Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panic....a little help here

I woke this morning and I was in a panic....thought I was banded. I have some hand-ups about getting the surgery. I am moving along with the pre-op regimen and am doing well with completing what the doc wants me to do. Here is what I have done so far......

sleep apnea test....positive

Blood work....nine tubes...would help if they can find the vein...darn nurse

PT....one more session

Throat scope....next week

Nutritionist....next week

I am looking at a mid January surgery date....that is if insurance is not a hump about giving me the all clear.

Concerns:

*food and what I can eat.

*Getting sick...I know I have asked this before (PBing) I looked at how I eat now….I just chew a few times and then swallow.

*Social citations...

*coffee........now that is a topic I have read a great deal about on this board

*Booze....yeah...I like to drink a few on the weekends...I know empty cal's

*What is down the road when you have the band....2...5...10...20 years What is my life going to be like?

*Teeth....yeah...I laughed about this one.....what happens if I have tooth problems and can't chew as one should with the band? Are you up the creek....????

I know this is a commitment and I am willing to take my best shot at making the journey of my life.....for my life.

I can't go on being a bucket of crap and have to make a change. I just get a little bent about the changes that will happen and if I will be able to handle them.

Your thoughts........

BTW.....Anybody from NJ that would be willing to mentor me that has been banded?

Be well,

Mike (Fish)

hi mike

Im in NJ and was just banded on 11/6. My healing process has been going great as far as I am concerned! I am on my last week of mushie foods and then I can move on to solids. I have not had any problems eating but I do keep my portions small and everything is mushie so I am a little worried about PBing when I start on solid foods. I know everyone says what you can eat is different with each person so its hard to say what you can eat. So far I have been eatin tuna fish, mashed potatoes and veggie Soup for my mushies and occasionaly cheese fries - not the best choice but they are mushie and the cheese is good for Protein :-)

There isnt much info that I can provide because like i said I am just almost a month out so I too have a lot to learn. but I think if you take it slow and remember that the band is there to help you then everything will turn out fine.

All I can tell you is that this was the best thing I've done for myself (other than the divorce :girl_hug:). Sure, there are things you'll have to change, but the eating habits you have now are BAD for you. food is the enemy, you really have to treat this like quitting smoking. Short term pain (physical and mental) for long term victory.

Hi Mike,

I HAD ALL THE SAME THOUGHTS AND QUESTIONS, THAT YOU HAVE. AT THE PRESENT TIME I AM HAVEING A SMALL SET BACK BECAUSE I'm eating to much. But I will say no mater what you think. I myself would go through it all, every week of my life if need be. I have so much energy now and feel great since I lost 8" off the waist, and lost 40 Lbs in the last 4 months. Trust an old timer you must have faith in your decission, and go forward, never look back.

Hi Mike,

I've had my band for over 10 months and it is the best thing that I've ever done. I know that in the begining it is all a little overwhelming, but life just gets better when you are not controlled by food. It is weird when you're not the fattest guy in the room. Don't worry about the little things. Just go for it.

John

Guys......Yes...so I am a little rattled or lets just say I was. I understand that this is a good thing and I must funnel my fear and make it positive. It is nice to hear the sucsess and how much you stand behind your choice...the band. I WILL be saying those words shortly, I just have to keep my head in the game.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.....it wacked me back on track.

Mike (Fish)

I think we have all had similar fears pre-op and I'm happy to say that I found most of those fears unfounded. The only problem I had during the surgery was the anesthesiologist had problems finding the arterial line and was too stubborn to seek help. He must have thought he was a Texas oilman. When I threatened to get up off the gurney, he finally got the idea I was stressing a little and called over another doctor who got it the first time. I don't remeber much else about the surgery itself, it went that fast. The only post-operative problems I had was discomfort around the area that made it difficult to sit for a prolonged stretch, I was lucky, because I was between jobs, but to be honest, I had the surgery on a Wednesday and probably would have taken the rest of the week off and been able to go back to work on Monday. I'm a desk jockey, so I can't speak for guys with more physically demanding jobs.

I think the worst part was the first week of liquids. Not that I was felling hungry. I heard stories about that and was worried, but whether it was a mental thing or not, I didn't feel hungry at all. It was just that it got boring real quick and I wasn't crazy about the Isopure I was drinking. Once I was off Clear Liquids after the first two days, things improved.

I have yet to experience any restrictions or PBing and I do feel full quicker. Everything I've read says coffee is okay and I have a regular cup in the morning, although I drink Decaf on cardiologist orders.

I'm not a big drinker, but I did like an occasional beer once in a while. I stay away from that now because of the carbs, but I'e learned to take a liking to vodka for those social occasions that call for it ;).

What did you mean by social citations? I have only told a handful of close family and friends about the banding, so for other people who comment on the weight loss, I just laugh it off and blame it on my wife's cooking.

Jack is right. I drank soda every day of my life, and not just a can a day. We're talking more like a 6-pack of Coke per day. That's almost 1,000 calories just in liquids. After surgery I tried soda a couple of times and the carbonation was difficult to burp up. Now I never drink anything carbonated and the strangest part is that I don't even crave it. I still desire sweet drinks like OJ, lemonade or Gatorade, but at least I can substitute these for healthier choices like Crystal Light. They even have OJ with Splenda now, so it's 1/2 the calories.

Trust us, your habits and desires will change.

Your second thoughts are normal. You'll probably have them right up until surgery. This is a life changing event. It's been a great ride!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bruce