Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vaping marijuana problems before surgery? Looking for advice

Hello, I am new here and had a question regarding some new info I just received. I have been open about smoking and even vaping marijuana with my surgeons. Today, at my pre surgical testing the nurse practitioner asked if I smoke and I told her I use marijuana. A few hours later my surgeon's nurse calls me in a panic. Apparently there is a strict no nicotine policy for all patients. It seems my vaping marijuana may be an issue after all. I would've had no problem only smoking or completely stopping this month had I known it could impact my surgery. However, I don't see how vaping weed interferes with a no nicotine policy, I only vape weed! Please can someone tell me if they think my surgeon will cancel my surgery because of this?

I don’t think so. The concern is drug interaction with nicotine and the anesthesia. Marijuana doesn’t have the same interactive effects. Though, because of its status as an illegal drug (in most states), it’s been very difficult to research things like this (I’m a marijuana researcher btw). This last issue may be of the most concern for your surgeon (just the unknown).

@psyance Do you think it's possible my nurse is unaware you can vape marijuana without vaping nicotine? I know for a fact my vape only has weed in it, but now I'm worried I ruined my opportunity to have this surgery.

Possibly. I would talk to your surgeon. I don’t think it will ruin your opportunity though. I’d be surprised if this changes anything tbh.

Thanks so much for the help @psyance

I am a casual marijuana vape user. I vaped a few times the month of my surgery and I definitely used it in the days following to help with the nausea I was feeling. I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this to the dr or pre-op people because I am not a chronic user, so I guess I didn't think it was that big of a deal...Marijuana is not nicotine anyway...weird. I am 2 weeks out of surgery and I feel great - after getting home from the hospital, I vaped a very small amount for the next 2-3 days to help me through but that was it. I never filled the RX for the pain meds. I also had a hernia that was repaired - that was more painful than the sleeve...

I would take the advice from Psyance and just confer with the surgeon. Good Luck to you!

Same here, but my surgeon told me it was more about the thc interfering with the staple healing process. He told me not to vape until I was fully healed (6 weeks).

Same here, but my surgeon told me it was more about the thc interfering with the staple healing process. He told me not to vape until I was fully healed (6 weeks).

Do you know if we are allowed to smoke weed after surgery? I’m 4 days post op and i was thinking smoking it to help with the pain.

Smoking is definitely off limits. You could cough and tear your staples. He said no mmj of any kind until at least the staples are healed.

Smoking is definitely off limits. You could cough and tear your staples. He said no mmj of any kind until at least the staples are healed.

Makes perfect sense! Thank you!!!

I would call them back and make them aware that there is no nicotine in what you use. Only THC/CBD oil and PPG.