Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Banders

Hi all. Just had surgery September 14. Going good. Being that I am 9 days out and still on full liquids for yet another week....just curious how others are doing at this stage.

1) How much weight have you lost since surgery?

I've lost 9lbs in the first 9 days. That's pretty good to me!

2) What diet stage are you at?

I'm on full liquids (or liquids, cream based Soups and mushy foods as I like to call it).

3) Did anyone have hiatal hernia repair with theirs?

Hello! I had my surgery this past Friday. I was discharged pretty quickly that night. I’ve been managing with the pain but boy am I hungry! And boy do I hate it. I thought I’d not feel like eating for a little bit post surgery. This clear liquid diet is hard especially when I’m makimg dinners and kids lunches!

Hi there So you are a week after me then. Congrats! The clear liquid diet- well honestly it stinks! I only had 3 days on that. I will be in full liquids now until this coming Monday- will go to puréed. The liquids are rough. Full liquids are better because i could add cream Soups, SF pudding, High Protein yogurt, and some refined grits. Oh and Protein Shakes. Still- I'm over all that too! Can't wait for puréed! Sick of soups and such.

I am not cooking right now- making hubby and son fin for themselves! When I start puréed foods I will start cooking again.

@ratcat2 We're BandTwins. My ReBirthday is 9/14 also. Answers to your question:

1. I lost 13lbs in a week. Somehow I've gained 2 lbs and I threw my scale out the window (no, seriously I did).

2. Still on liquids. I've gotten creative with these. I had the pot liquor from cooked collard greens and chicken drippings as a Sunday dinner. LOL.

3. Hernia repair? Nope.

Cooking for ma son is a nightmare. It makes me super depressed and I either go outside on my back porch or I go up to my room. Either way I get a good cry in. My doctor has me on liquids til Nov 1 😩. But again, I get creative. Butternut Squash Soup is the BEST. I tried guspacho and didn't like it. I'm making Pho broth (Vietnamese noodle dish) tonight in my crockpot. Every day has its challenges, don't get me wrong but like they say in AA... One day at a time, it works if you work it.

Edited by DrGee

[mention=326097]ratcat2[/mention] We're BandTwins. My ReBirthday is 9/14 also. Answers to your question:
1. I lost 13lbs in a week. Somehow I've gained 2 lbs and I threw my scale out the window (no, seriously I did).
2. Still on liquids. I've gotten creative with these. I had the pot liquor from cooked collard greens and chicken drippings as a Sunday dinner. LOL.
3. Hernia repair? Nope.
Cooking for ma son is a nightmare. It makes me super depressed and I either go outside on my back porch or I go up to my room. Either way I get a good cry in. My doctor has me on liquids til Nov 1 [emoji30]. But again, I get creative. Butternut Squash Soup is the BEST. I tried guspacho and didn't like it. I'm making Pho broth (Vietnamese noodle dish) tonight in my crockpot. Every day has its challenges, don't get me wrong but like they say in AA... One day at a time, it works if you work it.

Too funny. Don't throw your scale out the window! Lol. Hope you replaced it!

I have had a day or two where I gained a pound (and don't understand how that's even possible when you don't eat!), but usually in a couple days I lose two. That happened a couple days ago in fact. Just stay true to the process and it all falls in place (I'm talking to myself too!!)

I'm curious why your doctor has you on liquids so long?? That seems extreme. Honestly, I'm so over liquids. Can't wait for puréed food come Monday! I'm so ready to move forward. I just crave to get to the point where I can eat a 1/2 cup food at the end of the post-op phase and can focus on normal healthy kind of foods. I get so full now from 1/4c soup, that I wonder if I will ever be able to double that - and then make it real food on top of that. Guess time will tell!!!!

@ratcat2 I have NO CLUE what the 6 week rationale is. But, it PT what it is. As far as being "over" liquids, it's too early n the game got me to be there. This is why I'm being savvy with my choices. I had creamy Tomato that tasted like Chef Boy r D. THE BOMB.

Has your Dr added Fluid to your band yet? When u think about it, that's when I start purée food...on my 6 week visit. He said that it'll take 6 weeks for my insides to adjust to the band.

As for the scale, too late. It's gone to scale hell for being a liar. I see my personal trainer every Mon and Wed. Her scale said 18 lbs. That sounds more like the truth. Either way, I'm not looking at numbers again until I can actually SEE change.

No my doctor won't add liquid to my band for 4 more weeks. It will be 6 weeks from date of surgery. After the fill, full liquids again for two days, then a normal diet! I can't wait. I've been managing then 2oz (1/4c) diet, but I will be glad to go to a 1/2c and have some normal foods again. My family loves Mexican food. That has been SO HARD to go in there and drink chicken Soup broth (leaving the good stuff) and watching them pork out on chips and all the yummy foods. That being SAID....I'm doing good with my strength to stay the course. I've had plenty of that food in my life and I see where it's gotten me!!!

As for the scale, I get excited to step on it every day. For me it's an accountability measure, and if I don't lose a pound for a couple days, I will lose two the next time. Every person is different with that though.