be told the only option is to convert to RNY, and I absolutely do not want that. Have any of you had luck with simply repairing the hernia and keeping the sleeve instead of converting to RNY?
Do any of you have suggestions on doctors who may be experienced at dealing with this problem?
i appreciate any advice since it is hard to find info on this problem. It seems like tons of people have hernia repairs at the time they have the sleeve done but it seems less common to have it come up later.

Posted (edited)

There's a really interesting paper published on this topic, it is currently in press. I can send you the full paper PDF if you'd like. You can see abstract etc here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33483233/

I have been having "BARF Syndrome" as they describe in the paper, and my 1-month post-sleeve barium swallow showed a recurrence of my hiatal hernia (it was repaired during sleeve). My surgeon also wants to convert to bypass.

This paper shows improvement of symptoms with even just HH repair.

Edited by JRL1989

On 3/4/2021 at 2:27 AM, SleevedK said:

Have any of you dealt with a hiatal hernia AFTER getting sleeved? What ended up happening?

I am currently dealing with this. I haven’t yet found out what my surgeon wants to do, but I am afraid that I will be told the only option is to convert to RNY, and I absolutely do not want that. Have any of you had luck with simply repairing the hernia and keeping the sleeve instead of converting to RNY?
Do any of you have suggestions on doctors who may be experienced at dealing with this problem?
i appreciate any advice since it is hard to find info on this problem. It seems like tons of people have hernia repairs at the time they have the sleeve done but it seems less common to have it come up later.

I have covered this topic and I'm currently on the hunt for a better solution. Read my latest post and follow me for updates. I was recently told that RNY confession was my only option and as someone with Anemia - this isn't an option.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, JRL1989 said:

There's a really interesting paper published on this topic, it is currently in press. I can send you the full paper PDF if you'd like. You can see abstract etc here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33483233/

I have been having "BARF Syndrome" as they describe in the paper, and my 1-month post-sleeve barium swallow showed a recurrence of my hiatal hernia (it was repaired during sleeve). My surgeon also wants to convert to bypass.

This paper shows improvement of symptoms with even just HH repair.

This is great! I'm going to steal the link to this article and repost on my post. I have covered this topic and I'm currently on the hunt for a surgeon. Read my latest post and follow me for updates. I was recently told that RNY confession was my only option and as someone with Anemia - this isn't an option.