Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Autoimmune diseases & bariatric surgery ??s

Hi all. I am not very active here, but I am struggling lately and just have a couple of questions.

I started back to university in January, which I'm so glad I was able to, but it has been exhausting and I don't think it really should be. I am also from Texas, so we are still going through some pretty awful stuff at the moment. My family (5 kids, my husband, and I) made it out unscathed for the most part and got very lucky we only lost power for about 8 hours. I was pretty scared of being without power so we risked travel on icy highways to travel to my mom's house since she has a generator. We left to come back home because I was afraid of our pipes bursting and the animals were alone, and unfortunately on the way home we were rear-ended due to some black ice. We are okay and it's probably all just cosmetic damage, but we'll need our entire bumper replaced. It has been so extremely stressful, to say the very least. We, fortunately, had power back when we came home and our pipes did okay through the freezing weather.

I have been struggling with fatigue. My doctor has suspected an autoimmune issue for a while (years), and I finally saw my rheumatologist after an entire year of waiting. Well, my blood work shows markers so when I go back I'm sure there will be more tests. I do have hypothyroidism and my T3 is low (other thyroid levels within normal ranges), but I have never been tested for Hashimoto's, I was just put on Levothyroxine and have been on it since 2011. My Vitamins are okay as far as I can see. I know I'm also probably dehydrated because I still struggle with eating and drinking properly.

My question I suppose really is, does anyone here have autoimmune diseases who had the bariatric surgery, and did you/do you struggle still with fatigue? I am nearly 7 months post-op, so I was hoping to see an increase in energy levels, but that's just not happening. I am just always lethargic with little energy. I will add, I do not sleep a solid 8 hours due to pain, and I do know that that could also be making things worse. I would just like anyone's insight/suggestions/experience with this sort of thing. Did you improve with treatment? How long did it take to see/feel improvements?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if my own experiences could offer any insight... but, I have two autoimmune diseases/disorders: Psoriasis and Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Psoriasis deals with skin issues though there is some joint pain that comes with that. And Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE) has to do with the white cells in your esophagus thinking your body is under attack and multiplying. It causes narrowing in your esophagus which leads to dysphagia and choking issues. Acid issues. Chest pain and abdominal pain. And the occasional time where food backs up on you and either gets stuck in your throat trying to come out or you spit or throw it up (generally when you eat too fast, too soon, or too much). I'm allowed to drink a little if I choke BECAUSE of the EOE (I rarely have to though. Usually only once or twice a week where I have a choking incident and need to take a sip).

I do deal with more fatigue then most. I don't actually know if it's due to either of my autoimmune disorders or if it has to do with another health issue that may actually be ANOTHER autoimmune disorder (my doctor is trying to figure out if I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) or if my various symptoms with the fatigue is caused by a spinal Fluid leak (the two have very similar symptoms and are often misdiagnosed as the opposite problem so my doctor is trying to cover all her bases and figure out which one it is. We're both HOPING it's the spinal fluid leak because that could be fixed semi-easily while the other issue has no cure as the meds for it didn't work for me. I really hope it's the spinal fluid leak because if it's the other I'd end up permanently disabled and I'm only 33 so I very much don't want that).

I do know that despite still having fatigue issues, I have more energy now than I did six months ago (I'm almost 13 months post op) so I feel that it WILL get better. At least a bit. Hopefully whatever treatment they have for you improves upon that as well! I wish you the best!

On 2/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, NovaLuna said:

Not sure if my own experiences could offer any insight... but, I have two autoimmune diseases/disorders: Psoriasis and Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Psoriasis deals with skin issues though there is some joint pain that comes with that. And Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE) has to do with the white cells in your esophagus thinking your body is under attack and multiplying. It causes narrowing in your esophagus which leads to dysphagia and choking issues. Acid issues. Chest pain and abdominal pain. And the occasional time where food backs up on you and either gets stuck in your throat trying to come out or you spit or throw it up (generally when you eat too fast, too soon, or too much). I'm allowed to drink a little if I choke BECAUSE of the EOE (I rarely have to though. Usually only once or twice a week where I have a choking incident and need to take a sip).

I do deal with more fatigue then most. I don't actually know if it's due to either of my autoimmune disorders or if it has to do with another health issue that may actually be ANOTHER autoimmune disorder (my doctor is trying to figure out if I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) or if my various symptoms with the fatigue is caused by a spinal Fluid leak (the two have very similar symptoms and are often misdiagnosed as the opposite problem so my doctor is trying to cover all her bases and figure out which one it is. We're both HOPING it's the spinal Fluid leak because that could be fixed semi-easily while the other issue has no cure as the meds for it didn't work for me. I really hope it's the spinal fluid leak because if it's the other I'd end up permanently disabled and I'm only 33 so I very much don't want that).

I do know that despite still having fatigue issues, I have more energy now than I did six months ago (I'm almost 13 months post op) so I feel that it WILL get better. At least a bit. Hopefully whatever treatment they have for you improves upon that as well! I wish you the best!

Thanks for your response. I hope you get the answers you want and soon.

I hope that in time I feel better and have more energy. It's rough dealing with the fatigue.