Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bowel Obstruction

I was wondering if anyone has had a bowel obstruction corrective surgery and what their experience was in recovery? I had an open exploratory surgery 5 days ago to correct a bowel obstruction. The cause was scar tissue from my gastric bypass that was 10 months ago. I'm still having cramping and not sure if that is recovering from the surgery or something more. Any experience shared is much appreciated.

Hi, Mommyonthemove, so sorry to hear you're going through this.

I too had a bowel obstruction about 4 years ago and word for word you described my experience and why it happened.

The 1st surgery for it I healed surprisingly well. I went home after maybe a week and went home.

I did fine for about a week or little less and one day I took my son and a friend to a trampoline place and while I was there I suddenly got the chills and started shaking uncontrollably we had to leave.

It got worse on the drive home. When I got home I put on pajamas, thick robe and wrapped up in blanket and went outside in the sun, this is in July, and called my surgeon and he told me to go to the ER.

Long story short, went, got admitted and ended up with another obstruction and it was then we decided to do a reversal. Another surgery, this one took me a long time to bounce back from. I was in the hospital for over a month and came home with IV antibiotics and feeding tube.

So, you're not alone. I thought I was the only one who had these type of problems until I started digging into things deeper. I'm not on here much but do follow many FB groups that the topics are a match for me.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Edited by Mbrock

I was wondering if anyone has had a bowel obstruction corrective surgery and what their experience was in recovery? I had an open exploratory surgery 5 days ago to correct a bowel obstruction. The cause was scar tissue from my gastric bypass that was 10 months ago. I'm still having cramping and not sure if that is recovering from the surgery or something more. Any experience shared is much appreciated.

Hi,

I have had two bowel obstructions post rny The first almost a year after the surgery and it took me about A month to recovery. I felt that the obstruction was hard to recover from because I had to go back to a liquid/soft food diet. The second time around about nine months later I had a speedy recovery after surgery I was back at home within 24 hours and back at work within three days. Hope
You have a good recovery

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I still have painful cramping, but am able to pass gas and have bowel movements. I am hoping it is my body adjusting to digesting and passing foods again. It's not clear what foods may be triggering the gas that is causing the cramp pain. (I was not put on any food restrictions)

I have a follow-up appointment with my surgeon in 5 days.

I've. Had band removed February 2016 and rny sept 2016 First came strictures

which closed small intestines Five ballon endoscopes to correct. Then came stent to hold open intestines. Stent broke loose and migrated. Three surgeries later problem corrected. For a week then came abscess infection. One month later total blockage. That was most painful. Two months later in June another blockage requiring intestine resection. That was mid June 2017.

Now partial blockage. This makes me an expert on blockages😱😱

Bottom line do not ignore symptoms. Which are rolling cramps after eating with excess salvating followed by dry heaving