Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So happy and need advice

I did not have my bypass (12/27/17) as WLS. It was done to repair a hiatal hernia and severe GERD. In fact when the doctor got in there ⅓ of my stomach was in my chest cavity so they also had to repair my very torn diaphragm.

I could not be happier that I had this procedure and (knock on wood), I am doing incredibly well. So well in fact that at my first appointment with my doctor (9 days post surgery), the doctor cleared me to eat all foods. No more stages.

I have been still following the progression - just plan to speed it up. But looking for advice on what to try next. Have done cottage cheese. Have had some tilapia. If I progress to the soft foods stage in a couple days, what do you suggest to try next.

And when did you start adding some crunchy carbs. I have some recipes for low carb crackers that would probably be great with tuna “salad”, etc. But what I really want is a salad - how long to wait for that? How long did you wait under normal progression to introduce roughage and raw vegetables?

I know this is not the normal scenario for WLS surgery, but I am approved my by doctor for all of this.

Thanks!!

For me it was after about 4 weeks, at two weeks out from surgery my Dr allowed me to move on to pureed food, after another two weeks of that I was able to move on to "normal" food. There were still a couple of restrictions but not many. During this phase is when I tried salad and raw veggies, I was just instructed to make sure that I ate small amounts and that I ate slowly, and only introduced one thing at a time to ensure that I was not going to have an adverse reaction to anything.

By the way, sorry that I did not say it in my post but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!:D Your health is about to improve drastically! I know mine has, I just wish that I would have taken the time to do this earlier!!!

By the way, sorry that I did not say it in my post but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!![emoji3] Your health is about to improve drastically! I know mine has, I just wish that I would have taken the time to do this earlier!!!

Thank you! . So much more to go. ;)

Hi Brenda - I am 4 weeks out, and eating salad. I do steam spinach quickly or else the leaves stitch a little, but cucumber, bell peppers, zucchini, marrow, tomatoes - good chew and they are good. Not great volumes post surgery - once I eat my Protein there isn’t huge room left!