Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone 5' 1"? Low starting bmi? Care to share?

I'm having a hard time deciding on what my goal weight should be. What was everyone else's progression of weights pre and post op? At first I was thinking 110, but I am conflicted because my lowest weight ever was 102 but I feel like it might be unhealthy. What was everyone's average weight loss and for those of you who already made it to your goal weight, how long did it take you to get there and do you /did you have any unexpected troubles? Any problems with skin in the end?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using BariatricPal mobile app

I am between 5'1 and 5'2... but my doctor wrote 5'1 to make sure my BMI was high enough to qualify. My highest was 235, but I got down to 190 by myself through diet and exercise. I had my surgery in August 2017. My surgery weight was 185, and today I weigh 136. My original goal weight was 150. Now, my doctor and I have decided that I should get down to 120-125 but no less. I do have some lose skin.. my doctor said I am young enough that it should "bounce" back, but I am having difficulty seeing that happen and actually it has been causing me anxiety because it seems awful and I don't have the money to have it removed...

I am between 5'1 and 5'2... but my doctor wrote 5'1 to make sure my BMI was high enough to qualify. My highest was 235, but I got down to 190 by myself through diet and exercise. I had my surgery in August 2017. My surgery weight was 185, and today I weigh 136. My original goal weight was 150. Now, my doctor and I have decided that I should get down to 120-125 but no less. I do have some lose skin.. my doctor said I am young enough that it should "bounce" back, but I am having difficulty seeing that happen and actually it has been causing me anxiety because it seems awful and I don't have the money to have it removed...
Do you mind me asking how old you are?

I am 29, I will be 30 in October :)

I am 29, I will be 30 in October [emoji4]
Oh OK so you are not much older than me by any means! Actually, that is my highest weight as well. A few years back, my previous highest weight was 190, and I lost it all in a very unhealthy way (petty much starved myself). In spite of that, I did do a lot of cardio. But still, I had loose skin even back then, which is why I was not happy with my weight until I got down to my lowest weight to date which was 102,because that was the point when my lose skin finally evened out. I'm kind of worried now though, because my highest weight went up a good bit, and I don't think it would be healthy to get that low again.... But I'm not sure. I am thinking about doing some strength training once I lose most of the weight to try and tighten everything but I'm not sure that would work. Have you tried that?

What kind of surgery did you have?

I had gastric bypass surgery. I have only done a little strength training, but I’ve been looking into doing more. Unfortunately I’ve had a stressful situation at home too which kind of messes with my weight .. I just started Water aerobics again because that was how I lost a majority of my weight when I did it by myself. Also, I downloaded some apps by Lumowell that give me exercises for different areas of my body...and I’ve been trying to do them a few times during the week, sometimes everyday if I have the energy.

I have been lucky (or maybe unlucky) that I’ve had no issues with any foods whatsoever.. But I keep looking in the mirror and seeing the skin and thinking to myself that I’m still fat. The other girl that had the surgery the same day as me has a flat stomach and she told me she doesn’t even exercise which made me a little more anxious lol..

I’ve decided I need to step up my exercises, I just wish I had more of a support group to help keep me focused..

I had gastric bypass surgery. I have only done a little strength training, but I’ve been looking into doing more. Unfortunately I’ve had a stressful situation at home too which kind of messes with my weight .. I just started Water aerobics again because that was how I lost a majority of my weight when I did it by myself. Also, I downloaded some apps by Lumowell that give me exercises for different areas of my body...and I’ve been trying to do them a few times during the week, sometimes everyday if I have the energy.

I have been lucky (or maybe unlucky) that I’ve had no issues with any foods whatsoever.. But I keep looking in the mirror and seeing the skin and thinking to myself that I’m still fat. The other girl that had the surgery the same day as me has a flat stomach and she told me she doesn’t even exercise which made me a little more anxious lol..

I’ve decided I need to step up my exercises, I just wish I had more of a support group to help keep me focused..
Well, tell you what. I don't have much of a support group either that's specific to the weight loss surgery. If you want you can email me on this app and I can give you my phone number or we can just talk through the email or whatever you want, because honestly you sound like you have the same thoughts I do, you're just further ahead because I'm only a month out from surgery. Maybe we can work through the demons together [emoji16]

That sounds great .. I’ll send you an im with my information in a moment.

My mom was 10000% supportive of my surgery.. but now I think she forgets I had it because she’s always saying “let’s go get something to eat” ... and then if I go, I always try to make sure I just get a salad because it’s the healthier option but my brain just keeps seeing that 235 lb girl that struggled constantly.

That sounds great .. I’ll send you an im with my information in a moment.

My mom was 10000% supportive of my surgery.. but now I think she forgets I had it because she’s always saying “let’s go get something to eat” ... and then if I go, I always try to make sure I just get a salad because it’s the healthier option but my brain just keeps seeing that 235 lb girl that struggled constantly.
I know what you mean completely... My mom scolded me when I didn't follow the diet progression to the T, but yet when I yell at her for flaunting oreos on video chat because they are one of my weaknesses, or when I tell her I'm gonna have fish on July 4th and her response is "FISH!?" like umm yeah mom I can't have A GRILLED STEAK, soft food remember...? Mind you, this is only one month out... And one of the last times I visited I had a mental breakdown because I had been diagnosed with fatty liver and had my gallbladder removed, and I was on a very strict diet and it was like here, here's some pork chops, some rice a roni, some twice baked potatoes... [emoji96]

But I think everyone does it. No one really understands how extreme the surgery is until they see it up close and personal. My husband's grandmother invited us to dinner, so I chose olive garden because I figured there could be some healthy options there. First thing that happened was, we opted for lemon Water, no alcohol. She was already guilt tripping over that because she wanted wine. Then we got an appetizer. I had one stuffed mushroom. And picked a couple of toppings off the salad. She's asking if I'm going to eat anything and I'm like if I eat anymore I'm not going to eat anything out of my meal. [emoji58] But I chose the salmon piccata and it was a really good choice, I managed to get a good chunk down including the broccoli and it was light in calories, and even with the sauce my stomach took it well. And by a good chunk I mean maybe an ounce and a half or something. Lol but I mean, we just can't worry about what everyone else is saying or thinking right?

Yeah I completely understand 100%. My mom tries to buy only healthy foods, and never processed foods (we lived in Europe for a while and they have better eating habits so my mom kinda picked up those), but when we came back to the US, fresh foods were more expensive and she was working so many hours that she would come home too tired to cook so we would just get something fast.

When I had the two week liver diet before surgery I thought I was going to die because I just wanted to chew something.. the liquids were killing me lol and I will admit that two days before surgery I had one small slice of pizza because I just couldn't handle the idea of possibly never being able to eat it again lol.

Sweets are also my weakness. I am diabetic too which is why I had the surgery in the first place and now my medications work so well that I have to constantly have candy in my purse which for me is bad bad bad because if I remember it is there, then I will just eat it even when I don't need it..

Yeah, I understand the family trying to guilt us to haha.. my bf is Italian and his family is straight from Italy and his mom always cooks us 3-7 course meals (or at least it seems that way to me). The first few times I went I would try to eat a little of everything so I wasn't being rude, but now she understands and just tells me to eat what ever I want and how much I can. BUT, she will bring donuts home and just put one on a plate and stick it in front of me. So I have made it a habit to eat something before I go so that I am already full at least for the first night I am there (we live 2 hours apart so I stay with his family on the weekends).

I have also found that my taste buds have changed a lot. Previously I hated sushi.. I hated the idea of sushi.. but now I can't get enough of the brown rice sushi they sell up here in the store.. My doctor said that as long as I eat only one serving (or as soon as I get full which is usually after 1/2 a serving) and I stick to the brown rice ones then it's ok.. which I was thankful for since now I crave it sometimes lol.

I was about 220lb and 5'2'' prior to my MGB last September. I look fine and feel good around 150lb and since this is my 2nd go round with WLS (I had a lap-band reversal in 2016 due to malfunction- regained a bunch of weight), I knew that the weight wouldn't come off as fast or as easy. I'm also in my mid 40's. So my goal is pretty conservative. The surgeon made my pouch pretty "generous," so I can eat a relatively decent amount of food (at least a cup almost from the get-go). However, my diet needs to be something that I can live with in the long term and life with food is good for me now. I eat a healthy diet (which I never could with lap-band), avoid simple sugars (I've been having issues with reactive hypoglycemia and I'm also a "dumper") and I continue to exercise 5-6 days/week as I've done for the past 12 years. My advice is to not worry about charts and BMI's. See where you're body leads you and think of the long game. We know that dieting and restriction doesn't work in the long term and usually eventually leads to regain. You need to find a way of eating that is liveable for you.

I am 5' 2" and started off at a relatively low BMI (for WLS) of 35 - still obese, and did have comorbidities. I am currently 147lb with a preliminary goal weight of 135, and then I will see how I feel once I get there. I would be thrilled if I could reach 115, but I'm not sure if it is realistic. I had my surgery Nov 2017, and compared to others have lost at a much slower rate, but am extremely happy with my progress so far. I have a small amount of loose skin, but I think that if I upped my exercise, that would take care of itself, either way, not enough to consider surgery I don't think.

Edited by desertdivalv

I’m 5’2 and my highest weight was 199 which was on 5/30/18. Surgery Weight was 192 on 6/6/18 and my current weight is 176. I’m almost 3 weeks post surgery. Goal weight is 140. I had the gastric sleeve!