Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy CRAZY Weight Fluctuation Since Gallbladder Surgery

Hello friends,

14 months post sleeve surgery.

Question is pertaining to gallbladder surgery.

I had the old gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago. I weigh myself every few days and my weight has been fluctuating like CRAZY!! Example: 4 weeks ago, 194 lbs.....3 weeks ago 202 pounds. Didn't think too much about it the first 2 weeks, because I was fresh out of surgery and expected some Fluid retention. Last week, 195 pounds.....3 days later, back up to 202. Today, I am at 193 lbs.

Seriously, can I really gain 7 lbs in 3 days? And now, 193?

scale is fine, husband always stays the same with his weight. I also weigh myself at the same time every time that I weigh (morning), minimal clothing.

Did anyone else go through these crazy weight fluctuations after gallbladder removal? Also, how long did it take before you got back to normal with weight readings?

Thanks!

Edited by mylighthouse

It must be Water weight given the rapid fluctuation. Are you on any new meds or did you change your diet?

Thanks for the response.

No, I have not made any changes to medications or diet except I have decreased my fat intake, as life without the gallbladder and the way I am able to handle fat is different now.

I track everything with myfitnesspal, calories will range from 950-1200 a day, carbs are good for me at the 40-60 grams a day at this stage of my weight loss journey. I also keep my Protein in the 100 grams a day range, which has worked wonderfully well.

I might add too that my Fluid intake is always high.

Ok, crazy question here, but what about bowel movements. Are your bowel movements equalling what you took in the day before? Could you be experiencing both Constipation followed by diarrhea or something like that? The gallbladder helps with digestions and our fats, helps it slide through the system easier. It could be your bowels are no longer working the same? I have my gallbladder out and if I'm not careful I can go 3 days with no bowel movements and thats where a lot of the weight fluctuations occurs for me.

Also, I find that just me, as a human, I have a +/- of 3 lbs. Could be food, could be water/salt, could be my period, could be how much air I have in my lungs...lol! Ok, maybe not that last one but you know what I mean.

37 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

Ok, crazy question here, but what about bowel movements. Are your bowel movements equalling what you took in the day before? Could you be experiencing both Constipation followed by diarrhea or something like that? The gallbladder helps with digestions and our fats, helps it slide through the system easier. It could be your bowels are no longer working the same? I have my gallbladder out and if I'm not careful I can go 3 days with no bowel movements and thats where a lot of the weight fluctuations occurs for me.

Also, I find that just me, as a human, I have a +/- of 3 lbs. Could be food, could be water/salt, could be my period, could be how much air I have in my lungs...lol! Ok, maybe not that last one but you know what I mean.

No, not crazy at all. Thanks for the response/good points, by the way.

So here's my deal with my bowels: prior to gallbladder removal I was severely, all day, every day constipated. Three days after surgery had first BM and no constipation. Good size, normal--no diarrhea. Go twice every day. No probs or inconsistencies there whatsoever...thank goodness.

Also, 46 years old, hysterectomy 7 yrs ago and still have ovaries. No periods since then. So very nice.

Now, I have seen a weight fluctuation of 1...max 2 lbs for myself every 3 days morning weigh in time. But never 3-7...7!!!

Water retention a month after surgery ya think? Scratching head.

Could be Water retention. could still be healing, yes. I don't know really where to point you to, I guess my next thought would be sodium sneaking in your diet somehow? Like I was using the Unjury chicken broth. Well, ends up I was getting like 3 time the daily allotment of sodium. lol!

I am SO glad to hear your doing well with the gallbladder removal. I was one who had diarrhea like every day and now...not so much. hahah!

14 minutes ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

Could be Water retention. could still be healing, yes. I don't know really where to point you to, I guess my next thought would be sodium sneaking in your diet somehow? Like I was using the unjury chicken broth. Well, ends up I was getting like 3 time the daily allotment of sodium. lol!

I am SO glad to hear your doing well with the gallbladder removal. I was one who had diarrhea like every day and now...not so much. hahah!

I will check my sodium on myfitnesspal diary. I doubt that is the culprit with my current diet, but definitely worth a look.

Thanks, I am feeling so much better after the gb surgery! Hope your bm's get regulated.

Appreciate your good ideas.

Very unlikely since it sounds like your husband also uses the scale, but a few people reported weird readings on electronic scales if their batteries were low. Might be worth a try.

12 minutes ago, Losebig said:

Very unlikely since it sounds like your husband also uses the scale, but a few people reported weird readings on electronic scales if their batteries were low. Might be worth a try.

Thank you for the idea, I will check that.

In your first response you had mentioned Water weight...that's what I figure. Also think maybe Lizzie has something with the body still healing.

It was bothering me, but I'm over it now.

Appreciate your responses!