Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Petersen's hernia

I'm about 80 hours post surgery following a repair on Petersen's hernia. Had a CT scan Monday which showed abnormalities (60% or more of these hernias don't show in ct). So op was diagnostic and therapeutic both. They found most of my bowel had migrated through a hole in Petersen's area. Was lucky it had not caused more problems- have had intermittent stomach pain for six months.

Anyway - reason for posting: don't ignore abdo pain after rny surgery. Weightloss can cause holes in membrane that encloses bowel. If this trapped bowel becomes strangulated (loses blood supply) can result in bowel resection - bits cut off - colostomy or even septicemia and death.

They don't show on x-ray, often not on CT either. The bowel slips in and out of the holes making symptoms intermittent. So, abdo pain especially when accompanied by bloating or vomiting needs to be reported to bariatric team. Normal docs won't have a clue. A&e docs told me I had ibs in January.

I'm glad I had my surgery, glad I'm a healthy weight, but my tendency to assume I'm ok and not make a fuss could have had dire consequences.

Edited by myfanwymoi

Doesn't everyone with a RuN bypass inherently have a Petersen" defect, from when they had to puncture the mesentary to realign the small intestinal segments? That said, I am extremely happy,your hernia was repaired and I hope you will feel better and heal successfully.
And I read they can be hidden, because when a woman lies down it isn't always obvious to examiners. Pretty scary situation for you to live through.

@myfanwymoi. Thank you for posting this alert. I posted something recently (with similar warnings) and received a snippy reply from the poster. The person in question ate a big meal on day three of his post-op. He went on to justify his eating by saying that he had a stomach of steel. I hope that someone else will read my post and decide not to advance their diet. Rupturing one's suture line is serious business. I suppose some people are overly-sensitive when septicemia and death are mentioned. Then again, maybe I did come off as a tad preachy, but this post-op act wasn't something to be "proud" of. Made of steel indeed. Superman doesn't even have a stomach made of steel.

I had an incarcerated umbilical hernia. It was not discovered during my surgery but it was every bit as critical to treat surgically posthaste.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Defense against the dark art of not feeling good about yourself on Mr stomach of steel's part I'd guess!

I'm glad yours was found eventually.

Different hernias of course - Petersen's often caused by weight loss as stomach shrinks and fat dissolves things are pulled around. I was Q3 months post surgery when first symptoms appeared.

The point is we need to trust our feelings about our bodies too. I think we generally know when it's wrong...

@Frustr8

"Doesn't everyone with a RuN bypass inherently have a Petersen" defect, from when they had to puncture the mesentary to realign the small intestinal segments?"

I think the point is that incision in the mesentery, which they are aware needs to be closed in surgery, creates a weakness and potential for the hernia.

I'm told most of my bowel had migrated through a huge hole in mine and that this was unusual. The Petersen's hernias themselves used to be more common and often followed peptic ulcer surgery (not often needed now because of modern heliobacterial treatments.)

They are becoming more common now as a side effect of bariatric surgery.

I hunk my impulse for posting was because, certainly in the UK, the dangers of these aren't common knowledge in the general medical community - so we need to educate ourselves and be aware and wary.

I'm now four days post op and worrying because one incision still really hurts and I keep getting loads of stomach wind. Wake up flat tummy and evolve into a misshapen zeppelin. I think I swallow air though. 🤣🤣

@myfanwymoi An incarcerated umbilical hernia doesn't play hide-n-seek. It hurts. You can't sit. You can't stand. You can't dance The Funky Chicken. You are in painville.

I'm going to research Petersen's hernia some more. Thank you for some basic details, though.

Let me guess. The incision that hurts is the furthest one on your left side.

It's actually the middle one.

And I'm glad I didn't have an incarcarated umbilical one. I was just thinking a hide n seek sneaky hernia was something patients like us should know about😀

I hope you're better and dancing funky chickens now 😀😀😀

And you were right, myfanwymoi. We did need to know. I for one am grateful to you. Thank you!