Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need protein powder help!! Surgery tomorrow!

Officially freaking out...surgery is tomorrow morning!!! I’ve been trying to get ready and have most of what I need at home. Ventured out to GNC today to look for Isopure (read it’s good during pos-op liquid diet) and wanted to look at some Protein Powder. I am really worried about getting my Protein in and it is all very overwhelming.

Interestingly, while I was trying to look at all the options, a couple with a baby came in and I overheard their convo (very small store). The lady explained that she’s always had trouble gaining weight and once she got pregnant and had her daughter (super cute btw ) she thought her ability to gain weight would get better but it actually got worse. So the husband cut her off and said they needed a weight gain protein powder and basically after that, the conversation ended up being between the GNC employee and the husband. He wanted whatever had the most and best chance and it didn’t matter how much she had to drink in a day, even though she kept telling him that she would not be able to drink that much. To top it all off, he ended up choosing her flavor and a mix cup (even though she said she didn’t like the color).

Sharing bc I was put off by the husbands attitude and felt bad for her. I could be completely wrong here but wouldn’t surprise me if he gets on her about her weight, maybe about not eating enough, her appearance, etc. Most of us are on the other side of that spectrum but it made me realize that we might be going through the same things in terms of insecurities and it was eye-opening. Because I am overweight, I sometimes look at skinny people and feel jealous but didn’t really think about any struggles they might have. Thought I’d share.

Anywho! Lol. They left with a giant tub of protein powder and I left with nothing! Lol. I was so overwhelmed with the choices I couldn’t make a decision. So asking for a friend I hope you guys can give me some recommendations of what you’re using. I worry about fat and calorie content and maybe how often you’re using the powder.....and do I really need it??

Thank you!!!!

Many experience problems drinking Protein Shakes. I hated them. But in the beginning I drank them, three 16-ounce Protein shakes a day, in order to meet my protein requirements. You do not have to like protein shakes only tolerate them. There are many varieties of protein shakes available today. Experiment until you can find one you can tolerate.

Some protein shakes can be bought ready made, but generally I bought the protein powder in bulk over the internet. I blended the shakes using a Ninja blender (single serving cup). I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

Without sufficient protein, your body will scavenge protein from other areas of your body, such as your muscles. Protein is extremely important after surgery as its job in the body is to build and maintain tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein caloric malnutrition. Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, Hair loss and muscle wasting. Immediate post op, protein promotes healing of the staple line and incisions.

Hi!

Best wishes on a fast recovery and congratulations on taking this great, and courageous step forward!

I had a VSG 2 years ago and have been so pleased with Unjury Protein Powder. They have a starter pack that you can order and try all of the flavors. You can get rush delivery if you call the 1-800-517-5111 number to order and ask for it, otherwise, it will take a week or so to get a delivery from online at www.unjury.com. I used the chicken Soup flavor after surgery and the unflavored, but shortly thereafter I have only used the chocolate splendor flavor exclusively. It tastes like chocolate milk, but less sweet and doesn't have the strange Protein aftertaste.

Hope this helps! :)

I drank the Premier shakes prior to surgery. After surgery I hated them. The texture now makes me gag. I do however like the Premier clear Protein. I found them at Sam's. I think it's 20 grams of protein per bottle. Also Syntrax whey protein is good. They come in all flavors. I love them as well. I'm a person that hates flavored water but I like these. I would put the entire pack in a small bottle of Water in the beginning. It was kind if thick in the small bottle but I knew I would be my protein in. I'm currently have the lemonade and caramel macchiato. I make iced and hot coffee. You can get it from Amazon.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 185
GW below 200