Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puking: Post-Op vs. Pre-Op



Recommended Posts

So...is it any different? Instead of explosive vomiting with a full, normal size stomach, is post-op puking a quieter, bubble up type situation into your mouth? Sorry for the gross topic, but I'm curious. I spend 9hr a day in a relatively open office type cubicle with folks around me that can hear me, but not see me. I'm hoping that if I get in a puking predicament, it's something that no one will necessarily be able tell unless I spit into the trashcan or something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kimmie K said:

So...is it any different? Instead of explosive vomiting with a full, normal size stomach, is post-op puking a quieter, bubble up type situation into your mouth? Sorry for the gross topic, but I'm curious. I spend 9hr a day in a relatively open office type cubicle with folks around me that can hear me, but not see me. I'm hoping that if I get in a puking predicament, it's something that no one will necessarily be able tell unless I spit into the trashcan or something...

As someone who just vomited last night, I feel well-equipped to answer this question. lmao. Womp womp.

I've puked twice since surgery and both times I don't think I had food in my stomach (it passes through quickly). It feels the same, though. Both times I just had a bit of mucus and spit comes out. The heaving feeling is identical. I feel so paranoid I am going to rip something now, though, although I don't think that is actually possible. So soon post-op, though, I do check for blood just in case something is awry. You have such a small pouch, it's pretty uneventful what comes up, but I still have similar... projection... into the toilet. lol. I usually have a bit of mucus come up, and the rest is just me spitting out excess saliva. So... the trashcan theory is possible maybe?

You really shouldn't puke though. It's not really common at all. The first time it was my fault, I did something really stupid that I'm not going to mention LOL... last night was some freak occurrence with no real reason identified yet. Basically just uncomfortable dry-heaving.

In sum: You're never going to Exorcist vomit all over a bathroom and have to clean up.

Edited by mousecat88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

As someone who just vomited last night, I feel well-equipped to answer this question. lmao. Womp womp.

I've puked twice since surgery and both times I don't think I had food in my stomach (it passes through quickly). It feels the same, though. Both times I just had a bit of mucus and spit comes out. The heaving feeling is identical. I feel so paranoid I am going to rip something now, though, although I don't think that is actually possible. So soon post-op, though, I do check for blood just in case something is awry. You have such a small pouch, it's pretty uneventful what comes up, but I still have similar... projection... into the toilet. lol. I usually have a bit of mucus come up, and the rest is just me spitting out excess saliva. So... the trashcan theory is possible maybe?

You really shouldn't puke though. It's not really common at all. The first time it was my fault, I did something really stupid that I'm not going to mention LOL... last night was some freak occurrence with no real reason identified yet. Basically just uncomfortable dry-heaving.

In sum: You're never going to Exorcist vomit all over a bathroom and have to clean up.

Man, you're awesome :P I always the best replies from you.
It's comforting to hear that it's not as common as I thought and if it were to happen, it might be able to be contained. I rarely if ever throw up. The only time I have is from drinking too much many years ago. Hopefully my guts can maintain that record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a dumping episode in my car once when I FOOLISHLY bought a Mocha and an apple (and a small can of Pringles, hands up, I'll confess) in a moment of weakness, which led to sliming and throwing up mouthfuls of chewed apple and Pringles. Soz TMI.

I hadn't eaten lunch, I was on my way to give a lecture so I knew I wouldn't be home for ages and so in a moment of crazy weakness I stopped at the servo. I bought an apple (pre-surgery it would have been chocolate) and thought 'how bad can a Mocha be? It's basically coffee with a little bit of chocolate'). How wrong I was!

I ate the apple and, I'm ashamed to say, the Pringles and they were fine. Then I started drinking the Mocha. Made it all the way through and then started to feel AWFUL. I was in a car on a motorway and couldn't stop w/o being late for my lecture. So the sliming (gross saliva) started and I was throwing it up into the Mocha cup, one hand on the wheel.

Luckily it was in small quantities but I reckon I filled half of the Mocha Cup. But I was very quiet and discreet in the car so, its not like regular vomiting.

I have never done this before and I will NEVER do it again. No more Pringles and mochas for this girl. Sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ummyasmin said:

I had a dumping episode in my car once when I FOOLISHLY bought a Mocha and an apple (and a small can of Pringles, hands up, I'll confess) in a moment of weakness, which led to sliming and throwing up mouthfuls of chewed apple and Pringles. Soz TMI.

I have never done this before and I will NEVER do it again. No more Pringles and mochas for this girl. Sometimes ya gotta learn the hard way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

One of my bosses had gastric 6 years ago or so, and he will still go get milkshakes and slushies on occasion KNOWING he will get sick. He always says he ends up pooping, though. I guess it can go either way! He still does it though. smh. lol.

I had a reaction 2 weeks out from campbells condensed Soup and was shaking/shivering for 4 hours straight and will NEVER HAVE CAMPBELLS SOUP AGAIN. lol. That stuff happens ONE TIME and you never want it to again. Unless you're my boss, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One of my bosses had gastric 6 years ago or so, and he will still go get milkshakes and slushies on occasion KNOWING he will get sick. He always says he ends up pooping, though. I guess it can go either way! He still does it though. smh. lol.
I had a reaction 2 weeks out from campbells condensed Soup and was shaking/shivering for 4 hours straight and will NEVER HAVE CAMPBELLS Soup AGAIN. lol. That stuff happens ONE TIME and you never want it to again. Unless you're my boss, I guess.
Hell no, once was enough for me. I can't even look at a Mocha from the servo now. Not that they are that great to begin with (coffee snob coz I'm from Melbourne, Oz)

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't even imagine how much sugar they put into Campbell's Soup to cause dumping. Sheesh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mousecat88 said:

One of my bosses had gastric 6 years ago or so, and he will still go get milkshakes and slushies on occasion KNOWING he will get sick. He always says he ends up pooping, though. I guess it can go either way! He still does it though. smh. lol.

I had a reaction 2 weeks out from campbells condensed Soup and was shaking/shivering for 4 hours straight and will NEVER HAVE CAMPBELLS Soup AGAIN. lol. That stuff happens ONE TIME and you never want it to again. Unless you're my boss, I guess.

LMFAO your boss is one brave little toaster :D I already can't eat ice cream for whatever reason because I'll get bubble guts in about 30 min so that's definitely NOT worth the few minutes of bliss LOLOL

Your reaction to the soup...was that a dumping symptom? I just looked at my post-op diet nutrition sheet and at starting week 2 you can have condensed soups...cream of chicken or mushroom, no chunks or clumps. Sounds lovely. Do you remember which one you had?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ummyasmin said:

I can't even imagine how much sugar they put into Campbell's Soup to cause dumping. Sheesh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

It was actually a recommended food for me on full liquids, BUT I read later than cream can really upset an ulcer (which at the time I didn't know I had)... so I think I had some weird... dumping-like reaction because I have the ulcer and the cream didn't sit well. Once the ulcer heals, I can probably have it... but.... no. lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kimmie K said:

LMFAO your boss is one brave little toaster :D I already can't eat ice cream for whatever reason because I'll get bubble guts in about 30 min so that's definitely NOT worth the few minutes of bliss LOLOL

Your reaction to the soup...was that a dumping symptom? I just looked at my post-op diet nutrition sheet and at starting week 2 you can have condensed soups...cream of chicken or mushroom, no chunks or clumps. Sounds lovely. Do you remember which one you had?

I only had the dumping because my then-undiagnosed ulcer didn't like the cream in the Soup. It's a totally normal food post-op otherwise. I had the cream of chicken. I DID try the cream of broccoli a week later but it still made me nauseous and had maybe 3 spoons worth so... nahhhh.

My boss has also gained back like 50lbs so. There's that. Sigh. I don't even think he takes Vitamins anymore.

Edited by mousecat88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I only had the dumping because my then-undiagnosed ulcer didn't like the cream in the Soup. It's a totally normal food post-op otherwise. I had the cream of chicken. I DID try the cream of broccoli a week later but it still made me nauseous and had maybe 3 spoons worth so... nahhhh.

My boss has also gained back like 50lbs so. There's that. Sigh. I don't even think he takes Vitamins anymore.

Ohhhh ok, gotcha. Ulcers...that and pooping at work...my fears LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kimmie K said:

Ohhhh ok, gotcha. Ulcers...that and pooping at work...my fears LOL

Haha pooping at work is the best. You get paid to poop! I mean, I wouldn't want gross, excessive pooping at work. Or pooping without making it to the bathroom. But regular pooping... the best. I have started carrying spare underwear in my purse, though... just in case. Hasn't happened yet. Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And honestly, I know I b***h about my ulcer because life is unjust... but since I started the meds, it doesn't bother me so much. Yeah, I have to be on bland, crap puree for way longer than I should have to... BUT it's definitely taught me a) Portion Control, b) how to ignore my cravings, and c) how to stick to a really strict diet. So... brightside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mousecat88 said:

Haha pooping at work is the best. You get paid to poop! I mean, I wouldn't want gross, excessive pooping at work. Or pooping without making it to the bathroom. But regular pooping... the best. I have started carrying spare underwear in my purse, though... just in case. Hasn't happened yet. Fingers crossed.

Bahahaahah! :D Spare undies are dang good idea! My company is literally 18 people with no out of the way bathrooms. They're in the middle of the building which also happens to be located on the opposite side of the wall from where me and my crew sit. You can hear EVERYTHING through the walls! The men here have no shame...none! Most of the women are either super ninja poopers or don't poop here. So if all the sudden someone starts wreckin' the women's, it'll be obvious LOLOL I'm just irrationally paranoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

And honestly, I know I b***h about my ulcer because life is unjust... but since I started the meds, it doesn't bother me so much. Yeah, I have to be on bland, crap puree for way longer than I should have to... BUT it's definitely taught me a) Portion Control, b) how to ignore my cravings, and c) how to stick to a really strict diet. So... brightside?

Every cloud has a silver lining, right?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • GreenTealael

      I accidentally watched my old boss give a very presidential speech in his State of the State address and I almost voted for him... 😂😂😂
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mrs. Rob

      I am so HAPPY TODAY.... I am just 4 pounds away from my all time GOAL.  I reached my goal within 8 MONTHS!!!!!  GOING FROM 245 TO 135... YES!!!!!
      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        CONGRATS 💜

    • KimTriesRNY

      This is completely unreal but two days in a row now I have seen less than 200 pounds on the scale for the first time in over 15 years. I am a pound away from my first goal of 199 at 13.5 months post op. Time to set a new goal for the New Year!
       

      · 7 replies
      1. abefroman329

        Way to go!

      2. GreenTealael

        CONGRATS 💜

      3. Mrs. Rob

        congratulations on reaching your first goal. :1299_raised_hands_tone5:

      4. FluffyChix

        Wooohoooo! Fantastic girlie!!!! So happy for you.

      5. Wanda247

        Congratulations, that's awesome!! ;)

      6. View All Replies
    • GreenTealael  »  elcee

      Soon? CONGRATS 💜
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • cell

      hello all i have a question i have cigna and i called them personally to ask if they cover the weight loss surgery and they told me off the bat that they do not cover weight loss surgery. my question is should i have my dr submit something in writing? 
      · 2 replies
      1. Sophie7713

        Yes, continue to fight this with Cigna! Ask what process they require for a possible review of your case? Ask your surgeon and his team to help you clarify and challenge.

        Since weight loss surgery has gained more popularity and momentum - Cigna from our experience is playing games with their patients who wish to get healthier. It is egregious that Cigna would rather pay for someone's weight related heart attack, hernia, diabetes, sleep apnea and/or other costly conditions then being pro-active! As for ourselves, we tired of jumping thru they're hoops putting off my surgery until April or May 2019 with continued ridiculous, redundant requests. Yet, we know of a colleague where Cigna was cooperative and approved without a hitch.

        Because I needed weight relief off my injured left knee when exercise and dieting were no longer effective... We made the decision to self pay and get on the road to self restoration sooner than later. I wanted to start my new year with a hope and future. For us, the Cigna mill was becoming just to stressful. And, we hold a premium policy with a reputable international corporation. They refuse to pay for vitamin regime now, too.

        Your Cigna story may be better. Not to discourage you - you may or may not have a fight. It is your health and worth fighting for. Do let me know what transpires, will you? Many best wishes for a very positive outcome.

      2. GradyCat

        I don't know anything specifically about Cigna, but maybe they were thinking about the cosmetic kind. Maybe you should have said "bariatric surgery" or asked specifically about their benefits for medically necessary bariatric surgery? I got lucky and my insurance had very good coverage and benefits for WLS and I was approved on the first request. Out of $50,000 billed for the surgery I only had to pay $600.00.

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. New Year’s Resolutions

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
    2. Go With Your Gut!

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Louisa Latela, LCSW, LCADC
    3. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Really!

      Posted in: Post-Op Support
      Alex Brecher
    4. Dealing with Family during the Holidays

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Ash Krupnik
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×