Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Admission Tomorrow!

Is it just me, or did anyone else feel this excited to have their pre-admission testing date arrive? It make this so much more real. Like I'm not dreaming and this is really happening! This is just like the night before my wedding rehearsal :)

It's all good, Luz. Why not take photos to document this early part of your journey? You might want to share your story some day and images can often say more than words. Keep us in the loop. I see that your surgery is scheduled for July 29, 2018. When are you supposed to start your all-liquid pre-surgery diet?

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

25 minutes ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

It's all good, Luz. Why not take photos to document this early part of your journey? You might want to share your story some day and images can often say more than words. Keep us in the loop. I see that your surgery is scheduled for July 29, 2018. When are you supposed to start your all-liquid pre-surgery diet?

What a great idea! Thank you and I will. My surgery date is actually July 30th. I start my liquid diet on the 16th.

I go to my preop appointment tomorrow morning, surgery on 7/17! It’s getting very real! I’m sooo excited.

Good luck! It IS getting VERY excited.

@Luzbella. The surgery date on your profile page said July 29th.

Wow. A two-week liquid diet! Suddenly, my week-only diet doesn't sound as challenging anymore. There really is no standard! By the way, are you addicted to caffeine?

Were you told why you need to be on an all-liquid diet pre-op? In case you weren't:

"In order to reduce the amount of fat around the liver and spleen, a preoperative liquid diet must be followed 7-14 days before gastric bypass surgery.

A large liver prevents your surgeon from visualizing certain anatomy during the procedure. If the liver is too large, it then becomes unsafe to perform the surgery."

@Chunkysoup Wow. How exciting. I'm happy for you, too.

Did you decide on the sleeve or did your surgeon suggest it instead of the gastric bypass?

I'm always curious about how people decide on one over the other.

@Chunkysoup I see from your profile page that you are self-pay.

Is the sleeve not as expensive? Did cost play a part in your decision?

@Missouri-Lee's Summit I decided on the sleeve mostly due to the cost difference. I am self pay (in the states) and it was a $10K difference. However my surgeon also felt that gastric bypass was too aggressive for my BMI.

18 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@Luzbella. The surgery date on your profile page said July 29th.

Wow. A two-week liquid diet! Suddenly, my week-only diet doesn't sound as challenging anymore. There really is no standard! By the way, are you addicted to caffeine?

Were you told why you need to be on an all-liquid diet pre-op? In case you weren't:

"In order to reduce the amount of fat around the liver and spleen, a preoperative liquid diet must be followed 7-14 days before gastric bypass surgery.

A large liver prevents your surgeon from visualizing certain anatomy during the procedure. If the liver is too large, it then becomes unsafe to perform the surgery."

Hi,

Yes a two week pre-op diet. Yes I knew why, but thanks for the info. It's good in case anyone else reads it and does not know why.

About the caffeine addiction. I weaned my self out of it. I was drinking 6-10 cups of coffee everyday. Black. I knew that I was not going to be able to drink it post-op and did not want to suffer any headaches or anything else, and I hate Decaf. I mean, if it has no caffeine, why drink it?) So I started only drinking 5 cups a day for 2 weeks, then I went to 4 and repeated until I reached 1 cup a day. Then, I did that for 1 week and the following week only half a cup for 2 weeks. Then I began skipping a day without coffee, then 2, then 3 and so on.

Will I pick it up afterwards? Um??? Maybe, but not to where I was. A good cup a day will be good.

Pre-Op done!

774EEF5A-D9AE-4811-B3CF-F5E6834B45FB.JPG

@Luzbella I'm so glad that you decided to start documenting your journey with photos. Believe me, you'll be happy that you did it. Once the weight starts to drop, those pictures will be a great reminder of where you started and where you're headed. Of course, you already know this!

22 hours ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@Chunkysoup Wow. How exciting. I'm happy for you, too.

Did you decide on the sleeve or did your surgeon suggest it instead of the gastric bypass?

I'm always curious about how people decide on one over the other.

I did research for about 2 years before I made up my mind on what to have and go see the surgeon. I researched the surgeons in the area and their success records. When I went to my appointment, I knew exactly what I wanted and Dortor Pohl agreed with me. I found that a large amount of people that got the sleeve went back years later to get the RNY. I knew what I wanted and that this was a final decision. So its what I'm getting. I don't know why it sais I'm self pay. I have to fix that. I pay for my insurance $334.00 a month and my co payments and out of pocket expenses are crazy, so in a way I am paying a lot, but my insurance covers most of it.